Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   My First Pocket Gun - LCP (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1483040)

VonHoffmann 04-21-2013 09:58

My First Pocket Gun - LCP

Picked up my first pocket gun this week and am very pleasantly surprised.

I live in Ft. Worth Texas where we wear shorts 6 months out of the year and 4 of those months are very very hot. I have always found myself not carrying as much during the hot months due to the heat and the ability to conceal becoming more difficult. Here in Texas it is a big No No if you print so the option of concealing my glock 26 under a t-shirt can be difficult. Plus with the heat wearing a cover garment, like a hawaiian shirt or 5.11 button down, becomes to much for someone who is naturally prone to sweat.

As a result I decided to pick up a pocket gun and had decided on the Ruger LCP due to it's great reviews, reliability and while I would like to own a Sig 238 I don't want to pay the price tag for it (i have both a son and a wife in college and i am the single wage earner).

I picket up an extra mag and the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster to go with my "starter package." I have been very excited about how easy it is to conceal in my front pocket of both shorts and jeans (and i don't wear baggy jeans). In addition to the son in college I also have a 3 year old son and a 5 year old girl (starting over http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...l_1/smile2.gif). I love the fact that i can be carrying this pistol and not think twice about picking one of my kids up to hold in public for fear of printing.

I do miss carrying a larger caliber/higher capacity weapon but I now have no excuse not to carry 7 days a week even at home!

I will never again be a sheep!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8...ceca57b4_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8406/8...43e11d3d_z.jpg

Joshhtn 04-21-2013 10:12

Congrats on a fantastic firearm!! Mine is in my front pocket as we speak.

Pier23 04-21-2013 10:20

The pocket mouseguns are the perfect thing to have with you ALL the time, no excuses!

Mine is the KelTec P3AT, and the KT fanbois claim that Ruger just wholesale ripped off the P3 design due to poor patent filings. No idea if that has any truth, but it makes for a good reason for the P3 folks to peer down their working man's noses at those who choose press popularity over everyday functionality <gggggg>

I have played with the LCP, you will really enjoy it. congrats!

TxYankee 04-21-2013 11:07

I like you am in TX with an infant son. I also picked up a pocket gun yesterday. A S&W Bodyguard. My question is do you like your nemesis? Also, I am a lefty and was wondering if its ambidextrous? Enjoy your new purchase this summer. I know I will

TexasPOff 04-21-2013 12:39

I have two of them and they are outstanding for their intended purpose. I pocket carry mine as well even when I am carrying my 19 off duty. FWIW, I actually ran our standard LE qualification course with mine including the 25 yard shots. I put everything in the 8, 9, and 10 with both of them. For a pocket pistol, they are almost unbelievably accurate. I have never had an issue with either of them. I carry one, a hard chromed version and my wife carries the other, standard black. She is a lefty and has no issues qualifying with them either.

TXPO

porschedog 04-21-2013 12:43

My Elsie is perfect for warm-weather carry
I added a font sight that I can actually see and the accuracy -in my hands-is fine out to 15 yards
I have no complaints.

C.O. 04-21-2013 14:23

Congrats. While maybe not the best caliber, they are just about perfect as a CCW. Mine sits in my pocket as I type this.

bac1023 04-21-2013 14:25

Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

vettely 04-21-2013 14:25

I use the exact same set up as yours (and a LCR).

Cole125 04-21-2013 14:58

Congrats, a .380 in the front pocket beats a .45 left at home any day.

I have a Kahr P380 which is about the same size as the LCP and it goes with me everyday even if I am carrying a bigger gun.

Also look into getting a Crimson Trace laser for your LCP, I have one on my P380 and it really improves my accuracy.

DrRobert 04-21-2013 17:46

I have an lcp and just bought some federal hydra shok HP for it. I'm having a lot of problems getting it to chamber a round reliably. Shoots fmj fine.

DanRoid 04-21-2013 17:55

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 232864

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

VonHoffmann 04-21-2013 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxYankee (Post 20207542)
I like you am in TX with an infant son. I also picked up a pocket gun yesterday. A S&W Bodyguard. My question is do you like your nemesis? Also, I am a lefty and was wondering if its ambidextrous? Enjoy your new purchase this summer. I know I will

So far the nemesis seems just fine. I have only had it since Thursday but it fits both cargo shorts and levi 501 front pockts just fine. It also does not seem to come out with the gun during my practice draw drills.

At this point i don't see the need for any other holster.

It is ambidextrous. The picture of the holster above is actually the back side of the holster and the front side is exactly the same.

See you around town brother!

DanRoid 04-21-2013 17:58

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this DiamondBack 9mm (DB9) after I sold my LCP. I liked the LCP, but I like the 9mm round better. Attachment 232865

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

mikegun 04-21-2013 18:26

Congrats, great little gun, I have an lcp w laser on same,i hate to say it but I think u will find eventually the nemesis will print, you should think about a leather back poc wallet, flap, holster. NO PRINT EVER IN FRONT OR BACK POCKET..

VonHoffmann 04-21-2013 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikegun (Post 20208815)
Congrats, great little gun, I have an lcp w laser on same,i hate to say it but I think u will find eventually the nemesis will print, you should think about a leather back poc wallet, flap, holster. NO PRINT EVER IN FRONT OR BACK POCKET..

Thanks for the insight! Do you have a recomendation and link for a good leather back pocket wallet?

mikegun 04-23-2013 10:13

yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by VonHoffmann (Post 20209044)
Thanks for the insight! Do you have a recomendation and link for a good leather back pocket wallet?

Sure TALON TRAINING GROOP makes an excellent leather back pocket holster, also POCKETHOLSTERS>COM, about the same, also STONER HOLSTERS makes a good one, with STONER being the cheapest...let me know what y think, I have had all three at one time or another.. BTW TALON has a few demos on u tube if you want to see them and how they work, STONER has one or 2 as well..

donmor53 04-23-2013 11:16

Nice weapon...nice choice!

To me the Nemesis is the best pocket holster around for a small pocket auto. Not only is it a good product...it's extremely reasonably priced for it's funtion.

wjv 04-23-2013 12:29

Regarding printing.

I went to a local craft store and bought a 8.5"x11" sheet of 1/4 inch heavy art foam for a couple bucks. I cut out a small rectangle, maybe 2"x4-5" and I slip that in front of my holster. It breaks up any printing, and since it's only 2" tall, it doesn't interfere with the holster or the drawing of the gun.

rednoved 04-23-2013 14:03

Congrats on your choice. I love how easy my LCP conceals. I use the DeSantis Nemesis for my LCP most of time. I use the Ruger magazine finger extension and the Hogue LCP grip on mine. I have pretty good sized hands so that combo makes this gun a lot easier to get a good grip and shoot comfortably.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/pict...pictureid=6465

What kind of ammo do you carry, or plan to carry?

BTW. I really haven't had an issue with printing. There are days there is obviously something in my pocket, but most people would think it's just another large smartphone.