Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Gun Range Shooting (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1482400)

Kichigai 04-17-2013 10:24

Gun Range Shooting

I live in south florida and the gun ranges seem to have a lot of restrictions on the type of ammo you can use. So i end up buying what they have but they are charging like $25 for 20 rounds of .45 ACP. Do you think I can just pick up ammo at walmart FMJ for cheaper and use it?

SCmasterblaster 04-17-2013 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr30s (Post 20194073)
I live in south florida and the gun ranges seem to have a lot of restrictions on the type of ammo you can use. So i end up buying what they have but they are charging like $25 for 20 rounds of .45 ACP. Do you think I can just pick up ammo at walmart FMJ for cheaper and use it?

I'd go with Walmart. They have been supporting shooters for many years.

skeeter7 04-17-2013 12:02

If you can find some...

Scrappy 04-17-2013 14:19

They can only tell you what ammo to shoot in their own guns, but not yours unless they are paying for it!
If your Wally world has ammo, your lucky!

Shiloh228 04-17-2013 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrappy (Post 20194731)
They can only tell you what ammo to shoot in their own guns, but not yours unless they are paying for it!

Hmmm...

If I understand range rules/restrictions properly, the range can (and should) restrict what's fired in all guns, theirs or mine/yours -- for the safety of all shooters.

The range I use does not allow steel (bullet, not case) ammo, nor frangible nor tracers/incendiary nor armor-piercing. I'm glad for that!

Kichigai 04-17-2013 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiloh228 (Post 20194855)
Hmmm...

If I understand range rules/restrictions properly, the range can (and should) restrict what's fired in all guns, theirs or mine/yours -- for the safety of all shooters.

The range I use does not allow steel (bullet, not case) ammo, nor frangible nor tracers/incendiary nor armor-piercing. I'm glad for that!

The ranges seem to have a mile long list of things you cant shot so i feel like i am stuck using there ammo and paying way too much

QNman 04-17-2013 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr30s (Post 20194939)
The ranges seem to have a mile long list of things you cant shot so i feel like i am stuck using there ammo and paying way too much

Stay away from .mil surplus and Russian and you will meet 99% of all range rules I've ever seen.

Bruce M 04-17-2013 15:53

Other than armor piercing and some shotgun loads the range in Pembroke Park has no issue with bringing your own ammunition.

Kichigai 04-17-2013 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce M (Post 20195058)
Other than armor piercing and some shotgun loads the range in Pembroke Park has no issue with bringing your own ammunition.

thanks for the heads up :cheers:

barth 04-17-2013 16:15

Rules at ranges can vary.
Often;
1) You are required to use their ammo in their rental guns.
2) Reloads may not be allowed in your gun.
3) Armor piercing, tracer & other specialty ammo may not be allowed in your gun.
4) There may be caliber restrictions for their backstops on the pistol range - particularly important with AK/AR pistols.
Get a list of your local ranges and call them to discuss.

Good Luck

vafish 04-17-2013 16:34

Quote:

Many ranges have rules that only ammo purchased at the range can be fired there.

Private property, their rules, don't like it, don't shoot there.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

DonD 04-17-2013 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafish (Post 20195254)
Many ranges have rules that only ammo purchased at the range can be fired there.

Private property, their rules, don't like it, don't shoot there.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

Pretty crappy situation if that's the only nearby range and you have to put up with petty, gouging attitudes. Fortunately, I have never had to deal with that sort of nonsense. Don

Kichigai 04-17-2013 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonD (Post 20195619)
Pretty crappy situation if that's the only nearby range and you have to put up with petty, gouging attitudes. Fortunately, I have never had to deal with that sort of nonsense. Don

Many ranges actually require you to purchase their ammo in order to use their range..........letting them charge whatever they want

bac1023 04-17-2013 20:58

Quote:

I hate to say it, but ranges can pretty much tell you whatever they want. That said, I don't shoot indoors very often. I hate it.

Scrappy 04-18-2013 08:10

I don't know, I go to range with my ammo shoot it go home, that's all.

ashecht 04-18-2013 08:15

Some ranges only let u shoot lead free rounds too!

DonD 04-18-2013 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr30s (Post 20195737)
Many ranges actually require you to purchase their ammo in order to use their range..........letting them charge whatever they want

Yes, I know that but I think that's simply wrong. Why should you be forced to pay for overpriced ammo? Many people reload and do so safely.

I have three calibers (.500 Mag, .300WSM, .458 Win Mag) that are prohibitively expensive to buy commercial ammo for. So should I have to buy theirs and in any event they probably don't have it and I want to tailor what I shoot to what suits my goals/objectives?

Not attacking you here, just don't like such practices. Yes, it's their business but that doesn't make the practice customer friendly. Don

dajcarroll 04-18-2013 10:31

Quote:

Completely false. They'll ask you to leave, and if repeated they ban you from the range.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Ricky Ricardo 04-18-2013 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr30s (Post 20194073)

As someone has already said, some ranges insist you use only ammo purchased from them.

But if they don't restrict you to just their stuff, then you're probably okay. For me personally, if a range insists I only use what they sell, then I take my business elsewhere. I'll only shoot good quality stuff for the sake of my firearms and for my personal safety, but that's just me.

I've found that the prices that ranges charge for their own ammo is usually higher than what I can find elsewhere.

Also, some ranges use ammo that I've never heard of, which makes me think they may be reloads. I won't use reloads since I don't know who loaded them. Again, that's just me.

Regards,

Ricky

Scrappy 04-18-2013 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajcarroll (Post 20197728)
Completely false. They'll ask you to leave, and if repeated they ban you from the range.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Look, I go to a few ranges with my ammo. Ive never been questioned, bothered, I shoot it then I leave. If there is a problem with me shooting my ammo then I don't need to go there. I am not purchasing their over priced ammo, as ammo cost are through the roof these days as it is.
They do require me to use their ammo in their guns if I rent one, In which I will pay for one box to make them happy then use my own after said box is finished!
It is what it is!