Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Survival/Preparedness Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   How prepared are you for Nukes? Really... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1481539)

Aceman 04-11-2013 17:08

How prepared are you for Nukes? Really...

Obviously, a direct hit is a moot point. But after we get outside the serious destruction and vaporization zone, how well geared up (Knowledge, skill, and materials) are you to survive?

Me, not really at all. I've got a lot of other things on my list above that. A lot of my current preps would help me avoid exposure, but I don't pack iodine, lead lined rooms, gieger counters etc...I just feel that a lot of Nuke survival would be about highly specialized gear, lots of training, and in reality I'd have neither and be fooling myself. But I could be wrong.

Just an entertaining consideration, given NK's wackiness. You know what if they had channeled all there efforts into one stealthy bird and it actually caught a good tailwind, and USAF failed to respond due to disbelief it could happen, etc...

cesaros 04-11-2013 17:10

I'd like to hear from GT folks who have experienced a nuclear holocaust :)

really give some insight into "how well geared up" one should be.

GT4494 04-11-2013 17:51

This is why I have always lived near a "First Strike" target. The rest of you can sit around and think about how long you have until you are going to die, I'll be dust blowing in the wind. :cool:

gnepig 04-11-2013 18:24

Aceman, You know that McDill Air Force Base is a very likely target right? We also have 3 Nuke power plants here?

We only live 40 miles south of McDill, not sure preparing is an option for us either. We have NBC masks and potassium iodate pills but not too many.
Looking forward to more ideas on how one would plan for such an incident also.

ancient_serpent 04-11-2013 18:26

This is one of the things that you can only do so much for. Gas masks, NBC suits and the like can only be used for limited periods of time and require a great deal of logistical support that is beyond most of us.
From a poor memory, some basic things you can do about preventing some of the effects of radiological threats:
-particulate masks
-food and water from clean sources
-potassium iodate tablets
-ensure that you're under cover from any fallout material
-long handled bristle brushes and plenty of water to decon when moving back indoors.

I have some of my manuals outside, I'll try to look up some material later. Not sure how much would be applicable to civilians

LongGun1 04-11-2013 18:36

For the average prepper..

Download NWSS, read it & buy a hard copy

http://www.oism.org/nwss/

If you assimilate the data in the book & are capable of utilizing it post-strike..

..then you are light years ahead of the clueless poor souls in the majority.

As for me......I am not the average prepper & have many preps of this nature I hope to never use!

For if I do.....woe to you! :shocked:

Aceman 04-11-2013 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnepig (Post 20177513)
Aceman, You know that McDill Air Force Base is a very likely target right? We also have 3 Nuke power plants here?

We only live 40 miles south of McDill, not sure preparing is an option for us either. We have NBC masks and potassium iodate pills but not too many.
Looking forward to more ideas on how one would plan for such an incident also.

And thus I don't worry about it. I'll either be totally immune, or totally ionized.

Cali-Glock 04-11-2013 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongGun1 (Post 20177562)
For the average prepper..

Download NWSS, read it & buy a hard copy

http://www.oism.org/nwss/

If you assimilate the data in the book & are capable of utilizing it post-strike..

..then you are light years ahead of the clueless poor souls in the majority.

As for me......I am not the average prepper & have many preps of this nature I hope to never use!

For if I do.....woe to you! :shocked:

Great book!

There are a number of Cresson H. Kearny (Author of Nuclear War Survival Skills) videos on youtube as I recall.

Lots of free resources here (and some not so free ones also)
http://www.radmeters4u.com/

gnepig 04-11-2013 21:59

Well, took us 2 1/2 hours but we got the NWSS book loaded to thumb drive and down to 475 pages to print... Then we went on to Amazon and immediately found 22 of the books used for $12.85 plus shipping... what an evening, I love my wife.

randrew379 04-11-2013 22:39

Tin foil doesn't work for nukes?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

LongGun1 04-11-2013 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnepig (Post 20178228)
Well, took us 2 1/2 hours but we got the NWSS book loaded to thumb drive and down to 475 pages to print... Then we went on to Amazon and immediately found 22 of the books used for $12.85 plus shipping... what an evening, I love my wife.

Nice! :thumbsup:

All 22 books for $12.85......or $12.85 each?

Either way ....nice score!

Batesmotel 04-11-2013 23:46

I'm not. You're not. None of us are.

I was a NBC training NCO in the Marines.
Nukes suck but not as bad as Bio.

Aceman 04-12-2013 05:57

LG1 - Great link!

A lot of the stuff was prepper 101, but a whole lot was very informative!

Stevekozak 04-12-2013 07:10

Really the only prep I have for it beyond my normal preps is some potassium iodate tablets. So,.....not really at all.

AK_Stick 04-12-2013 09:29

I don't think even the .mil is really prepared for that.

Especially considering the size of the warheads the countries capable of hitting the US boast.

lawman800 04-12-2013 10:14

I live close to downtown L.A. so I prep by not worrying about it since I will be gone as soon as I see the flash. Besides, who wants to live in a post-nuclear disaster world where you have to worry about rampaging 3 eyed cannibal mutants?

jason10mm 04-12-2013 11:05

Fortunately (sorta) for most of us I think radiological preps are unnecessary, either you buy it right away or you evac. What we need are preps in case of a limited strike, like someone popping a nuke off in a commercial harbor or something. This would cause temporary shortages and probably a significant amount of civil unrest, especially if you live within a few hundred miles. Here is where stored food and the like will help you ride out the ensuing chaos until the government can restore a sense of stability and supply routes.

Heck, some one pops off a nuke in the panama canal, we will feel it! Stuff will get real expensive for a long while.

But trying to survive in the fallout zone of a nuclear detonation, especially the modern yield warheads, yeah, good luck.

Aceman 04-12-2013 11:25

I think serious pandemic is similar. Best prep is stay home, stay indoors, unless you really need to leave. In which case leave.

But the in between space is not so appealing. Too much hazard, too much risk, and that's for well trained well equipped people.

But what about the periphery? What if you ARE there?

John Rambo 04-12-2013 12:33

The only ones who would want to nuke us right now are North Korea. The only target of interest near me is MacDill. As far as we know, they have a 40kt bomb. Projections don't show the fallout reaching me before I'd have time to bug out. I suppose I could stock some Potassium Iodide being that I'm still in my 20s so my risk of cancer would be huge, but unless we get totally pummeled by nukes itd largely be a nonissue.

Preps are great, but knowledge is better.

AK_Stick 04-12-2013 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Rambo (Post 20179878)
The only ones who would want to nuke us right now are North Korea. The only target of interest near me is MacDill. As far as we know, they have a 40kt bomb. Projections don't show the fallout reaching me before I'd have time to bug out. I suppose I could stock some Potassium Iodide being that I'm still in my 20s so my risk of cancer would be huge, but unless we get totally pummeled by nukes itd largely be a nonissue.

Preps are great, but knowledge is better.

They don't have any weapon system capable of hitting the west coast, I'm pretty sure FL is safe.