Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I'm a little concerned about some of the new gun owners. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478199)

jame 03-21-2013 22:39

I'm a little concerned about some of the new gun owners.

I hate to be indelicate, because we're all "2nd Amendment, HELL YEAH!" around here, but is anyone mildly concerned about some of the new gun owners that have zero experience with firearms?

I've talked a bit with some of the guys at my local place of business, and they say they do. My concern is that the new guy is going to come home from work and throw his loaded G26 in his sock drawer when he gets home, without a second thought that his 6 year old will get his hands on it.

Has anyone else had the same thoughts?

Hawkeye16 03-21-2013 22:41

I'm worried too. So many accidental shootings around here lately. Someone just shot themselves in the hand while upholstering and another while they were cleaning. Pulled the trigger cause they thought it was empty... With their other hand over the barrel.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

JohnnyReb 03-21-2013 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jame (Post 20111540)
I hate to be indelicate, because we're all "2nd Amendment, HELL YEAH!" around here, but is anyone mildly concerned about some of the new gun owners that have zero experience with firearms?

I've talked a bit with some of the guys at my local place of business, and they say they do. My concern is that the new guy is going to come home from work and throw his loaded G26 in his sock drawer when he gets home, without a second thought that his 6 year old will get his hands on it.

Has anyone else had the same thoughts?

Yes, but it's their responsibility to get training and guidance.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

smokeross 03-21-2013 22:46

My Dad kept his Colt Woodsman in his sock drawer. Still does actually. He is nearly 87 y.o. and although the sights look fuzzy to his old eyes, he can still bounce a target along the ground with it shooting from the hip.
We all knew the gun was there in his drawer, but knew better than to touch it.
I guess things are different now days. I keep mine locked up unless I am using them.

jame 03-21-2013 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyReb (Post 20111543)
Yes, but it's their responsibility to get training and guidance.

I understand that. But that doesn't squelch my concerns when I find out that my son in law gets home from work and throws his compact nine on the kitchen counter as he heads for the shower. I have a six year old grandson, and his injury would crush me.

I bought him a small safe, and understand that he's using it, but how many more little kids may be at risk? Or is that, too, "Not my problem?"

I fear, sooner or later, it will be all of our problem.

JohnnyReb 03-21-2013 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jame (Post 20111557)
I understand that. But that doesn't squelch my concerns when I find out that my son in law gets home from work and throws his compact nine on the kitchen counter as he heads for the shower. I have a six year old grandson, and his injury would crush me.

I bought him a small safe, and understand that he's using it, but how many more little kids may be at risk? Or is that, too, "Not my problem?"

I fear, sooner or later, it will be all of our problem.

What do you think should be done?

jame 03-21-2013 22:59

Well, at least in my state, you can take an online class without ever even holding a gun. For ccw permitting, I'd like to see some face to face training for at lease a few hours. I got my permit the old way, and one guy was even questionable then.

F106 Fan 03-21-2013 23:01

In California, you have to have a Handgun Safety Certificate before you can buy any handgun. The certificate is good for 5 years.

Basically, it is nothing more than a test on safe gun handling and storage requirements. Among other things, it enumerates the gun owner's legal responsibilities.

OK, that covers the certificate. At the time you pick up a handgun, you have to demonstrate that you can load and unload the weapon including, in the case of a semiauto, proving that the chamber is empty.

In theory, every new gun owner is fully aware of the functioning of a handgun, knows the requirements for storage and is fully aware of their legal responsibilities plus has demonstrated at least a minimal capability in safe gun handling.

All new handguns come with a locking device. For rifles and shotguns, you have to certify that you have a compliant gun safe or storage cabinet.

It's a start...

Richard

skeeter7 03-21-2013 23:02

Those people are the reason why I rather be at the range alone. I don't have to worry about getting shot by anyone other than myself.

Southpaw69 03-21-2013 23:03

I worry a bit when new riders want to go get a new 100hp sport bike as well. All I can do is make sure my firearms are secure and safe and encourage new shooters I meet to get some training, join the NRA, at least do some reading on it.

Front Sight 03-21-2013 23:05

If there is a gun in the house everyone should be aware of how to treat it safely. Take time and show those young members of your family. Don't let them try and learn on their own when you are not at home.

JohnnyReb 03-21-2013 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jame (Post 20111588)
Well, at least in my state, you can take an online class without ever even holding a gun. For ccw permitting, I'd like to see some face to face training for at lease a few hours. I got my permit the old way, and one guy was even questionable then.

So, should the government be involved in mandating that gun owners recieve training?

I'm all for people getting the training they need. I think for CCW permits, an applicant should demonstrate safety, and their ability to shoot a reasonable course of fire if they want to carry a firearm in public.

But, I'm against the government being involved in mandatory training, to their standards to own a firearm.

Will Beararms 03-22-2013 08:10

You need to be worried every time you get on the road. You have a much greater chance of being killed in a wreck. I am glad more people are getting into shooting. We need to do our part to mentor as many new shooters as we can. Gun stores should also help when they can.

Again, we need more law-abiding, qualified people owning guns. They vote too.

HerrGlock 03-22-2013 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jame (Post 20111588)

The only way I would ever even possibly agree with you is for you to show this one thing:

Using actual data, show the difference in accidental shootings, negligent shootings and otherwise unwise shootings and show that the difference between states that mandate greater than 4 hours training are different than those that mandate less than 4 but greater than 0 and that those two are different than states that require no training.

Don't waste your time, there is no difference in bad shootings, at least not enough to go beyond the margin of error. So no, I cannot get behind your proposal because the only outcome of it is further restriction of rights.

kirbinster 03-22-2013 08:18

I'm a new gun owner, but I watched about 20 hours of youtube videos on guns and gun saftety before I bought one. Love Hickok45. That said, I sometimes get very nervous at the range with some of the folks that do some very stupid things. NJ is very strict as far as permit requirements - but there is ZERO training requirement - that is not good.

HerrGlock 03-22-2013 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyReb (Post 20111607)
So, should the government be involved in mandating that gun owners recieve training?

I'm all for people getting the training they need. I think for CCW permits, an applicant should demonstrate safety, and their ability to shoot a reasonable course of fire if they want to carry a firearm in public.

But, I'm against the government being involved in mandatory training, to their standards to own a firearm.

I'll say the same thing to your comment. No, there should not be any mandated training as there is no benefit and it is a restriction on a right.

There is plenty of actual data, 30+ years of no training necessary in various states, 20+ of from 2 to 8 hours in other states.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrGlock (Post 20112175)
The only way I would ever even possibly agree with you is for you to show this one thing:

Using actual data, show the difference in accidental shootings, negligent shootings and otherwise unwise shootings and show that the difference between states that mandate greater than 4 hours training are different than those that mandate less than 4 but greater than 0 and that those two are different than states that require no training.

Don't waste your time, there is no difference in bad shootings, at least not enough to go beyond the margin of error. So no, I cannot get behind your proposal because the only outcome of it is further restriction of rights.

HerrGlock 03-22-2013 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirbinster (Post 20112183)
NJ is very strict as far as permit requirements - but there is ZERO training requirement - that is not good.

Why not? Where has a training requirement ever made a difference? Please detail, I'll be glad to hear real data and not just phobic "but.... but... but... it HAS TO!"

GLWyandotte 03-22-2013 08:27

We were all new gun owners at one time.

Fear Night 03-22-2013 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLWyandotte (Post 20112209)
We were all new gun owners at one time.

This. Somehow we all made it through the new owner phase just fine.

The best thing we can do as experienced gun owners is to pass our knowledge and experience down. When I was a new owner, this person for me was my uncle.

Let's help all new owners know and understand the rules of gun safety every chance we get. If we see a rule broken, be bold and speak up.

TheJ 03-22-2013 08:41

Should people get training? Yes definitely!

Should there be a legal requirement of training to exercise a fundamental human right? Absolutely not.

The truth is gun ownership n the US is at an all time high while gun accident deaths are at an all time low.

Huaco Kid 03-22-2013 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 (Post 20111542)
Someone just shot themselves in the hand while upholstering and another while they were cleaning.

Everyone knows you're supposed to SPIT the nails and tacks you are hammering.

Someone must have told him, "You've got a tack driver there.", and being a noob, well, he....

TheJ 03-22-2013 08:48

Additionally, if we didn't have folks constantly trying to hide all things gun related from people and especially kids and instead focused on education it would lead to even higher safety. Instead too many think brainwashing folks into thinking gun = bad somehow makes people safer.

IMHO basic firearm safety should be taught in public high schools (not just the NRA Eddie Eagle program which is a great program but only for elementary aged kids and only in select areas)

Lior 03-22-2013 08:53

People, including dealers, are at liberty not to sell guns to people whom they don't trust, but it's an economic thing as well as a liberty one, so the Bill of Rights ends up applying to idiots too.

LEOson 03-22-2013 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeross (Post 20111554)
My Dad kept his Colt Woodsman in his sock drawer. Still does actually. He is nearly 87 y.o. and although the sights look fuzzy to his old eyes, he can still bounce a target along the ground with it shooting from the hip.
We all knew the gun was there in his drawer, but knew better than to touch it.
I guess things are different now days. I keep mine locked up unless I am using them.

Same here. Growing up my dad kept his gun in a closet. It wasn't easily accessible to me or my sister, but we both knew where it was. We also knew we where going to get the wrath of God if we messed with it. But dad took the curiosity out of guns by familiarizing us with them. If we wanted to see it he would get it out and show us, but first he cleared it, and then made us do it to. Best lesson if gun safety a kid could ask for as far as I'm concerned.

LEOson 03-22-2013 08:56

Edit: double post