Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   my girlfriend and her pit bull.... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477207)

superspud 03-15-2013 18:41

my girlfriend and her pit bull....

im sure there have been many "pit bulls are the best dogs ever" or "pit bulls are terrible!!!" threads on here, but i figured i'd start one more.

the lady and I have been dating for over a year now and are very serious. have discussed marriage, have talked about kids eventually and all that junk. everytime we start discussing serious things there is one issue we can not get beyond, her pit bull...

a little background:

I am 29, graduated college in 2006, worked in vegas for a few years and have lived back in the houston area since 2009. have a good steady job, own a house (paid for) as well as my car. I have a dachshund, no kids and have never been married, or even considered it.

she is 22, just got her degree in nursing and started her job at the hospital. great girl, was a college cheer leader, awesome personality and we get along great.

the only issue we face and constantly argue about is her dog. we dont live together (she has a house her parents bought that she lived in during college) but plan to start a life together. I have been very clear about the fact that i will not have her dog living in my house since day one, we've kinda just swept it under the carpet each time. well now that she's working and we're more serious, its becoming more of an issue. I have very firm feelings about pit bulls, im sure there's great examples of how sweet they are, but i want nothing to do with them. I wont have one living in my house, i won't have it in my back yard and i certainly wouldnt raise kids around one, period.

she, refuses to get rid of it. she has now stated that she will NOT get rid of it...

what to do......? am i in the wrong here and just too stubborn to acknowledge it?

cliffs: girlfriend for some reason has a pit bull, i will not have anything to do with it, she wont get rid of it... am i an ******* or what?

dosei 03-15-2013 18:44

Yes, you're an *******. Break up.

uz2bUSMC 03-15-2013 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosei (Post 20092618)
Yes, you're an *******. Break up.

^^^^^

SIG-SOG 03-15-2013 18:47

My wife and I would not have married if she wanted me to get rid of my dog. She will resent you forever if she were to get rid of it. My $.02.

PaLEOjd 03-15-2013 18:48

Pitbulls are nice dogs UNTIL they do what they are known to do, attack. Not worth risking having a pitbull arouns if you plan on having children.............Get rid of her and find another girlfriend who is serious about tha safety of children.

Clusterfrack 03-15-2013 18:48

Is the dog well trained and socialized?

ithaca_deerslayer 03-15-2013 18:49

You are wrong, she is right.

She deserves better, so break up with her now so she can move on and find a better guy.

I suspect pitbull is just the tip of the iceberg. What if she felt that way about guns? You'd think she was unreasonable.

ezthumper 03-15-2013 18:50

I am going to guess your out and out reluctance to even have the dog around is from either from what you have heard or experienced.

Not sure which
  • The first is curable and you are being stubborn and not living up to your signature.
  • The second...might be a bit tough, and no you are not being stubborn, just fear.

Rotn1 03-15-2013 18:50

Thanks for starting yet another Pit Bull thread. GNG doesn't have enough of these.
Assuming you are serious, here is simple advice you should expect from any dog owner/ lover..........................

LOVE ME! LOVE MY DOG

If you don't follow this simple rule expect to be kicked to the curb........ And rightfully so.

1-2man 03-15-2013 18:51

How old is the pitbull? They don't live forever. :whistling:

frank4570 03-15-2013 18:51

Break up with her so that she can find a better guy.

tbone1970 03-15-2013 18:54

how can you expect her to change her mind if you wont reconsider your own opinion?

you already know what to do, or else you wouldnt have posted here.

DWARREN123 03-15-2013 18:58

What are you willing to give up? Goes both ways and neither will like it!
Get over it or go your separate ways.

CaptCave 03-15-2013 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaLEOjd (Post 20092632)
Guns are nice UNTIL they do what they are known to do, attack. Not worth risking having a guns arouns if you plan on having children.............Get rid of her and find another girlfriend who is serious about tha safety of children.

Fixed it for you.:upeyes:

czsmithGT 03-15-2013 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by superspud (Post 20092612)

cliffs: girlfriend for some reason has a pit bull, i will not have anything to do with it, she wont get rid of it... am i an ******* or what?

If the dog is more important to her than you are, it is good you learned this before marriage. There are plenty of great girls out there who would understand your strong feelings on this matter and let the dog go to a good home somewhere else. No matter what, people are more important than animals, and I love dogs.

superspud 03-15-2013 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIG-SOG (Post 20092631)
My wife and I would not have married if she wanted me to get rid of my dog. She will resent you forever if she were to get rid of it. My $.02.

if it were literally any other dog breed in the world (almost) it wouldnt even be an issue...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clusterfrack (Post 20092636)
Is the dog well trained and socialized?

its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything. has attacked her parents dogs when she brought it home and is EXTREMELY protective of her (the girlfriend)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezthumper (Post 20092639)
I am going to guess your out and out reluctance to even have the dog around is from either from what you have heard or experienced.

Not sure which
  • The first is curable and you are being stubborn and not living up to your signature.
  • The second...might be a bit tough, and no you are not being stubborn, just fear.

judging from personal experience, not "internet" experience. my brother had one as have several friends. in each scenario "something" has gone wrong to where they attacked someone or something and of course it was written off as not the dogs fault...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWARREN123 (Post 20092663)
What are you willing to give up? Goes both ways and neither will like it!
Get over it or go your separate ways.

if the situation were reversed, i'd get rid of my dog in a heart beat. a dog over the girl i want to marry? easy decision.

ray9898 03-15-2013 19:07

If my daughter ended up with someone so controlling I would suggest she move on because there is a good chance that behavior will escalate. It is a only a dog after all.

Resqu2 03-15-2013 19:07

There are good and bad dogs in all breads, my only suggestion as a dog person is to get to know that particular dog. You may love it and you may not then you can figure out what to do at that point. Good luck, tough problem.

superspud 03-15-2013 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray9898 (Post 20092692)
If my daughter ended up with someone so controlling I would suggest she move on because there is a good chance that behavior will escalate. It is a only a dog after all.

please tell me you're joking....

Cclass 03-15-2013 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer (Post 20092638)
You are wrong, she is right.

She deserves better, so break up with now so she can move on and find a better guy.

I suspect pitbull is just the tip of the iceberg. What if she felt that way about guns? You'd think she was unreasonable.

^ This.

Bruce M 03-15-2013 19:10

I would at least take a big step back. I would be afraid if we cannot come to terms over a dog there may well later be even bigger issues that would draw us apart. I have never been married; I live my married life vicariously through my married friends and acquaintances.

Captain Steinbrenner 03-15-2013 19:11

How the dog gets along with your dog?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

true believer 03-15-2013 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by superspud (Post 20092684)
if it were literally any other dog breed in the world (almost) it wouldnt even be an issue...

it is!!

if the situation were reversed, i'd get rid of my dog in a heart beat. a dog over the girl i want to marry? easy decision.

get rid of your dog? if she ask you would you?

Bruce M 03-15-2013 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by superspud (Post 20092684)

its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything...

I am far from an expert on dogs, but to me that seems like a clue.

packinaglock 03-15-2013 19:17

There are good and bad dogs of all breeds, my pit is the most sweetest big baby I've ever seen. I wouldn't put much faith in watching the house while I'm gone. He is good at laying on the couch watching chick shows with the wife so I don't have to. For taking that bullet he is my best bud.