Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Assisted living facility denied CPR to woman (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474930)

Gun Shark 03-02-2013 18:43

Assisted living facility denied CPR to woman

Because of policy. This is truly astounding. Listen to the 911 recording in it's entirety if you get a chance.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...n-dying-woman/

Here is a transcript of part of it.

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story...FDtxoK04Q.cspx

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

NeverMore1701 03-02-2013 18:47

My blood pressure was just fine, thanks. I'd rather someone flag me down, off duty, to help in that sort of situation than read about crap like this. I've done CPR on old folks, some made it, more didn't. But Jesus, not even trying?

Then again the fact that it happened in an assisted living type place doesn't surprise me a bit.

Matthew Courtney 03-02-2013 19:05

They assist with what exactly, if not actually living?

Matthew Courtney 03-02-2013 19:12

I read the article. The woman was not in the more costly assisted living facility. She was in the adjacent independent living facility. The people who pay for medical services get medical services. The people who do not pay for medical services do not get medical services. If people get services without paying, no one will pay because there will be no reason to. In a competitive environment, companies giving services away for free will go under.

NeverMore1701 03-02-2013 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney (Post 20049933)

Soaking up a paycheck while doing as little as possible, usually. The folks who actually care in those places are absolute angels, but I sure haven't had the pleasure of meeting many of them. The majority seem to consist of asswipes who couldn't get (or were fired from) a healthcare job that required a modicum of compassion, professionalism, and competence.

NeverMore1701 03-02-2013 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney (Post 20049960)
I read the article. The woman was not in the more costly assisted living facility. She was in the adjacent independent living facility. The people who pay for medical services get medical services. The people who do not pay for medical services do not get medical services. If people get services without paying, no one will pay because there will be no reason to. In a competitive environment, companies giving services away for free will go under.

There were (supposedly) trained professionals right there who couldn't or wouldn't lift a finger to help someone who was having an acute medical emergency for the 7 minutes it took for fire to arrive. That's bull****.

rick458 03-02-2013 19:18

Sure sounds like a duty to act failure, from here.

nursetim 03-02-2013 19:29

Did the Pt. have a "do not resuscitate" order? If not, someone's family is going to get paid. The "nurse" needs to loose her license if there was no DNR.

One hospital I worked at required we call 911 if someone went down for any reason. Risk managers and lawyers are like mass murderers in that trying to figure them out would likely drive you insane.

NeverMore1701 03-02-2013 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by nursetim (Post 20050016)
Did the Pt. have a "do not resuscitate" order? If not, someone's family is going to get paid. The "nurse" needs to loose her license if there was no DNR.

One hospital I worked at required we call 911 if someone went down for any reason. Risk managers and lawyers are like mass murderers in that trying to figure them out would likely drive you insane.

Quote:

The 87-year-old woman died. Reports identify her at Lorraine Bayless and confirm she did not have a do-not-resuscitate order. Her daughter told 17News she is satisfied with Glenwood's handling of the situation.
I wonder how much her daughter had coming in the will.

MrsKitty 03-02-2013 19:34

According to the last sentence in the article, the lady's daughter is totally OK with it.

"We also spoke to Bayless' daughter. She said she is a nurse and she remains satisfied with the care her mother received at Glenwood Gardens."

WTF?! :faint:

NeverMore1701 03-02-2013 19:35

The daughter should lose her license too.

deadmanglocking 03-02-2013 19:39

What a piece of s**t.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

TJ Superfly 03-02-2013 19:42

The lawyers will be all over this one. Nonfeasance for sure.

tsmo1066 03-02-2013 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 (Post 20050031)
I wonder how much her daughter had coming in the will.

I imagine she will change her tune once an attorney makes her aware of the windfall that she potentially has coming in a lawsuit.

NeverMore1701 03-02-2013 19:51

I wouldn't mind changing a few involved tunes with a 3' sand filled piece of garden hose.

Halojumper 03-02-2013 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsmo1066 (Post 20050083)
I imagine she will change her tune once an attorney makes her aware of the windfall that she potentially has coming in a lawsuit.

I suspect it's that attitude right there that led to this in the first place. I suspect the company made the choice to require their staff to do nothing rather than risk a lawsuit if they did try and something went wrong. Of course, if the CPR doesn't work, even if done correctly, the person dies and now the family want a scapegoat. I can't say that I blame them.

Halojumper 03-02-2013 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney (Post 20049933)

I would guess they assist with day to day living tasks. It's not a hospital.

NeverMore1701 03-02-2013 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halojumper (Post 20050124)
I would guess they assist with day to day living tasks. It's not a hospital.

They are, however, medical professionals who denied basic lifesaving care to someone.

janice6 03-02-2013 20:07

Too bad that at that instance, empathy had no meaning to the nurse anymore.

Money not only buys you freedom, it buys you life. No money, no more life. Simple.

Sounds like a guide for an insurance system.

faceplant 03-02-2013 20:27

She was 87 years old. 87! There are no good outcomes for people that age that go into cardiac arrest. It is time to go. Her daughter was ok with it and you should be also.

nursetim 03-02-2013 20:28

Hey y'all look up DNR. If the daughter reaction is any indication, a DNR may well have been in place.

NeverMore1701 03-02-2013 20:33

That would have been my thought too, if the article hadn't specifically stated there wasn't a DNR. Of course, they could be wrong.

silentpoet 03-02-2013 20:36

There is a post above indicating one was not in place. And when I worked at an assisted living place I don't give a **** what policy was I would do what I could for them if they didn't have a dnr. And we knew who did and didn't have one.

concretefuzzynuts 03-02-2013 20:36

God, Please give my son the wisdom to not let others care for me in my old age. Over and out.

NIB 03-02-2013 20:40

Unless there was a do not resuscitate order this place is screwed. I work for a nursing center and I find it hard to believe there is a facility that has this kind of a policy. What do they have a nursing staff for then, to play bones all day! Even if the family is OK with it, the state will not be happy.