Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   ammo desperation... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474489)

kmrcstintn 02-28-2013 12:18

ammo desperation...
 
you know there is a major shortage when I get ecstatic to see steel cased Tula Ammo in 9mm and buy it without hesitation... :shocked:

not saying it's bad but far from the brass cased American made stuff I prefer for my Beretta 92FS

SCmasterblaster 02-28-2013 12:24

I Thank God
 
that I started reloading in 1978. :cool:

countrygun 02-28-2013 12:36

The wife and I have bought exactly 4 boxes of ammo since October. 2 boxes of Blazer Al cased 9mm Makarov and 2 of the same in 10mm. just so we could shoot a bit without having to worry about collecting the "brass" in the wet grass.

Between stocking up for a long time and reloading we are comfortable. I can't understand anyone not prepared for shortages and political fluctuations.

kmrcstintn 02-28-2013 13:05

I have stashed a fair amount, but don't want to dive into it if we have a similar social breakdown to nations in the E.U.; I don't reload due to financial constraints and the lack of skills/knowledge to do it correctly :dunno:

SCmasterblaster 02-28-2013 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn (Post 20041645)
I have stashed a fair amount, but don't want to dive into it if we have a similar social breakdown to nations in the E.U.; I don't reload due to financial constraints and the lack of skills/knowledge to do it correctly :dunno:

Reloading is easy to learn. :cool:

unit1069 02-28-2013 14:27

I have kept a sufficient supply of premium JHP self-defense rounds for the two handgun calibers I own as well as for the one rifle and one shotgun. I also keep a supply of range ammo but in recent months I've decided to hold these in reserve until more ammo becomes available. The premium-to-range ratio is approximately 2.5:1

LASTRESORT20 02-28-2013 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn (Post 20041645)
I have stashed a fair amount, but don't want to dive into it if we have a similar social breakdown to nations in the E.U.; I don't reload due to financial constraints and the lack of skills/knowledge to do it correctly :dunno:

Not to hard to learn: Here is some simple Basics...Look at it.


http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/pa...ing+Ammunition

SCmasterblaster 02-28-2013 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit1069 (Post 20041876)
I have kept a sufficient supply of premium JHP self-defense rounds for the two handgun calibers I own as well as for the one rifle and one shotgun. I also keep a supply of range ammo but in recent months I've decided to hold these in reserve until more ammo becomes available. The premium-to-range ratio is approximately 2.5:1

So have I. For my G17, I have five 17-shot magazines loaded with WW/Fed 115gr JHP +P+ rounds.

purrrfect 10 02-28-2013 14:44

Best thing is i have more than I will ever need BUT, that does not say more than I am use to shooting...That said I love to shoot and if that is going to happen I need more ammo ....the rest is for what ever:dunno:

SCmasterblaster 02-28-2013 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by purrrfect 10 (Post 20041926)
Best thing is i have more than I will ever need BUT, that does not say more than I am use to shooting...That said I love to shoot and if that is going to happen I need more ammo ....the rest is for what ever:dunno:

It is easy to not go shooting here in Winter VT - the range is covered with snow!

9mm +p+ 02-28-2013 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster (Post 20041912)
So have I. For my G17, I have five 17-shot magazines loaded with WW/Fed 115gr JHP +P+ rounds.

And that's "enough" ?:shocked::shocked:

SCmasterblaster 02-28-2013 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ (Post 20042142)
And that's "enough" ?:shocked::shocked:

Lord, I hope so. 80 rounds of 9mm 115gr +P+ rounds ought to make an impression.

jdavionic 02-28-2013 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster (Post 20041818)
Reloading is easy to learn. :cool:

The trick is finding components.

EOS 02-28-2013 18:32

I was in Charleston, WV on buisiness and scored 6 boxes of zinc coated steel cased 9mm, it's imported stuff(forgot the name), and 4 100rd boxes of American Eagle .40. They would only let me have 10 boxes. I then went to the Gander Mountain next door and picked up a 450 round bulk box of .45 ACP, I left happy.

Tiro Fijo 02-28-2013 19:57

I don't see this changing in the immediate future so if this hasn't convinced even the most slothful of reloading naysayers then I don't know what will.

SCmasterblaster 03-01-2013 17:11

I have 580 rounds of 9x19 ammo left. I'm saving it 'til Summer.

HKLovingIT 03-01-2013 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo (Post 20043175)
I don't see this changing in the immediate future so if this hasn't convinced even the most slothful of reloading naysayers then I don't know what will.

I agree. It's convinced me. Starting behind the eight ball but I still see a good amount of components on the shelf here and I have tubs and tubs of brass. Should be fun to get into. Better late than never I guess. :dunno:

SCmasterblaster 03-03-2013 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKLovingIT (Post 20046356)
I agree. It's convinced me. Starting behind the eight ball but I still see a good amount of components on the shelf here and I have tubs and tubs of brass. Should be fun to get into. Better late than never I guess. :dunno:

Tubs and tubs of brass - all from your shooting? That's a lot of shooting! :cool:

MedicOni 03-03-2013 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdavionic (Post 20042754)
The trick is finding components.

And having the space and time to do it

SCmasterblaster 03-03-2013 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster (Post 20052428)
Tubs and tubs of brass - all from your shooting? That's a lot of shooting! :cool:

You must have excellent back muscles after picking up all of this brass.

Glock19Fan 03-06-2013 00:47

I went with my buddy today to meet someone to buy an SKS. They decided to meet at Gander Mountain, and after the purchase we decided to walk in and look around, although I was almost certain there wouldnt be any ammo.

To my surprise, they were fully stocked up on EVERYTHING excluding 9mm FMJ. But they had plenty of .45ACP ammo so I bought a 250 round box of UMC for $115 out the door. :cool:

Im a little short on .45 ammo, but I figured I would leave some for the next guy. :wavey:

Tiro Fijo 03-06-2013 01:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock19Fan (Post 20061132)
...I bought a 250 round box of UMC for $115 out the door. :cool:...


That comes out to $23 per 50 rds. for that crap. Did you get kissed? :whistling:

Glock19Fan 03-06-2013 01:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo (Post 20061152)
That comes out to $23 per 50 rds. for that crap. Did you get kissed? :whistling:

Im not sure what you mean, but this was the price of .45ACP ammo before all the panic buying. If you were suggesting UMC is bad ammo, I disagree based on my experience.

The only problem I ever had with UMC was with some 9mm ammo from the late 80s or 90s. It was a 147 grain exposed lead tip flat point. Almost like a filled in hollow point. The only gun we tried to fire it from was a recent Hi Point 9mm, and almost every round nose dived into the feed ramp.

But I have used UMC in almost all of my common calibers, and while it certainly isnt my prefered ammo, it beats the hell out of steel cased ammo, and in my area it is actually CHEAPER than steel case ammo.

Will Beararms 03-06-2013 12:40

[Between stocking up for a long time and reloading we are comfortable. I can't understand anyone not prepared for shortages and political fluctuations.[/QUOTE]

I have learned my lesson.

oneuglygun 03-06-2013 12:54

My ammo cabinets are so full they are pulling down about 1/8 inch from the ceiling. My tumbled brass buckets are full, my untumbled brass buckets are full,. my tumbler is full, four presses sitting idle and I still have plenty of bullets, powder, and primers ! I wasn't prepared for all this shortage crap, I'm just lucky......and lazy, else all this ammo would be loaded and shot !!!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.