Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Do you prefer just one gun (caliber) or more? Why? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474360)

vandros 02-27-2013 17:52

Do you prefer just one gun (caliber) or more? Why?

It seems (in theory) that getting used to just one gun (or caliber) is prudent, allowing one to achieve proficiency and remain proficient as time goes on. Is this true, or is it better to get used to a variety of platforms and calibers for developing/maintaining high skill level of operating one's weapon(s)?

I own g29 in 10mm and use it for sd, hd, ccw, hiking - it seems like a very versatile tool. If I had another pistol, it seems I would have to at the very least double my training time, and more importantly have an increased possibility of messing up in critical moment (especially if one gun has manual safety and another doesn't, one is double-action and another single action, handle angles/shapes are different, gun weights are different, felt/actual recoil is different, magazine shapes are different, etc.)

A while ago I used to play guitar a lot... (Bear with me :)) I had an electric and an acoustic (they differed in terms of breadth of the neck and in thickness/materials of the strings). Switching from one to another was a real byotch, no matter how long I've practiced with each individually! I wonder if the same might happen with firearms.

Anyway, let me know what you all think.

ede 02-27-2013 17:58

most people will tell you it's better, but it's not made much differance to me. I do use one caliber but only within a division or application so in the end I shoot everything in a varity of platforms and have never got confused about operation or the controls.

tedwhite 02-27-2013 19:31

I just do it because it's simpler. G19, G26, Beretta Nano. All 9mm.

GRT45 02-27-2013 19:35

My philosophy is one pistol, but one that is versatile with multiple calibers to suit the job. Gaining proficiency with the same trigger, grip, mags, safeties and sight system is my preference in training. It's also a great advantage if the one pistol is mechanically simple and easy to maintain. I'm not a pistol collector, so I focus on the one Glock as a tool to be mastered and adapted. If there is some enjoyment in the process then that's a bonus.

Scrappy 02-27-2013 19:38

In todays times with ammo shortage if you have just one caliber your pretty much screwed! With 9 mm being the worst to find!
With that said I like different calibers

Bruce M 02-27-2013 19:52

SOmetimes I think how well one shoots is much more a product of what kind of training they have and how much they shoot as opposed to what they shoot.

Will Beararms 02-27-2013 20:18

.40, .45, .38 Special in that order

ScottieG59 02-27-2013 20:34

I do not focus on a single caliber. However, when reloading, I tend to focus on some calibers more. I like the versatility of the 44 magnum.

For my self defence carry guns, I like 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 10mm. Note than anything, I carry 9mm. The 10mm has a lot of flexibility. If premium ammo is not available, I will feel best served by the 45 ACP.

I have handguns in a few calibers that I bought or inherited over the years and it helps now that some calibers are tougher to find.

For my ammo stockpiles, I get what is available. I do not let inventory run low.

F106 Fan 02-27-2013 21:22

At the moment, .45 ACP is about all I load. And I load a LOT of it! So, I have a Dillon 1050 set up to crank out better than 1000 rounds per hour.

I have a few thousand 9mm loaded for my SIL's XD9 but that came off of a Dillon 650 and he doesn't shoot much so I won't be making any 9mm in the near future.

I am about to start loading .40 S&W for my wife's Sigs. That will also be done on the 650. After testing a few loads, I plan to load about 5000 rounds.

As soon as I empty out a couple of ammo cans, I also need to reload about 10,000 .45 ACP.

So, yes, I prefer just one caliber but I do have to make an exception.

Richard

James Dean 02-27-2013 21:27

I never wanted more than two. Its good to have a few. I can always find something to shoot. Now that 9mm is hard to find I can find .357sig, and some .40. its good idea to have multiple calibers to choose from. Chances are you can always find something to shoot

roadkill46 02-27-2013 21:36

i stick to NATO, 5.56, .308, .45, 9mm, 7.62x39, .22, the actual only wildcat i have is .40 and ammo is available out the butt for it so no issues. i have at least 1000 rounds for each major caliber, and well over 5000 in .22.
I figure if there is a civil war i'll be good to go staying put instead of bugging out.

ronin.45 02-27-2013 22:05

I've never had any problem switching between platforms.

KPglock 02-27-2013 22:22

That's one of the great things about certain revolvers. e.g.; 38spl/.357 magnum. Built in versatility.

Brucev 02-27-2013 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandros (Post 20038835)
It seems (in theory) that getting used to just one gun (or caliber) is prudent, allowing one to achieve proficiency and remain proficient as time goes on. Is this true, or is it better to get used to a variety of platforms and calibers for developing/maintaining high skill level of operating one's weapon(s)?

I own g29 in 10mm and use it for sd, hd, ccw, hiking - it seems like a very versatile tool. If I had another pistol, it seems I would have to at the very least double my training time, and more importantly have an increased possibility of messing up in critical moment (especially if one gun has manual safety and another doesn't, one is double-action and another single action, handle angles/shapes are different, gun weights are different, felt/actual recoil is different, magazine shapes are different, etc.)

A while ago I used to play guitar a lot... (Bear with me :)) I had an electric and an acoustic (they differed in terms of breadth of the neck and in thickness/materials of the strings). Switching from one to another was a real byotch, no matter how long I've practiced with each individually! I wonder if the same might happen with firearms.

Anyway, let me know what you all think.

I've been shooting various rifles and pistols for 30 years. I've not ever found it to be a problem to simply pick up any common firearm and use it. All the hype not withstanding, it's just not that difficult. There are folks who obsess over equipment the same as with golf clubs, tennis rackets, etc. But when it comes to shooting, it's just not that hard. Any of a number of common handguns will give very excellent results in practice or SD/HD. It ain't rocket science. Cool.

PhotoFeller 02-27-2013 22:32

I decided some years ago that 9mm would be my primary caliber. This was after I acquired a number of revolvers in .357 and before I bought a .380, a Glock 22 .40 cal., a S&W .44mag and several .45 cal. 1911s.

My 9mm pistols are still 'primary'. It's the caliber I shoot best. My other caliber handguns would be sold, if necessary, to fund ongoing 9mm competence, except the Glock 22; I have a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel and G17 mags so the G22 will operate on either caliber. If 9mm ammo gets short, maybe .40 will be available, or ice versa.

Your 10mm offers maximum caliber flexibility with conversion barrels, so your choice is great. Acquiring a few conversion barrels and mags would be money well spent for future uncertainty, I think.

CitizenOfDreams 02-27-2013 22:34

22LR for plinking, 9mm for carry, 380ACP for mouse guns. That covers all my needs, I don't feel like complicating my life by adding more calibers.

mingaa 02-27-2013 22:35

22LR, 9, 40, 223/5.56, 7.62x39, 12G - I plan on adding 45ACP this year. I reload 9, 40 & 223 + 45 when I go there.

Popular calibers. If supplies go down for one or more I'm not dead in the water.

SHTF I may have good scavenge luck and solid trading power.

mrvco 02-27-2013 22:56

I tried to limit my calibers, but that didn't go well. I shoot 9MM and .40S&W primarily, but also have 32ACP, 45ACP and .38 Special / .357 Mag.

Tango 1Zero 02-27-2013 23:04

Mostly 9mm but I have 357/38 for plinking. I reload both.

RBid 02-28-2013 00:43

Shoot as many as you want, as long as you develop and maintain fluency with one.