Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Video of my 2nd time doing stand up comedy (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473309)

Hussell_Crowe 02-22-2013 03:06

Video of my 2nd time doing stand up comedy

When I'm not busy being a Liberal, Obama loving scumbag, I enjoy doing stand up. This a video of my 2nd time EVER perfoming. The material does have some foul language and some crude humor, please don't watch if you're easily offended.

Im posting this to get feedback, all of the jokes I did were brand new, and written in a couple of days prior to the show.

10 minutes is also an eternity on stage, I'm shocked I didn't need to reference my notes.

Thank you in advance for watching. www.youtube.com/chrisbranhamcomedy

Gunhaver 02-22-2013 03:40

Damn, you better brace yourself. Here it comes...

But don't give up.

skeeter7 02-22-2013 03:41

Since you're looking for feedback...

I completely understand you were nervous and its a frightening experience. I assume it will get easier with practice as with anything else. You held yourself up there pretty well even though there was limited feedback from the audience at times. I thought maybe the timing was off a little on some of the material. Maybe tell some of the jokes a little faster, or clean them up a little, some of them seemed like they went on a little too long. Other than that, for your second go round, I think you did okay. Keep working on the writing and rehearsing. Good luck! :thumbsup:

JMS 02-22-2013 04:47

I couldn't get past 3 minutes. Your jokes aren't funny and your delivery sucks. Your 'jokes' make you look creepy and your audience feel awkward, that's why the only laughs you got were in response to the awkwardness. 'I was working a summer job as the county morgue and decided to bone this dead woman, the pathologist walks in on us and I was like, whats up doc.'

Work on your jokes first, spend time writing them and then worry about delivery.

HKLovingIT 02-22-2013 05:47

Yup, it's tough to stand up in front of a crowd that's expecting you to entertain them for ten minutes.

My feedback for you is to write jokes that connect with the audience's personal experiences more. Those are going to get the best reaction because there is something in the joke that they can relate to.

For the most part the material you had was outside the experiences of most audience members I think. That makes the material sound too contrived and doesn't leave much for them to connect with. Instead of being able to imagine themselves in the situations you were describing, it got a little awkward a couple of times.

You got a better reaction to the joke about the nun and the one about your mom smoking pot and sending you outside. The story line about your mom's gay husband went on too long. You had three main jokes in there and they were a little flat.

It's good that you filmed yourself. You can review what's working and what you need to tweak. :thumbsup:

Psychman 02-22-2013 06:05

"When I'm not busy being a Liberal, Obama loving scumbag, I enjoy doing stand up".

I actually found this to be your best joke.

Hussell_Crowe 02-22-2013 06:28

I appreciate the feedback so far. Like I mentioned before, this was only my 2nd performance, frankly if I had nailed it, I would be worried that it was a fluke. I didn't want to do 10 minutes, but I basically had to, because my name was on the flyer for the show. And the entire point of my set was awkward moments, but at the same time make them funny. I agree, the gay husband bit could have been shortened a bit, it's all part of the process, finding out what worked and what didn't.

As far as finding stories people relate to, I sometimes struggle with that, because I'm 25 no kids, never been married, I just don't have a ton of interesting stories.

And yes, 10 minutes is extremely long-it was about 3 pages of material, that I had to memorize, as far as my delivery, it'll hopefully improve with more stage time.

Knighj1 02-22-2013 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychman (Post 20018152)
"When I'm not busy being a Liberal, Obama loving scumbag, I enjoy doing stand up".

I actually found this to be your best joke.

:supergrin:

HKLovingIT 02-22-2013 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hussell_Crowe (Post 20018207)
I appreciate the feedback so far. Like I mentioned before, this was only my 2nd performance, frankly if I had nailed it, I would be worried that it was a fluke. I didn't want to do 10 minutes, but I basically had to, because my name was on the flyer for the show. And the entire point of my set was awkward moments, but at the same time make them funny. I agree, the gay husband bit could have been shortened a bit, it's all part of the process, finding out what worked and what didn't.

As far as finding stories people relate to, I sometimes struggle with that, because I'm 25 no kids, never been married, I just don't have a ton of interesting stories.

And yes, 10 minutes is extremely long-it was about 3 pages of material, that I had to memorize, as far as my delivery, it'll hopefully improve with more stage time.

Right there is a source for some material. Dating, chicks, the silliness that goes on.

JMS 02-22-2013 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKLovingIT (Post 20018216)
Right there is a source for some material. Dating, chicks, the silliness that goes on.

Exactly. "I went on a blind date. She insisted on driving.......we made it 2 miles before she crashed my car." :supergrin:

Hussell_Crowe 02-22-2013 18:00

Any other feedback gentleman?

Paul53 02-22-2013 18:30

Doing standup for the second time and posting it on GT? I admire your brass. Thanks for sharing.

NorthCarolinaLiberty 02-22-2013 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul53 (Post 20020475)
Doing standup for the second time and posting it on GT? I admire your brass. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I agree. Stand-up is not my thing at all, but I'll loudly applaud anybody who really puts himself out there and tries anything.

I did this sort of thing with public speaking because I used to be terrified of it. Now I love it.

Keep practicing and filming to improve your confidence. I'd scrap the F word. It contributes nothing.

If you're going to walk on stage, then move left-right instead of forward-backward. You probably figured out that one though.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/s...humbs%20up.gif

ChuteTheMall 02-22-2013 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hussell_Crowe (Post 20020365)
Any other feedback gentleman?

Yeah, now we see why you lost your baby-sitting job and failed on your dates.
Your hair shouldn't fall out before your voice changes.

PBCounty 02-22-2013 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall (Post 20020661)
Yeah, now we see why you lost your baby-sitting job and failed on your dates.
Your hair shouldn't fall out before your voice changes.

Ouch...rimshot.

Ironbar 02-22-2013 19:32

I stopped watching after 0:45.

costanza187 02-22-2013 19:40

I'm a big fan of stand-up comedy. I laughed a few times during the act.

I think the best advice was talk about dating failures, and people on internet forums etc...

GLWyandotte 02-22-2013 19:45

25, no kids, never been married....

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKLovingIT (Post 20018216)

Hell, you should have hours of material about wanking,....err, romancing yourself.

Hussell_Crowe 02-22-2013 20:13

Well Chute, I don't really expect any positive feedback from you, so thats par for the course. And I definitely appreciate the views and feedback. And yes, it sucks being bald, but I'm sure you're a male model.....anyway, I do have material on dates, relationships, and the internet-the hard part is figuring out what material to actually use on stage.

And if you stopped watching 45 seconds in, how exactly can you gauge if my set was funny? meh, doesn't matter, I don't worry about people like that. I look at this way, at least I'm making an attempt, trying to entertain people obviously since I'm so new, the majority of what I say won't be funny, but no comedian first starting out is as good as they were 5 years later....

And while I do have ************ jokes, I don't think you want that visual....trust me you don't.

skeeter7 02-22-2013 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMS (Post 20018013)
I couldn't get past 3 minutes. Your jokes aren't funny and your delivery sucks. Your 'jokes' make you look creepy and your audience feel awkward, that's why the only laughs you got were in response to the awkwardness. 'I was working a summer job as the county morgue and decided to bone this dead woman, the pathologist walks in on us and I was like, whats up doc.'

Work on your jokes first, spend time writing them and then worry about delivery.

And here I was trying to let the poor guy down easily and then I come back to read your post right after mine it is was more in line in what I thought as well but just didn't have the heart to tell him until someone else did. So, yea, "Your jokes aren't funny and your delivery sucks" is just about right. :rofl:

saddlebum 02-22-2013 20:28

There's always barber college

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

fork14 02-22-2013 20:36

You're not funny, most people aren't. I give you credit for posting your performance!

People laugh at things they have experienced or can see the irony in. This is the problem (hopefully) with your material. You don't connect with your audience in that way. Therein lies your problem. You seem to have to search out extremes to try to garner laughs. I'd like to help you further but the world doesn't need another liberal comedian.

ChuteTheMall 02-22-2013 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hussell_Crowe (Post 20020848)

And while I do have ************ jokes, I don't think you want that visual....trust me you don't.

Sadly, Chris, that's all you'll ever have as long as you keep failing at dating lesbians.
:nutcheck:

427 02-22-2013 20:38

I made it through half and it was painful to watch.

ysr_racer 02-22-2013 20:42

Take my wife, please :)