Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   More proof people are getting dumber... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473170)

vart 02-21-2013 10:49

More proof people are getting dumber...

Or maybe it's just the people in my current location...

Driving to work this morning, there is a heavy fog with about 300' of visibility for about 15 miles of my trip.

It's a 4-lane highway with a 65mph speed limit.

Back where I grew up in Idaho, whenever there was the occasional winter/spring fog in the morning, people turned on their headlights.

Duh; that's common sense. Occasionally you would see a single car go by without headlights on and you would flash the person to turn their lights on.

This morning, fully half or more of the cars didn't have any lights on...:shocked:

Really?! Now, does that mean that people are dumber than they were 15 years ago when I drove in fog in Idaho, or are people in Arizona dumber than people in Idaho?:dunno:

Glock20 10mm 02-21-2013 10:52

It's the false sense of security new cars provide. And yes, people are generally most stupid now.

FullClip 02-21-2013 10:53

Yep....nothing like a gray car zipping down the road in the fog, or a white car in a snow storm with no lights. :wow:

We call them "stealth fighters" back home, and yes....I think they are idiots.
:upeyes:

Don't worry though, Arizona doesn't have a monopoly on them.

Shiloh228 02-21-2013 10:58

It's what I call the "OCOR" syndrome..."only car on the road" Most dumb***** drivers today don't have any consideration -- or perception -- of any other cars/drivers around them. Not to mention talking/texting distractions.

As regards headlights...I have seen (barely...) drivers after sunset without lights.

I'm convinced the thought process is: "I can see just fine...why do I need lights?" No thought about visibility to others (see above "OCOR Syndrome")

Just further evidence of widespread DWI...Driving While Idiot...

vart 02-21-2013 11:03

The other thing I see a lot is people driving with just the DRLs on at night. No taillights...

I lost a close friend years ago to some idiot with no taillights driving 35 in a 65. My friend came up on them and had to swerve at the last second to avoid and ended up losing control and rolling the vehicle several times... The idiot driver just kept on going and was never found.

Kyle M. 02-21-2013 11:05

I see it alot too, though I've always been taught different. Of course my lights turn themselves on most of the times that I need them, and before you start knocking these new cars with there fancy automatic lights mine just so happens to be 25 years old. Heck mine are so sensitive they come on when it's just cloudy.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

slhfarm 02-21-2013 11:06

Not just your location. I got a dose of that the other day. Lots of grey and silver cars with no headlights on. I wonder if more people are relying on automatic headlights and don't think to turn them on manually?

Shiloh228 02-21-2013 11:15

I have a friend who has driven Vettes for most of his life...and he drives with headlights on all the time. (not sure why I mentioned the Vettes...just think it's a cool obsession for an engineer/lawyer...).

He also has installed a switch that allows him to turn on his brake lights independent of the brake pedal...a "back off" signal to tail-gaters.

He has also worked on an igniter/oil spray system for his exhaust... He really hates tail-gaters!

Sorry for the OT drift...couldn't stop myself...:embarassed:

CarryTexas 02-21-2013 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiloh228 (Post 20014980)
I'm convinced the thought process is: "I can see just fine...why do I need lights?" No thought about visibility to others (see above "OCOR Syndrome")

Just further evidence of widespread DWI...Driving While Idiot...

That is exactly what i have always thought about these types of drivers!

FullClip 02-21-2013 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiloh228 (Post 20015055)
He has also worked on an igniter/oil spray system for his exhaust... He really hates tail-gaters!

A couple large cansiters of bear repellant pepper spray in the trunk with a remote trigger would be fun too!!:supergrin:

vart 02-21-2013 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullClip (Post 20015096)
A couple large cansiters of bear repellant pepper spray in the trunk with a remote trigger would be fun too!!:supergrin:

I have sprayed some OC out the side window to deal with a road rager on my tail and it works especially well...:whistling:

larry_minn 02-21-2013 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by vart (Post 20014940)

Driving to work this morning, there is a heavy fog with about 300' of visibility for about 15 miles of my trip.

Back where I grew up in Idaho, whenever there was the occasional winter/spring fog in the morning, people turned on their headlights.

Duh; that's common sense. Occasionally you would see a single car go by without headlights on and you would flash the person to turn their lights on.

This morning, fully half or more of the cars didn't have any lights on...:shocked:

Really?! Now, does that mean that people are dumber than they were 15 years ago when I drove in fog in Idaho, or are people in Arizona dumber than people in Idaho?:dunno:

Folks think the auto headlights will always turn on when needed. As said they don't. IMO if you are going to have daytime running lights you should have daytime tail-lights. With LED lights why not?
Course they likly realize they would forget to turn them off...

janice6 02-21-2013 13:42

Safety laws in Minnesota for Vehicles:

Headlights

Headlights must be used:
  • Between sunset and sunrise
  • When visibility dims to 500 feet or less
  • When windshield wipers are used in rain, snow, hail, sleet or fog

SC Tiger 02-21-2013 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiloh228 (Post 20015055)
I have a friend who has driven Vettes for most of his life...and he drives with headlights on all the time. (not sure why I mentioned the Vettes...just think it's a cool obsession for an engineer/lawyer...).

He also has installed a switch that allows him to turn on his brake lights independent of the brake pedal...a "back off" signal to tail-gaters.

Sorry for the OT drift...couldn't stop myself...:embarassed:

If he gets that working I might be interested in buying one. :tongueout:

flyover 02-21-2013 13:58

They are just as bad as the idiots that won't dim their brights to on coming cars at night.

Hummerbike 02-21-2013 13:58

I don't think people are necessarily getting dumber. They were probably just texting and didn't notice the fog.

LEOson 02-21-2013 14:05

Quote:

I can one up you this afternoon. Was on my way to work around 1. Driving on a four lane divided road with a speed limit of 45 when some ******* comes flying by doing about 50. Keep in mind there's a good three inches of snow on the road and in skidding around doing about 25. Watched the guy spin out and stop in the ditch. I laughed and kept driving. Am I an *******? Possibly. But he deserved it.

Green Teabagger 02-21-2013 14:05

i got superbright LED's in my daytime running lights so im good to go.. no need to turn on Headlights

Rutha73 02-21-2013 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullClip (Post 20014963)
Yep....nothing like a gray car zipping down the road in the fog, or a white car in a snow storm with no lights. :wow:

We call them "stealth fighters" back home, and yes....I think they are idiots.
:upeyes:

Don't worry though, Arizona doesn't have a monopoly on them.

I think we might during the winter, all the bad drivers come here this time of year!

G29Reload 02-21-2013 14:51

Quote:

Last Nov we found that slightly more than half the country is drooling, easily led idiots.

JudgeRoyBean 02-21-2013 15:00

People are just stupider now days and also a lot less courteous. :steamed:

Paul53 02-21-2013 19:14

BUT (there's always a but) In a real white out headlights will reflect back and blind you. "Parking" or running light without headlights, and SLOW DOWN works better.

For tailgaters, I just wash my windshield. Enough spray goes over the top to make the other guy have to use his wipers. They usually back off. If it's already raining out, turning off my wipers doesn't help. Still need to work on that part.

C4 Max 02-21-2013 19:43

Arizona has a lot of border crossers that don't know how to drive and we are in prime time for the snowbirds (blue hairs ) I was almost cut off in the far left lane going 70mph as I watched a late 80s Buick LeSabre get on the highway and immediately cross 4 lanes of traffic to settle in the fast lane going 55 in a 65 speed limit.

Mrs.Cicero 02-21-2013 19:48

There was a news article on Yahoo(?) last week about people being dumber now than they were 2,000 years ago. It didn't surprise me in the least. We keep letting the stupid ones survive long enough to breed...

jdeere_man 02-21-2013 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Teabagger (Post 20015713)
i got superbright LED's in my daytime running lights so im good to go.. no need to turn on Headlights

That's great, u got daylight running lights on the back so someone who comes up on you can see you and doesn't ass end you?