Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Survival/Preparedness Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Is this a decent deal? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1472648)

4TS&W 02-18-2013 21:18

Is this a decent deal?

1 Attachment(s)
UPC 78716 20100

Attachment 231332

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

jdeere_man 02-18-2013 22:57

Idk what's in it or the quality, but for $40 I dont think you could screw up too much.

Be aware of the amount of servings indicated are probably for rather small portions, which is typical of the way servings are measured. It depends how much you eat, but I'd figure you'll eat 1.5-2x the portion size.

4TS&W 02-18-2013 23:20

Looks like nothing fancy, but its clearance, and the website for the company has it listed at almost twice the $40. I figure I could have done better at Aldi with cheap canned and dried stuff, but this seems kinda portable for a short term grab. We'll see, there were 4 more left on the shelf.. So if I like this one I can grab a couple more.

SFCSMITH(RET) 02-19-2013 07:48

24,756 calories, if you believe the label. At $40 that's 618 calories to the dollar (as a comparison, long grain white rice has about 650 calories to the dry/raw cup, at about $.07) No way to tell nutritional value or sodium content from this angle.. if you care about such things.

It appears to be vegetarian.

Says it contains Morning Moo mix, that is the best dehydrated milk I have ever tasted.

I would buy all they had, but it would not be all I stored, by a long shot. If they have five of them, that is 60 days for one person at their 2000 calorie per day claim..

What's your water plan?

Deputydave 02-19-2013 08:26

The price is good if compared to Amazon/Ebay for same/similar item.

The sodium content will be high in many of the items. Not as high as I've seen in some other brands, but still very high. Long term it would not be the healthiest choice i.e. you're eating nothing but this every day for the next three months. However, if it was managed into a diet of other stuff i.e. fruits, veggies, oatmeal, powdered eggs etc then you could probably manage it without a problem IF sodium isn't an issue for you. For many people, of all ages, too much sodium is an issue and often a serious issue.

It can be a part of a prep package but should not be the prep package.

I like to store good ole fashioned oatmeal. A LOT of bang for the buck as I get 30 servings for less than $3. I like powdered eggs as a value and source of protein. I like storing tuna and pasta as well. All these things have a great shelf life. Sardines is another option.

And as mentioned, what is the water prep plan? More important that the food prep plan. Do you have access to non-grid water? If so, do you have several ways to disinfect it? Don't rely on just one. With a proper plan you could distill salt water easily with common household items...if you simply know how.

gnepig 02-19-2013 22:19

Good price, webuy them here for over $60 a pale.

4TS&W 02-20-2013 16:33

No water plan besides what I have stored, if I can't get water after that, my bug in becomes bug out. If anybody wants one I can go pick up more. I also have rice stored in a freezer, tuna, and some of the other items already mentioned, but the idea is not to stick around long, just bug in long enough to eval the bug out options/plan. If its a bug in plan for the longer haul, I know someone on well who is prepped for that, and he has pre invited a few like minded and well stocked people.

4TS&W 02-20-2013 16:45

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 231380

Here is the specs on the meals...