Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Volunteer Glockers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Middle Tn (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1472353)

Daniel r 02-17-2013 12:34

Middle Tn

Is it possible to get some enthusiasm?
I am proud to be in Tn, and proud to own arms.
Dan

janice6 02-17-2013 12:34

And we are pround of you for both reasons.

Daniel r 02-17-2013 12:35

:wavey:

Tom D 02-21-2013 21:26

Tn is a grand place.

Im a Ca. transplant and as much as I love the ocean I sure couldn't get with their program.

15 years in the Volunteer state and plan to be here for the duration. Great shooting!

OMEGA5 02-22-2013 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel r (Post 19998823)
Is it possible to get some enthusiasm?
I am proud to be in Tn, and proud to own arms.
Dan

I live in East TN (born & raised) and I've found that as
you go West, IQ levels drop with altitude. By the time you
get to Memphis, they call you "Lucy". Other than that, TN
is a great state to live in and own arms.
Dano

Daniel r 02-23-2013 14:12

I know what you mean, I work in Nashville, but Play in the Smokies, and avoid Memphis

redbrd 02-23-2013 14:44

I am a transplant and am glad to be in TN also. I don't claim Memphis either. I have been here a while. Librals nothing to see here , you wouldn't like it here.

OMEGA5 02-23-2013 14:58

I just retired from working for the State. My opinion of
anything west of Crossville isn't very flattering at all. The
stupidity coming out of Nashville is unreal and you
don't make it to Nashville without the support of Memphis.
You know what I'm talking about.
TN is a good state to live in if you live in the east and
I'm very thankful that little fact is not well known:supergrin:
Take care and hope you get to play often,
Dano

Daniel r 02-23-2013 16:22

You thinks Memphis likes Nashville:rofl:
Just because Nashville houses our politicians, doesn't mean us in the surrounding towns are bad.:dunno:
But I admit you do have the better part of the state.
I go there 10-15 times a year
Dan

Akita 02-24-2013 08:19

Born and raised here.

Is there any way to cede Memphis and surrounding area to Arkansas. Would they even take it? What if we promised them all free TVs and Nikes?

OMEGA5 02-24-2013 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akita (Post 20025914)
Born and raised here.

Is there any way to cede Memphis and surrounding area to Arkansas. Would they even take it? What if we promised them all free TVs and Nikes?

Arkansas gave us the Clintons so that's proff positive they'll
accept dang near anything. Still, Memphis would be a hard
pill to swallow :supergrin:
Dano

Tom D 02-24-2013 16:26

Like I mention I transplanted from Ca 15 years or so back. Spend some time there and Memphis would seem like a Utopia.

I really love the little town we live in 50 miles south of nashville and we only go there if we can not find another way not to go. Id rather drive in LA during rush hour than a Nashville during the rushhour. Its really the worst traffic situation in the nation (nashville)

ancient_serpent 02-24-2013 16:39

TN is great, not born here but I moved here as quick as I could.

Akita 02-25-2013 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom D (Post 20027525)
Like I mention I transplanted from Ca 15 years or so back. Spend some time there and Memphis would seem like a Utopia.

I really love the little town we live in 50 miles south of nashville and we only go there if we can not find another way not to go. Id rather drive in LA during rush hour than a Nashville during the rushhour. Its really the worst traffic situation in the nation (nashville)

Gotta agree and disagree with you on traffic. I've driven LA and was pleasantly suprised by the 'competence' of most of the drivers. My wife's (now deceased) Alzheimer's mother drove better than almost everyone I ever met outside of CA. My wife is hand-down the best female driver I have ever ridden with-better than the great majority of men. I think its one of those Learn or Die things in CA.

But by far the worst traffic I have experienced on a regular basis is Houston. Birmingham, Ala is as intense, but Houston wins on duration. Took me 7 hours to get home 30 miles from Houston one day with nothing except a minor wreck 20 miles north of town. On a good day, you have to drive like you dont care if you die, or someone will take away the space you are occupying!

Tom D 02-25-2013 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akita (Post 20030937)
Gotta agree and disagree with you on traffic. I've driven LA and was pleasantly suprised by the 'competence' of most of the drivers. My wife's (now deceased) Alzheimer's mother drove better than almost everyone I ever met outside of CA. My wife is hand-down the best female driver I have ever ridden with-better than the great majority of men. I think its one of those Learn or Die things in CA.

But by far the worst traffic I have experienced on a regular basis is Houston. Birmingham, Ala is as intense, but Houston wins on duration. Took me 7 hours to get home 30 miles from Houston one day with nothing except a minor wreck 20 miles north of town. On a good day, you have to drive like you dont care if you die, or someone will take away the space you are occupying!

I drove flatbed for many years and you hit the nail on the head about Houston, BAD any time of the day any side of the city ahhhh boy you brought back some memories. Same with Birmingham, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Gary, NASHVILLE, LA isn't bad at all just slow goin.

San Diego could be a mess but San Diego traffic had a rhythm zero to 60 to 0 to 60 to 0 all the way.

LA seemed to move at about 10 mph but constant and predictable.
I was saying I'd drive LA any day over Nashville.

G35DriverG19Carrier 02-25-2013 15:20

Well I'm an East Tennessee guy and I love it. I love Nashville too. I've been there a few times to play some disc golf (yeah a 23 year old is too broke to play real golf) but its a great town. Plus I end up there 2-3 times a year for a concert or football.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Daniel r 02-28-2013 14:40

need a meet and shoot weekend sometime in the summer.
Fellowship noise and putting holes in paper!
And yes East Tn is an option
Dan

WIMPY 02-28-2013 14:53

For all of you with one leg longer than the other:tongueout:

:wavey: HELLO from flat side of the state. It's just like any other part, if you watch your "6" it is not a bad place and most of the time it's very good. I would like to invite ya'll down for Memphis in May and the "World Championship
Bar-B-Q Festival. Be sure to bring plenty of $$$$ us is poor down here.:cool:

Daniel r 02-28-2013 18:25

LoL
I actually do go there alot for work. I just stop at Bartlet to overnite
Dan

railfancwb 02-28-2013 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akita (Post 20025914)
Born and raised here.

Won't be an issue after the New Madrid Fault lets go again.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Tom D 02-28-2013 20:05

Never thought Memphis would be such a "diverse" city. Sure enjoyed some great collards and ham hocks and bbq that was as good as any you'll find anywhere is the understatement of the year.

The traffic for a truck driver would make you curse your mother for given you birth. I think they patch the pot holes with sticks of dymonite

Tom D 02-28-2013 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel r (Post 20041905)
need a meet and shoot weekend sometime in the summer.
Fellowship noise and putting holes in paper!
And yes East Tn is an option
Dan

Were right in the middle of the state and have a great range about 5 miles out of town, a couple of B&B's. I know the guy that owns the range and he'd let us reserve the place for a day or two charges normally $5.00/per person for all day. 15 bench rests out to 300yds coverd. 8 handgun 20 ydsc (I think)and covered, shotgun patterning and clays if you bring your own thrower.
Woodbury is a fine town.

Larry_K 03-01-2013 06:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom D (Post 20043217)
The traffic for a truck driver would make you curse your mother for given you birth. I think they patch the pot holes with sticks of dymonite

You're not far from the truth. The local "road crews" fix pot holes during the day without even closing down lanes on the interstate. Dudes run out into the interstate with shovels and throw steaming asphalt into the potholes, I've almost hit some of them before! They rely on the traffic to run over the asphalt and level out the holes.

Joshhtn 03-01-2013 07:01

Gotta love Middle TN!!

Akita 03-01-2013 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry_K (Post 20044200)
You're not far from the truth. The local "road crews" fix pot holes during the day without even closing down lanes on the interstate. Dudes run out into the interstate with shovels and throw steaming asphalt into the potholes, I've almost hit some of them before! They rely on the traffic to run over the asphalt and level out the holes.

I cant decide if thats more funny or absurd!
But I believe every word of it.