Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heckler & Koch Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   USPC 9mm - not popular? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471899)

Glock 1 02-15-2013 06:28

USPC 9mm - not popular?

Hey guys I am new to HK. I have never shot one but might be inclined to keep one of these.

I am a dealer and I have 10 HK USPC 9mm on the way. I should have them in about 10 days. I was wondering if these are a "wanted item" I see very few on Gun Broker (and they have no bids) which is where I plan to sell them. It bothers me that they don't seem to have much of a following or maybe I am missing something?

I have read a few threads here and watched a few youtube videos and they seem to be very nice pistols. Are they just too pricey for some folks?

WT 02-15-2013 09:25

They are a nice pistol but I think the Glock 19 is their main competitor. I can't get too excited about the 9mm USP Compact. The $ difference between the two pistols is pretty big. Why spend big bucks for a mere 9mm pistol?

I think the .40 caliber and .45 caliber USP Compacts are probably more popular because they are unique for a plastic framed pistol - thumb safety, hammer, decocker, variations, etc.

That said I own a .45 USP Compact and 9mm Glocks.

Hope this rambling helps.

barth 02-15-2013 09:37

Seems like the hot ticket with HK in 9mm is the new P30.
Second would be the popular sub-compact P2000SK.
USP guns, although still in production, is an older design.

Glock 1 02-15-2013 10:09

That is good to know. Thanks.

lavon_andy 02-15-2013 10:30

Not sure, but my wife sure likes them. She had to get a full sized because no one locally had the compact (no big loss she isn't CCing it anyways).

Safety features were one of the key points for her

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

moonwilson 02-15-2013 10:39

The silly HK proprietary rail on those things doesn't help. If HK is going to continue to make USPs, they should really switch to a standard rail or ditch the rail entirely. Of course that would mean new molds. They're probably still making USPs because they already have the molds and tooling and they are good guns. They shouldn't be the better part of a thousand bucks though.

I like USPs and own one, but it doesn't make sense to shell out that kind of money for something when the same manufacturer has already updated the design.

James Dean 02-15-2013 14:33

I only own one HK and its the USPc 9mm. I like mine. I don't like the price of the mags.

HKLovingIT 02-15-2013 15:19

There are a couple of things that make them a harder sell IMO:

1. Price - they cost more and price themselves out of some people's budgets entirely, and there are also some people that look at them and say "Gosh, I could buy two Glocks for the price of one H&K!" Yeah well, I could buy two Hi-Points for the price of one Glock. And? In other words, someone who buys an H&K usually knows ahead of time they want an H&K before they head to the store.

2. Magazine prices. For the USPc 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig it's usually not too much more than Glocks (these days who knows), for .45 ACP models, you're going to pay. That turns some people off.

3. DA/SA - and the safety. Some people don't like it. Some people don't know that LEM with no safety (or with) is an option instead of DA/SA. Some people don't like either one and prefer striker fired. Up to them. :dunno:

4. On the USP and USPc specifically, the rail type can be a problem for some. The adapter is no big deal, but still it's something else to buy if someone intends to hang a standard interface light or laser on it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/385...aluminum-matte

5. A USPc 9mm will hold a couple less rounds than the similar sized Glock 19. Some people don't like that.

They will sell, but I would think they will definitely move slower than Glocks, M&P or XD, etc. Same reason the Mercedes dealer's lot doesn't have as many cars on display as the Honda dealer. There's just a whole lot more people that can afford a Honda and for whom it does everything they want, so no need for them to go upscale unless they are specifically looking for the things the Mercedes offers that the Honda doesn't.

If you have a hard time moving them you could try a couple things:

1. Lower the price a bit - I know, duh.
2. Offer a longer layaway period on them versus other brands to help take the sting out for some who really want it but might need longer to come up with the cash.
3. Put together a little package with some "extras" thrown in to sweeten the deal.
4. Go to the HKPro forum and offer up a group buy on all of them at a bit of a discount.

My quiz on if someone should buy an H&K:

1. Do you want a hammer fired pistol?

No - Okay. Buy a Glock, M&P, XD, Walther, Steyr or FNS.

Yes - Proceed...

2. Do you want an all metal hammer fired gun?

Yes - buy a SIG, CZ, 1911, Makarov, BHP, Baby Eagle, 3rd Gen Smith, etc.

No - Proceed...

3. Do you want the best polymer frame, hammer fired pistol on the planet?

No - 2nd place ain't so bad. Buy an FN.

Yes - Congratulations - you want an H&K. Will that be credit or debit? :supergrin:

As for me, I loves me some USP and USPc pistols. They are my favorite H&Ks.

deeHKman 02-16-2013 09:13

Been thru them all and HK is way above any other gun!!
The USPc is a great gun! Sold all my glocks and have only
HK's now. The prices may be high but quality and reliability
as stellar as any HK is not cheap.....

econjon 02-18-2013 16:26

I just sold a USPc 9mm and bought the P30. Why? Mainly because I'm left handed and wanted the ambidextrous controls. I also really like the customizable grips. I really liked the compact but couldn't keep both. The upside is that I sold it to my brother so it's still in the family :cool:

NEOH212 02-18-2013 17:45

But at least the USPC 9mm isn't plagued by all the Gen4 issues....:whistling:

NEOH212 02-18-2013 17:46

I'd take the P30 over the USPC 9mm any day just because of the egro's alone.

faawrenchbndr 02-18-2013 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 20003657)
But at least the USPC 9mm isn't plagued by all the Gen4 issues....:whistling:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 20003660)
I'd take the P30 over the USPC 9mm any day just because of the egro's alone.

Can not agree more, the P30 is amazing!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ndr/HK/P30.jpg

bac1023 02-18-2013 20:15

I like them quite a bit. :cool:

bac1023 02-18-2013 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by WT (Post 19990387)
Why spend big bucks for a mere 9mm pistol?

Would you kindly explain to me exactly what in the hell you're talking about?

That sounds asinine, quite honestly. :upeyes:

faawrenchbndr 02-18-2013 21:33

Oops.......

RJ's Guns 02-19-2013 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by bac1023 (Post 20004330)
Would you kindly explain to me exactly what in the hell you're talking about?

That sounds asinine, quite honestly. :upeyes:

I guess that means that the only handguns that are worth "big bucks" are those chambered for 500 S&W magnum

RJ

NEOH212 02-19-2013 02:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ's Guns (Post 20005191)
I guess that means that the only handguns that are worth "big bucks" are those chambered for 500 S&W magnum

RJ

I beg to differ and must disagree. Once upon a time I thought all I'd ever want is a Glock until I purchased my first HK. I then purchased a Sig. Needless to say, I dumped all but two of my Glocks for more Sig and HK pistols.

While I'll agree that expensive doesn't always equal better than something else, in most cases it does. For me and many others, there is a massive difference between HK and Sig, versus everything else in the production non-1911 category but hey, to each their own. If your happy with what you have, there isn't any reason to get anything else.

NEOH212 02-19-2013 02:55

Glock versus HK P30.

No comparison in favor of the P30. Glock has nothing on HK, let alone the P30.

dpadams6 02-19-2013 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOH212 (Post 20005292)
I beg to differ and must disagree. Once upon a time I thought all I'd ever want is a Glock until I purchased my first HK. I then purchased a Sig. Needless to say, I dumped all but two of my Glocks for more Sig and HK pistols.

While I'll agree that expensive doesn't always equal better than something else, in most cases it does. For me and many others, there is a massive difference between HK and Sig, versus everything else in the production non-1911 category but hey, to each their own. If your happy with what you have, there isn't any reason to get anything else.

Agreed. Nothing shoots like the sig/hk.