Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   U.S. Soldier Has AR15 Malfuntion Then Gets Really Screwed (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471754)

TSAX 02-14-2013 12:55

U.S. Soldier Has AR15 Malfuntion Then Gets Really Screwed

This is an old but jacked up story, anyone with more details or know the outcome please let us know.

Part 2
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB237rfvHys

:50cal:

AK_Stick 02-14-2013 12:57

There's a lot to that story.

He was transferring a machine gun IMO.

eb07 02-14-2013 13:00

They fail to mention he was actively involved with neo-nazis and was outspoken about it on internet forums. Bottom line is he was the nail that stuck out, and the ATF hammered it. Pity is not found.

Glockdude1 02-14-2013 13:06

:faint:

Batesmotel 02-14-2013 13:13

I doubt it went full auto. Sounds like it was an accidental bump fire of two rounds.

TSAX 02-14-2013 13:14

Added Part 2 to the original post

:50cal:

Peace Warrior 02-14-2013 13:16

I thought he was loading his own and using "soft" primers.

So yes, what ever happened to this one?

ETA: All federal courts up to the U.S. Supreme Court have since denied David Olofson's appeals.

he's out by now.

cesaros 02-14-2013 13:34

Sounds like a malfunction that almost ended in a run-a-way gun...luckily there was a failure to feed.

Unless he intentionally modified the AR15 to shoot multiple rounds per trigger squeeze...he's not guilty of anything.

Whoever the jurors were, they are freakin' morons.

KalashniKEV 02-14-2013 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batesmotel (Post 19987573)
I doubt it went full auto. Sounds like it was an accidental bump fire of two rounds.

He made a machine gun and loaned it to a friend, who took it to a public range to pop off.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sqnjZD8MC7...omplaint_3.jpg

Not smart.

SMOKEin 02-14-2013 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cesaros (Post 19987640)
Sounds like a malfunction that almost ended in a run-a-way gun...luckily there was a failure to feed.

Unless he intentionally modified the AR15 to shoot multiple rounds per trigger squeeze...he's not guilty of anything.

Whoever the jurors were, they are freakin' morons.

Did you see the evidence that was presented in the courtroom?

Fox 02-14-2013 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by eb07 (Post 19987528)
They fail to mention he was actively involved with neo-nazis and was outspoken about it on internet forums. Bottom line is he was the nail that stuck out, and the ATF hammered it. Pity is not found.

The guy is a radical, but they did not bust him for that. What the ATF did was to get the courts to establish a new gun law where all gun owners can go to jail for a malfunctioning firearm.

Glock20 10mm 02-14-2013 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox (Post 19987716)
The guy is a radical, but they did not bust him for that. What the ATF did was to get the courts to establish a new gun law where all gun owners can go to jail for a malfunctioning firearm.

Bingo! Precedence has been set so if you bump fire and someone hears it... you are screwed, if your weapon suffers a malfunction that makes it appear to be firing in auto and someone calls you are screwed. I have seen pistols "go auto" when they fail. Case in point... my G20 when it catastrophically failed it fired two rounds in rapid succession with only a single pull of the trigger then the slide locked back due to the physical failure.

According to precedence technically I could now be tried an convicted if this were to happen again. And the gun failed at Markley's gun range and the owner did confront me about "rapid shooting". Once I showed him the failure and explained what happened he was cool with it BUT what if he had a bone to pick because he was in a crap mood?

Things are getting dangerous for gun owners. We need to pay attention or we're going to get burned.

cesaros 02-14-2013 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMOKEin (Post 19987666)
Did you see the evidence that was presented in the courtroom?

Sorry, must have missed the court date...

But I did stay at a holiday inn.

Sam Spade 02-14-2013 14:39

He was a member here; I corresponded with him.

Besides the AR with M-16 parts that somehow went full auto, he also appeared to be making unregistered lowers for his friends. His claim was that he only transferred 80% lowers and never, ever, cross my heart, helped anyone do the work. Based on the plea deal he said the Feds offered him, I didn't (and don't) believe him.

Way more detail available on arfcom, where there was an epic thread, complete with copies of warrants and indictments.

cesaros 02-14-2013 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalashniKEV (Post 19987661)
He made a machine gun and loaned it to a friend, who took it to a public range to pop off.

Not smart.

sounds like he didn't make it very well.

too bad, now he's in federal prison for stupidity.

Certainly shouldn't have gotten time in the pen for this. A hefty fine, sure...but tax dollars are better spent elsewhere.

faawrenchbndr 02-14-2013 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm (Post 19987769)
Bingo! Precedence has been set so if you bump fire and someone hears it... you are screwed, if your weapon suffers a malfunction that makes it appear to be firing in auto and someone calls you are screwed. I have seen pistols "go auto" when they fail. Case in point... my G20 when it catastrophically failed it fired two rounds in rapid succession with only a single pull of the trigger then the slide locked back due to the physical failure.

According to precedence technically I could now be tried an convicted if this were to happen again. And the gun failed at Markley's gun range and the owner did confront me about "rapid shooting". Once I showed him the failure and explained what happened he was cool with it BUT what if he had a bone to pick because he was in a crap mood?

Things are getting dangerous for gun owners. We need to pay attention or we're going to get burned.

Sounds like you need to find another range.

There is a heck of a lot more to the OP's story than is here.
The dude screwed up.........now he is paying the price!

Glock19Fan 02-14-2013 14:44

Just becuase he is in the military doesnt make his actions any better. He broke the law intentionally, and I dont see in any way how this could be accidental.

TBO 02-14-2013 14:58

The info was there the whole time... if someone was honestly looking for it.

Glock20 10mm 02-14-2013 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr (Post 19987847)
Sounds like you need to find another range.

There is a heck of a lot more to the OP's story than is here.
The dude screwed up.........now he is paying the price!

I did... on my property. :tongueout:

faawrenchbndr 02-14-2013 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm (Post 19987912)
I did... on my property. :tongueout:

Soooooo jealous! Wish I could say that. In a few years it will be a reality.

KalashniKEV 02-14-2013 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm (Post 19987769)
Bingo! Precedence has been set so if you bump fire and someone hears it... you are screwed, if your weapon suffers a malfunction that makes it appear to be firing in auto and someone calls you are screwed.

Stop the insanity.

1) He installed a FULL AUTO FCG (not a burst sear) into a modified AR WITH THE AUTO SEAR AXIS PIN. There were also mods to the BCG.

2) He loaned it to a "customer" while he waited on parts and instructed him not to place the weapon on "burst" or it would "jam."

3) The "customer" took it to a public range and fired three bursts before it malfunctioned, drawing the attention of Law Enforcement.

4) Upon seizing the firearm, Agents were able to perform 3 x 20 round mag dumps in a row, cyclic, with no malfunctions- with the selector in the third position, utilizing the installed auto sear.

Separate hilarity:

1) When interviewed regarding his machine gun, he told investigators, "That's nothing... I have a .50 cal sniper rifle!"

2) He modified 80% lowers and sold them without doing 4473s.

3) He was illegally using an FFL that was registered to another individual or entity.

4) Was in the Klan or WAR or something...

certifiedfunds 02-14-2013 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalashniKEV (Post 19987661)

Not smart.

I have no problem with that. Shouldn't even be a crime

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Glock20 10mm 02-14-2013 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalashniKEV (Post 19987917)
Stop the insanity.

1) He installed a FULL AUTO FCG (not a burst sear) into a modified AR WITH THE AUTO SEAR AXIS PIN. There were also mods to the BCG.

2) He loaned it to a "customer" while he waited on parts and instructed him not to place the weapon on "burst" or it would "jam."

3) The "customer" took it to a public range and fired three bursts before it malfunctioned, drawing the attention of Law Enforcement.

4) Upon seizing the firearm, Agents were able to perform 3 x 20 round mag dumps in a row, cyclic, with no malfunctions- with the selector in the third position, utilizing the installed auto sear.

Separate hilarity:

1) When interviewed regarding his machine gun, he told investigators, "That's nothing... I have a .50 cal sniper rifle!"

3) He was illegally using an FFL that was registered to another individual or entity.

Alrighty then... I stand scolded and educated.

certifiedfunds 02-14-2013 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalashniKEV (Post 19987917)
Stop the insanity.

Separate hilarity:

All of which should be perfectly legal. Why do his political views matter?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

TBO 02-14-2013 15:26

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...O/Mistakes.jpg