Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Texas to revisit open carry for handguns (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471056)

HerrGlock 02-11-2013 06:52

Texas to revisit open carry for handguns

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/02/11/518...carry-for.html

redbaron007 02-11-2013 07:06

Sounds like a marvelous idea to me!! :elephant:

Only one wish, it not be tied to a CCW endorsement. But Hey, you can't win them all!

:wavey:

red

dcc12 02-11-2013 18:23

While it would be nice to not be as worried about clothing selection, I would probably continue to carry concealed. I think open carry would just present retention problems with kids/nuts attempting take guns, and also presents a shoot the guy with the gun first situations.

kenpoprofessor 02-11-2013 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcc12 (Post 19976912)
While it would be nice to not be as worried about clothing selection, I would probably continue to carry concealed. I think open carry would just present retention problems with kids/nuts attempting take guns, and also presents a shoot the guy with the gun first situations.

You know, I wonder how people who think like you can get through life without handwringing on something like this?

If it isn't for you, then it isn't for you, much like smoking, driving, golfing, motorcycling, whatever. You guys are as bad as DemocRATS.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

TK-421 02-11-2013 19:03

I sure do hope they finally pass it. The more options we have, the better. Even if we don't exercise every single option every single day, the ability to pick and choose is great.

Tx-SIG229 02-11-2013 19:15

people who are anti open carry keep citing that OCers would be the first target in a robbery... i call BS.... are there any stats to prove this theory?

deadmanglocking 02-11-2013 19:16

I'd love to have the option. I probably wouldn't open carry but knowing that if I accidentally got exposed I'd be legal would be nice.

oldman11 02-11-2013 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbaron007 (Post 19974588)
Sounds like a marvelous idea to me!! :elephant:

Only one wish, it not be tied to a CCW endorsement. But Hey, you can't win them all!

red

I don't see having the open carry tied to our CHL causing any kind of problem at all. That way you could concealed carry or open carry or partially concealed. One license to cover all carry sounds good to me.

oldman11 02-11-2013 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor (Post 19977018)
You know, I wonder how people who think like you can get through life without handwringing on something like this?

If it isn't for you, then it isn't for you, much like smoking, driving, golfing, motorcycling, whatever. You guys are as bad as DemocRATS.

Clyde

You're right, there are those people that live their life with "yeah, but what if". They seem to live in fear of everything.

SCmasterblaster 02-12-2013 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx-SIG229 (Post 19977110)
people who are anti open carry keep citing that OCers would be the first target in a robbery... i call BS.... are there any stats to prove this theory?

I would think that the OCer would be the LAST target for a mugging!!

AA_Khost 02-12-2013 13:05

I hope it passes. There are times I would like to carry my G20 and other full size firearms without worrying about printing.
There is a clause in the bill that you would have to use a retention holster. I do not like that part nor the fact it's tied in to your CHL.

But it is a start.

AGAF 02-12-2013 15:10

Sure hope it passes. Would love to have the option. That article is dead on....no OC in Texas just doesn't fit the culture. I've lived here my entire life. Outside the metroplex areas, no one would blink an eye seeing people walk around openly carrying their gun.

redbaron007 02-12-2013 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman11 (Post 19977320)
I don't see having the open carry tied to our CHL causing any kind of problem at all. That way you could concealed carry or open carry or partially concealed. One license to cover all carry sounds good to me.

Depending on the state's constitution, it may not be a licensed issue, but a constitutional issue. CCW is generally a permit; meaning it isn't a right.

The perfect scenario would be to have OC unregulated. In MO, it is a right to OC; however, municipalities can restrict it. We are working to resolve that, hopefully.

red

TK-421 02-12-2013 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster (Post 19979470)
I would think that the OCer would be the LAST target for a mugging!!

Their theory is that if a guy with a gun walks into a mini mart to rob the place, he'll shoot a guy in the back if he's openly carrying a firearm, just so the guy won't try to stop the robber from robbing the place. I haven't seen any evidence to back up that theory, and from stories I've heard, open carry is more likely to prevent a robbery, rather than make you a target. However, those are stories, so take them with a grain of salt. But I sure would like to see data from both sides of the argument.

Swipter 02-12-2013 17:21

Arizona doesn't have an issue with it and you don't need a CCW to do it.

Kamo 02-12-2013 17:34

I'm jealous. No OC on Long Island and your chances of even getting a CC is comparable to winning the lottery. :(

I hope it passes for you guys out there in the Free State that so many of us here wish we could live in. Good luck.

HKLovingIT 02-12-2013 18:22

Well it's about time Texas got with the program and enacted better gun laws.

Just poking your ribs. :tongueout::rofl:

I hope you guys get it passed.

akbluz 02-12-2013 21:13

Well I guess we here in Alaska are lucky in a couple of ways... If you are legal to own a gun then
1) No license is needed to carry concealed
2) It is also legal to 'open carry' (no license required)

There are the restrictions on carrying at the post office, schools, federal buildings but hey, guess we have to live with that.

happyguy 02-13-2013 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor (Post 19977018)

Clyde

How is it that expessing that open carry is not for him and then giving the reason makes him as bad as a "DemocRATS"?

Are you just trolling again?

Regard,
Comrade Happyguy :) Whohasbeenknowntoopencarryonoccassion

The Boar Buster 02-13-2013 22:09

Texas Constitution

Sec. 23. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have

the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or

the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate

the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.

Lord 02-14-2013 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadmanglocking (Post 19977115)
I'd love to have the option. I probably wouldn't open carry but knowing that if I accidentally got exposed I'd be legal would be nice.

Accidental exposure is not illegal in TX.

SCmasterblaster 02-14-2013 16:07

It is somewhat a surprise to hear that OC is outlawed in TX.

TXPamIAm 02-17-2013 22:31

-----

TXPamIAm 02-17-2013 22:35

-----

RyanNREMTP 02-18-2013 05:27

I'm all for it. The way I see it is the more bills and rights in our favor is better than having them striped away. I occasionally open carry but mainly conceal carry.

Besides if open carry is made legal and I do decide to open carry more, there is no way in hell I'm going to open carry a Glock. I want something shinier. :tongueout: