Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hospital bed mattress recomendations - anyone? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471001)

itisbruno 02-10-2013 19:57

Hospital bed mattress recomendations - anyone?
 
My mom is bedridden and has a birthday approaching.

I'd like to get her a more comfortable hospital bed mattress then the one medicare provided, but have no idea what is good and what is crap.

Anyone with knowledge of this type of product have recommendations? Her current one is more like something you would expect to find on a prison bunk.

Thanks.

Willfulone 02-10-2013 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by itisbruno (Post 19973429)
My mom is bedridden and has a birthday approaching.

I'd like to get her a more comfortable hospital bed mattress then the one medicare provided, but have no idea what is good and what is crap.

Anyone with knowledge of this type of product have recommendations? Her current one is more like something you would expect to find on a prison bunk.

Thanks.

They have a Gel based top for them that works very well.

If you are close, I have one you can come get, if not the
medical supply places have than for about 300


Will

itisbruno 02-10-2013 20:04

Thanks for the kind offer and info, Willfulone - I'm in the midwest tho

That gives me something to search for though, thanks very much.

stolenphot0 02-10-2013 20:05

Something I would recommend looking into if you can afford it, is the beds that automatically inflate to help relieve pressure spots. When my wife spent a month in the hospital last year, the bed in there had that. How long has she had the current mattress?

Perhaps find a physical therapist that can write up and fight for her needs. Good luck.

itisbruno 02-10-2013 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by stolenphot0 (Post 19973465)
Something I would recommend looking into if you can afford it, is the beds that automatically inflate to help relieve pressure spots. When my wife spent a month in the hospital last year, the bed in there had that. How long has she had the current mattress?

Perhaps find a physical therapist that can write up and fight for her needs. Good luck.

She has had it for a few years, stolenphot0.

Trying to get a replacement via her doc is a thought, but if I can't, I'll flip for it myself, she is worth it.

Thanks for the tip!

ronin.45 02-10-2013 22:39

If she has the standard flimsy innerspring mattress a good upgrade would be a Solace foam mattress. A low-air-loss inflatable one could be a good choice as well especially if sores are an issue. The gel topper previously mentioned would be an improvement for sure. Her doctor shouldn't have a problem prescribing one so insurance will help cover the cost.

Paul53 02-11-2013 16:11

I'd actually avoid anything designated for hospital use. Always hard and sealed for infection control. Price the air inflatable type, that way you can be sure she'll be comfortable. I'm sure you know you need padding where bones are close to the surface to avoid skin breakdown. (elbows, hips, coccyx, heels).
It's great of you to do this. "Who is caring for the caregiver" is a hot topic in healthcare now.

stolenphot0 02-11-2013 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by itisbruno (Post 19973947)
She has had it for a few years, stolenphot0.

Trying to get a replacement via her doc is a thought, but if I can't, I'll flip for it myself, she is worth it.

Thanks for the tip!

Ok, since she has had it for a while, a good PT usually works with a few medical supply shops and should be able to prescribe and get what's needed. They have to write the request up very specifically if Medicare is going to help. Good luck.

itisbruno 02-11-2013 21:51

Thanks for the great advice gang! A low-air-loss inflatable is what I'm looking for, the doc sent in a perscription, but it has to specifically say something avout level 2 bedsores or something.

I really appreciate the help!

And the GSD's are caring for the caregiver, they are my sanity.

:supergrin:

jeager 02-11-2013 21:55

I was on one of those inflating jobs for three weeks.
(november)
noisy. sweaty.
couldn't get more'n 1.5 hrs sleep at a time.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:07.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.