Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sweeney Todd razor (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1470832)

Fox 02-10-2013 01:52

Sweeney Todd razor

I was looking at shaving products on amazon.com and came across a replica of the Sweeney Todd razor.

I was excited. :wow:

I was so looking forward to shaving with that blade. Then I read the reviews and was in for a letdown. :crying:

It's cheap junk, a mere theater prop or decoration. :rant:

Rock Hound 02-10-2013 02:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox (Post 19970076)
I was looking at shaving products on amazon.com and came across a replica of the Sweeney Todd razor.

Amazon.com: Trademark Huge Sweeney Todd Replica Straight Razor Knife: Sports & Outdoors

I was excited. :wow:

I was so looking forward to shaving with that blade. Then I read the reviews and was in for a letdown. :crying:

It's cheap junk, a mere theater prop or decoration. :rant:

Shaving with that is asking for some big knicks across the neck anyway! :shocked:

Mark Smeaton 02-10-2013 07:11

I dropped my grandfather's straight razor at a barber to have it sharpened. When I picked it up, the barber asked what I planned to do with it. "Shave with it" I said. He got a big grin on his face when he handed it to me and he said "Good luck with that."

Scariest shave ever! I then knew why my grandfather took so long to shave, and why beards were so popular back then.

syntaxerrorsix 02-10-2013 07:30

I use this Boker on Saturdays after I've cut my hair. It takes about thirty minutes for me to do it right. During the week I use the DE's, much faster.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps224a3fc8.jpg

This is the one I'd like to have.

http://www.thiers-issard.co.uk/wpima...b7f6_05_06.jpg

Fox 02-10-2013 22:18

I will be checking the antique stores for a good one. I am wondering how to sharpen them.

ray9898 02-10-2013 22:34

Shaving is not magical to me....I see no thrill in shaving with a straight blade.

MtBaldy 02-10-2013 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray9898 (Post 19973978)
Shaving is not magical to me....I see no thrill in shaving with a straight blade.

I think the thrill is knowing you're one muscle spasm away from slitting your own jugular vein.

Edit:

In the interest of full disclosure, I do shave every day, well when I shave, with a Merkur DE razor. Some people, my wife, think that's pretty extreme but I get a great shave. Still, you have to draw the line somewhere and I think straight razors are my line.

syntaxerrorsix 02-11-2013 04:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox (Post 19973924)
I will be checking the antique stores for a good one. I am wondering how to sharpen them.

I use a Norton 4/8k stone and a leather strop. I would also suggest having it professionally sharpened at least once so you know what "shaving sharp" is suppose to feel like. It's not hard at all to sharpen the vast majority of razors.

Lay the blade flat on the stone and with the spine trailing push forward toe to heal. Flip the blade and bring it back to you. Repeat. Go real slow using only the weight of the blade and finish with copious amounts of stropping on good leather.

I've got probably 100 shaves with the Boker and I've only honed it once. I strop before and after each shave however. I bought the Boker new and it was not shaving sharp so unless it states otherwise it will need to be sharpened.

sappy13 02-11-2013 08:48

I use an oldschool gillete DE safety razor when I cleanshave. Iv been meaning to get a true straight razor for a while, but i just dont cleanshave enough to make it worth the 100-200 dollars to get a quality razor. Its on my to do list though. I love shaving with my gillete.

BEER 02-11-2013 09:39

i'd love to be able to use that type of stuff but unfortunately i've been told by professional barbers that i grow wire wool instead of hair so i'm forced to use cheap disposables.

i literally destroy a brand new mach 3 cartridge each time i shave my face even though i knock it all down to stubble with a pair of electric clippers first.

Fox 02-11-2013 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEER (Post 19975072)
i'd love to be able to use that type of stuff but unfortunately i've been told by professional barbers that i grow wire wool instead of hair so i'm forced to use cheap disposables.

i literally destroy a brand new mach 3 cartridge each time i shave my face even though i knock it all down to stubble with a pair of electric clippers first.

You may want to try a double edged safety razor. Check out the Wilkerson Sword safety razor and blades.

knotquiteawake 02-11-2013 10:30

Thank goodness I now have a job that doesn't require silly things like facial hygene... I let my beard grow as it pleases, just a quick trim every couple weeks to keep the wife happy and a neck shave every week to prevent the neckbeard.

Before I stopped shaving I was pretty interested in the straight edge, but I just wouldn't have the time for it.

sappy13 02-11-2013 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by knotquiteawake (Post 19975264)
Thank goodness I now have a job that doesn't require silly things like facial hygene... I let my beard grow as it pleases, just a quick trim every couple weeks to keep the wife happy and a neck shave every week to prevent the neckbeard.

Before I stopped shaving I was pretty interested in the straight edge, but I just wouldn't have the time for it.

I loved having facial hair and not shaving, but my boss told me early on that it wasnt professional enough and asked me to shave. Went from full facial to a clean goatee. Now i just keep it a little over stubble level with an electric or totally clean.

railfancwb 02-11-2013 10:42

When I retired from the workforce I retired from shaving and haircuts as well.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

knotquiteawake 02-11-2013 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by sappy13 (Post 19975293)
I loved having facial hair and not shaving, but my boss told me early on that it wasnt professional enough and asked me to shave. Went from full facial to a clean goatee. Now i just keep it a little over stubble level with an electric or totally clean.

I've been told condescendingly by a family member "Nobody successful or in upper management ever got there with a beard". His assertion was that Beard=middle management for life. Thats fine with me though. I'm just really not that ambitious.

BEER 02-11-2013 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox (Post 19975143)
You may want to try a double edged safety razor. Check out the Wilkerson Sword safety razor and blades.

i've tried em, i dull both edges doing 1 side of my face. it's weird having 1 side smooth and nice and the other side is raw and broken out because the razor pulls more hair than it shaves.

i've tried super hot water to open my pores, more specialty face washes and shaving creams than i can count, shaving with the hair, against the hair, even across the hair and none of it works. i just have to accept the fact i have a chuck norris level beard.