Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Man arrested after taking gun out at Sanford day care center (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1470512)

TBO 02-08-2013 12:28

Man arrested after taking gun out at Sanford day care center

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...nford-d/nWJPg/
---------------------

We need to ensure our friends & family who carry know their laws, follow those laws, and get refreshed on those laws.

ScottieG59 02-08-2013 12:45

I agree that people need to be informed and receive refresher training yo deal with all the complications of carrying a firearm.

I am sure many inexperienced gun owners have made innocent mistakes.

Taking a weapon out to show it off is one of the things one does not do anywhere. It only invites problems and, in some cases, legal problems.

Additionally, a dumb lack of judgement is not the same as a deliberate criminal act. Our prosecutors should be able to differentiate between criminal intentions and a mistake.

I do not know what this incident details will turn out to be, and there is not enough said. Still, it does not seem the gun owner had criminal intent or the desire to harm others.

Laslo 02-08-2013 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBO (Post 19964246)

---------------------

We need to ensure our friends & family who carry know their laws, follow those laws, and get refreshed on those laws.

I couldn't agree more that friends and family need to know the laws. That being said how many of us remember a couple guys in our CPL classes that were more than likely to run into an issue with LE and give the rest of us a bad name.

Laws can state that you have no criminal\felony record however the laws say nothing about having common sense or a quiz on no carry zones.

mortpes 02-08-2013 22:53

It is not a good idea to expose your gun, play with your gun, talk about your gun, etc. in public.

CanMan 02-08-2013 23:27

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Albert Einstein

Paul53 02-09-2013 01:35

In the immortal words of the genius Forest Gump "mama always said that stupid is as stupid does."

Green Dragoon 02-09-2013 07:11

too many newbies carrying these days...with little to no training.....or, common sense.

Back in the day, we used to have a name for people that felt a need to show everyone their weapon. It was called John Wayne syndrome.

At gun stores, I think the majority of people put their fingers right on the trigger when they are handed a weapon.

This is why I don't go to gun shows anymore.

RichardB 02-09-2013 08:11

His Concealed Carry training and the handouts provided told him this was a No-No.

Jim S. 02-09-2013 20:25

It reminds me of why I believe every American citizen should go through the military before they go out into the world.
And my radical viewpoint is that if everyone went into the Marine Corps at age eighteen it would be a better world all around - oohrah!!!

pizza_pablo 02-09-2013 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim S. (Post 19969262)
It reminds me of why I believe every American citizen should go through the military before they go out into the world.
And my radical viewpoint is that if everyone went into the Marine Corps at age eighteen it would be a better world all around - oohrah!!!

I'll go long with that. It just may help them make a better decision when voting, too.

eagle15 02-10-2013 05:38

Quote:

---------------------

What a freaking idiot, but I have to say there are thousands just like this guy walking around carrying in this country.

eagle15 02-10-2013 05:41

Quote:

---------------------

maybe they will rescind his CWP before he makes headlines again. Seems like Sanford had another case that stays in the news.

Bren 02-10-2013 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim S. (Post 19969262)

If everybody did, or could, go into the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps wouldn't be what it is - it might better the person, but it would destroy the military. Only a minority of Americans can qualify to serve in the military, even if they want to, and some say the standards still need to be higher.

IndyGunFreak 02-10-2013 06:26

Ok, the legalities of side... Did that dudes mugshot set off anyone else's "creep meter" ?

Sure did mine.

IGF

eagle15 02-10-2013 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak (Post 19970254)
Ok, the legalities of side... Did that dudes mugshot set off anyone else's "creep meter" ?

Sure did mine.

IGF

Yes, I have a digital creep meter and it pegged out to max with a loud beeping tone which I have never heard before

SouthernBoyVA 02-10-2013 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mortpes (Post 19966356)
It is not a good idea to expose your gun, play with your gun, talk about your gun, etc. in public.

In Public
Expose your gun: Not a problem in my state.

Play with your gun: Very bad idea. Could easily lead to a charge of brandishing.

Talk about your gun: Nothing wrong here. People do it all the time where I live.

Sam Spade 02-10-2013 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieG59 (Post 19964308)
Additionally, a dumb lack of judgement is not the same as a deliberate criminal act. Our prosecutors should be able to differentiate between criminal intentions and a mistake.

Here in gun-friendly AZ, that would be a reckless display of a firearm. Here's the definition of criminal negligence from the Model Penal Code:

"A person acts negligently with respect to a material element of an offense when he should be aware of a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the material element exists or will result from his conduct. The risk must be of such a nature and degree that the actor's failure to perceive it, considering the nature and purpose of his conduct and the circumstances known to him, involves a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the actor's situation."

There's a similar definition for criminal recklessness. So, yes, there actually is such a thing as "criminal stupidity".

SCmasterblaster 02-10-2013 13:18

What an ignorant idiot!