Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Why don't stores have snap caps behind the counter? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469951)

Aceman 02-06-2013 06:04

Why don't stores have snap caps behind the counter?

You know, one of the biggest things, number two right behind how it feels in my hand is how the trigger feels. So to find that out, I HAVE to actually pull the trigger!!!

Now, I know opinions on dry firing vary for "NEVER EVER EVER dry fire" to "If it can't handle dry fire how will it handle REAL firing?"

I have AK/HK - so I am closer to the whatever, this thing is indestructable school of thought.

But shop owners can go crazy about this. Well, if a dry fire or two is such a big panties in a wad deal - get some freaking snap caps and let me try that instead.

DO you here that dealers? I pull the trigger or I don't buy the gun. No trigger pull, no sale. And be a big baby about it and I might not even shop there.

And if the gun won't take three or six dry pulls a day, seriously, should it even be made? I know a hundred guns don't get dry fired each 100 times a day!!! Yeah - maybe the Glock 18 - so get a freakin mag with snap caps ready at the counter.

vafish 02-06-2013 06:36

I think it has more to do with keeping new guns looking new.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

CMG 02-06-2013 07:37

Ten years ago, HKs were notorious for failing due to dry-firing... they finally fixed that "little" problem.

If you want to test the trigger, simply place the thumb of your off hand between hammer and frame to cushion the fall.

WayneJessie 02-06-2013 08:08

In dealing with the public you would find yourself constantly having to buy more snap caps to replace the ones that kept mysteriously vanishing. You can't even keep an inkpen on you for long; you let a customer use it then the phone rings, the UPS man shows up, well you get the idea.

rgregoryb 02-06-2013 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceman (Post 19954737)

DO you here that dealers? I pull the trigger or I don't buy the gun. No trigger pull, no sale. And be a big baby about it and I might not even shop there.

your prunes not working? Wow, you are one special person. and it's hear, not here.

I work PT in a LGS (retired just making fun money) and we let people dry fire the guns (no to rimfire) once or twice. Tell some one they can dry fire a revolver and they usually do 6-12 pulls in one second.

Diesel McBadass 02-06-2013 08:55

most stores let me dry fire a centerfire gun.

G23c 02-06-2013 09:04

BYOsc

CajunBass 02-06-2013 09:06

Get yourself a half dozen different snap-caps in different calibers, put them in your pocket, and you're ready.

rgregoryb 02-06-2013 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunBass (Post 19955198)
Get yourself a half dozen different snap-caps in different calibers, put them in your pocket, and you're ready.

common sense, not seen much around here.....

nathanours 02-06-2013 09:37

My local store does have snap caps in all calibers you can test the triggers with. I've done it quite a few times.

NDCent 02-06-2013 09:40

IMO, if I had a gun shop I wouldn't want anyone bringing anything in there pockets that even resembles real or fake ammo and putting it in the firearms. Not even from behind the counter. People start sticking things in and out of orifices and the wrong thing might get stuck in the wrong hole. Ask to dry fire, if the answers no, you can always vote with your feet. Have you seen some of the people in gun stores?

WayneJessie 02-06-2013 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDCent (Post 19955306)
IMO, if I had a gun shop I wouldn't want anyone bringing anything in there pockets that even resembles real or fake ammo and putting it in the firearms. Not even from behind the counter. People start sticking things in and out of orifices and the wrong thing might get stuck in the wrong hole. Ask to dry fire, if the answers no, you can always vote with your feet. Have you seen some of the people in gun stores?

Yep. You can get into trouble real quick when customers are coming in and putting their stuff in your gun. How would that look on the 6:00 leftist media show?

Booker 02-06-2013 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMG (Post 19954940)
Ten years ago, HKs were notorious for failing due to dry-firing... they finally fixed that "little" problem.

If you want to test the trigger, simply place the thumb of your off hand between hammer and frame to cushion the fall.

Could ya show me how you do that with the firearm in your avatar picture? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

johnstein11 02-06-2013 13:27

I think most gun stores will let you dry fire as long as you show you are somewhat competent in handling the firearm, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and you ask nicely. Forget dry firing at academy though, trigger locks on everything. On the flip side, I don't want some yahoo waving a gun around pullining the trigger.

collim1 02-06-2013 17:52

All of my local privately owned shops either have snap caps or will allow you to dry fire the guns in the store.

Big chains are the ones I see that have trigger locks that can't be removed and wont allow dry firing or field stripping of the gun for inspection.

I wont buy a used gun if I can't cycle the action, field strip, and dry fire the gun.

rgregoryb 02-06-2013 17:56

why do you want to filed strip the gun? do you disassemble a car when you look at it?

oops I now see you said used gun...carry on

GLOCK19FTW 02-06-2013 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDCent (Post 19955306)

I dunno... picture this scenario:

You bring your own snap cap for the caliber you're wanting to buy in with you.

Once you choose your weapon, instead of putting it in yourself, hand it to the person behind the counter, and ask THEM to inspect it and then load it for you.

I doubt they would have a problem doing it that way.. or at least I wouldn't if I were the clerk.

WayneJessie 02-06-2013 20:13

One of the benifits of buying from a LGS is the relationship that you will have with the owner. He knows you so he'll trust you way more than someone who just rambles in off the street. Sometimes it's worth paying a little more for a gun to get to know the guy behind the counter.

CMG 02-07-2013 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booker (Post 19955804)
Could ya show me how you do that with the firearm in your avatar picture? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes.... for a nominal fee... :tongueout:

clinttho 02-07-2013 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgregoryb (Post 19955046)
your prunes not working? Wow, you are one special person. and it's hear, not here.

I work PT in a LGS (retired just making fun money) and we let people dry fire the guns (no to rimfire) once or twice. Tell some one they can dry fire a revolver and they usually do 6-12 pulls in one second.

I believe the last part.

Went looking for a airweight s&w last year, found the lgs had one so I asked to look at it. The kid behind the counter picked it up, spun the cylinder as hard as he could and tried to whip it shut. Of course he failed to shut it so he smacked the gun and cylinder into the palm of his off hand to close it. Then hands to me and says, "just don't pull the trigger cause that hurts it". SMH. I'm surprised he didn't spin the gun on his index finger.

I thought about buying one anyway, as j frame triggers IME tend to be pretty decent. Unfortunately the lgs employee told me that the display model was the last one they had. No way was I going to buy that one after seeing him handle it like a tard. Thankfully buds had some in stock one day and I got in my order before they disappeared...I doubt anyone at s&w cowboyed it like the gun store employee.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine