Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Gun in a Fire Safe? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469731)

DoubleWide 02-04-2013 22:29

Gun in a Fire Safe?

In case of a fire, would having a gun in a fire safe with important papers be a bad idea? Would the ammo cause a fire in the safe when the papers by themselves would normally be safe. I'm talking the normal Sentry type fire safes and lock boxes you'd get at Staples or Home Depot.

PBCounty 02-04-2013 22:38

I wouldn't. Even if the firearm didn't combust (remember, there is plutonium in the energy module) you still run the risk of the compressed tungsten-nytrilium melting from the ammo and boring a hole in the otherwise intact fire safe.

Geeorge 02-04-2013 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBCounty (Post 19950599)
I wouldn't. Even if the firearm didn't combust (remember, there is plutonium in the energy module) you still run the risk of the compressed tungsten-nytrilium melting from the ammo and boring a hole in the otherwise intact fire safe.

Not if you put a full sealed bottle of 7up in the safe to conteract the chemical imbalance:wavey:

PBCounty 02-04-2013 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geeorge (Post 19950622)
Not if you put a full sealed bottle of 7up in the safe to conteract the chemical imbalance:wavey:

Even then I wouldn't have more than seven rounds in the safe.

TBO 02-04-2013 22:54

Lay the safe horizontal on the floor so it's below the smoke line.

HKLovingIT 02-04-2013 22:55

OP,

There is only one way to be sure. You will need the following:

1. Sentry Fire Safe, matching the type you intend to use.
2. Some important papers. Using unprinted blank sheets of paper or unimportant papers might skew the results.
3. A firearm matching the type you intend to keep in the safe.
4. Said firearm loaded with the ammo you intend to keep in the firearm in the safe.
5. One gallon of gasoline.
6. One Zippo lighter.
7. Someone to hold your beer and watch while you... :rofl::tongueout:

I don't know man. I don't think it would. If M2 Carbine spots this he might have something firsthand. He went through a fire. I suppose the only way to truly be 100% sure is to keep it in something separate from your papers.

I would also add that scanning your papers and placing the files on an encrypted thumb drive that you store elsewhere is a good thing to do.

Geeorge 02-04-2013 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBCounty (Post 19950629)
Even then I wouldn't have more than seven rounds in the safe.

If you are really worried put in a tube of chapstick for extra added insurance:cool:

concretefuzzynuts 02-04-2013 22:55

Store the safe in your front yard. Free of the fire area.

PBCounty 02-04-2013 22:57

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...ozl6o1_500.png

Revvv 02-04-2013 23:15

I am a master locksmith and safe tech. A fire safe will melt gold in the right fire. I would never place a gun in a fire proof safe. Fire proof only means that the flame will not reach the interior, the heat will though.

Geeorge 02-05-2013 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revvv (Post 19950661)
I am a master locksmith and safe tech. A fire safe will melt gold in the right fire. I would never place a gun in a fire proof safe. Fire proof only means that the flame will not reach the interior, the heat will though.

It's still gotta be better than hiding it in your underwear drawer:supergrin:

BobbyS 02-05-2013 00:22

Quote:

At that point, I think, your troubles are going to be more than your gun in the safe. :supergrin:

EODLRD 02-05-2013 00:59

Quote:

That's enough for me! Only non-fireproof safes for me from now on. Can't believe how stupid I have been! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

IQof1 02-05-2013 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBCounty (Post 19950599)

Think China Syndrome....

IQof1 02-05-2013 04:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBO (Post 19950631)
Lay the safe horizontal on the floor so it's below the smoke line.

Stop, drop n roll baby!

IndyGunFreak 02-05-2013 05:15

Dang... guy asks a serious question, and got about 2 serious responses.

OP... Wish I had an answer, but I don't know.

Front Sight 02-05-2013 05:32

Contact your insurance company and talk to some fireman. You should get a straight answer from them.

DoubleWide 02-05-2013 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak (Post 19950949)
Dang... guy asks a serious question, and got about 2 serious responses.

OP... Wish I had an answer, but I don't know.

Thanks. I didn't expect that either. I just didn't know at what temp ammo would cook off compared to when a cheap fire safe would be ruined anyway.

Thanks to the people who gave me the serious answers too.

VC-Racing 02-05-2013 08:26

Check out Griffin or Griffith safes in chesterfield sc. He demos one of his fire safes. You may find it on youtube....

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

failsafe 02-05-2013 08:32

Pretty good ammo video, long but informative..
SAAMI - Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter

Bushflyr 02-05-2013 10:16

A gun in the safe is fine. By the time it gets hot enough to cook off any ammo your papers are going to be a charred mess anyway.

Radam3 02-05-2013 11:20

Like Revv said, the heat still gets in. That being said, if you put your glock, or any other "plastic" pistol in there with your important papers, I personally would worry more about the polymer melting than the bullets getting hot enough to do damage.

I personally don't know. I keep mine in two separate safes so I don't have to worry...

"I question things because I am human"

muscogee 02-05-2013 12:10

Quote:

Then what's the purpose of a fireproof safe?

Slug71 02-05-2013 12:58

Well heres my take,

A fire proof and/or water resistant safe is going to be better than a safe that doesn't do that.

I would get one of these for your documents etc..,

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/1...AFE_Fire_Chest

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/4/1160_Fire_Chest

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/1...Document_Chest

And put that inside a fireproof Safe with your guns or in a separate location.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. I will probably put it in the Safe though since it's small and can easily itself be stolen.

Caver 60 02-05-2013 13:00

I know next to nothing about this discussion.

But my limited understanding of things is that safes are rated for protection from a certain kind of fire for a limited amount of time. Like 1/2 hour at such and such a fire temperature outside, verse temperature inside the safe.

The idea is, the fire department gets the fire extinguished before the temperature inside the safe gets too hot. Otherwise you're out of luck.

But I may be wrong?