Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Stores Predicted to Close (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469105)

The Fed 02-02-2013 07:52

Stores Predicted to Close

These retailers most likely close some of their stores. I think the main problem with any brick and mortar store is they cannot stock everything in their stores. Here's the problem though - they often don't have warehouses either. So when you need something that isn't a fast-mover they need to order it right from the manufacturer. It takes much too long to get it that way.

You can buy almost anything now from the dreaded Amazon, and usually get the item in a reasonable amount of time, and much cheaper. I hate to order from them since I found out they're less than 2A-friendly (but they do allow the sale of plenty of accessories) but I have no choice. I live in a rural area, and I find that many times Wal-mart, Lowes and home Depot don't have what I want or need. And many times the quality just isn't there.

And I've found their customer service is outstanding. Only Wal-mart probably has a better return policy - 90 days.

okie 02-02-2013 07:59

Did you forget the list my friend:embarassed:

Fox 02-02-2013 08:02

There are other online retailers. I try not to buy from Amazon if possible.

PaulMason 02-02-2013 08:05

http://oconee.patch.com/articles/bes...in-2013-report

I think we are going back to the time of the general retailer - 5&10 stores - if not you better have a brand identity people think about when they want a specific product area like Home Depot.

When you factor in the cost of gas, price savings and free shipping, Amazon.com makes it difficult for others to compete in some areas. I usually wait until I need a few things and get them all at once on Amazon.

RenoF250 02-02-2013 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMason (Post 19940171)
http://oconee.patch.com/articles/bes...in-2013-report

I think we are going back to the time of the general retailer - 5&10 stores - if not you better have a brand identity people think about when they want a specific product area like Home Depot.

When you factor in the cost of gas, price savings and free shipping, Amazon.com makes it difficult for others to compete in some areas. I usually wait until I need a few things and get them all at once on Amazon.

I don't know how Gamestop and Radio Shack are still open. Who goes to RadioShack anymore? Gamestop is just games you could get a bunch of other places. I think the other should fair much better because they offer convenience or sell something you do not want to order - clothes, tools etc.

Huaco Kid 02-02-2013 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoF250 (Post 19940656)
Who goes to RadioShack anymore?.

Cell Phone Shack?

"You've got questions? We've got cell phones!"

A piece of my youth died when they stopped selling kits.

jknight8907 02-02-2013 10:40

Why do we even need brick-and-mortar stores for most types of items? Online stores simply do a better job: more selection, lower prices, customer reviews, etc.

John_NJ 02-02-2013 10:45

I still like big box stores for large items. I'm not going to get something that costs a fortune to ship back if there is a problem.

Slug71 02-02-2013 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox (Post 19940164)
There are other online retailers. I try not to buy from Amazon if possible.

This was posted on the Firearms Coalition Policy's FB page on Jan 13th. I made a thread about it them.

25% of all purchases made through http://shop42a.com/ will be donated towards the 2A. It's an Amazon affiliate owned by Calguns.

https://m.facebook.com/gunpolicy?id=...685850856&_rdr

Restless28 02-02-2013 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jknight8907 (Post 19940716)
Why do we even need brick-and-mortar stores for most types of items? Online stores simply do a better job: more selection, lower prices, customer reviews, etc.

Because small business is the driver of our economy. Most Americans work for small business.

njl 02-02-2013 11:14

Quote:

I don't know how Gamestop and Radio Shack are still open. Who goes to RadioShack anymore? Gamestop is just games you could get a bunch of other places. I think the other should fair much better because they offer convenience or sell something you do not want to order - clothes, tools etc.

Radio Shack, I'd guess, is kept in business by older people, and if that's the case, they'll probably cease to exist in another 20 years or less.

larry_minn 02-02-2013 11:15

Heck stores, businesses are closeing left and right. Larger concerns are "consolidating" I have bought a fair amount of stuff for pennies on buck. (some stuff I really don't need right now)
I went in on buying a building for business. While it was not "perfect" the location was fair. Now a much better building was just up for sale. (far as I know still available) Much better setup, Better location (for customers another 15 miles each way for workers) that we could NOT have afforded 5 yrs ago. (asking is just hint more then we paid)
I drive thru industrial areas I visit every yr or so. Now there is snow unplowed in yards, for sale/lease signs everywhere. I am half looking at one for self storage. With modern RFID cards, cameras, etc Could hire worker, do most stuff online, only have to staff it certain hrs.....

vikingsoftpaw 02-02-2013 11:35

Local hardware store were hit hard by the big box home improvement stores. In many cases thought, the mom and pop shops figured their customers would be happy with the 8:00 to 5:30 hours and paying higher prices. Guess again.

Some have stayed in business, finding a niche market, such as supplies for older homes. Guess where I found linseed oil, tongue oil and bronze wool to refinish a Trapdoor Springfield?

I once purchased a soldering iron at a Lowes only to find they didn't stock ant electrical solder. Go figure....

Quote:

Who goes to RadioShack anymore?

Strangely enough I found the silver solder there.

TunaFisherman 02-02-2013 11:51

People still like to shop where they can touch , lift , kick the tires. As our generation passes this to will pass and most sales will be online.

TSAX 02-02-2013 12:04

I think there should be a good balance of online and local shops. It is a pain in the butt to return or exchange online. Also for those of us who like to touch and get a sense of a product first hand, going to a store is much more feasible. I bought a BladeTech OWB holster for IDPA because a shop had a large selection and they let me put it on to try it out. Fit great, bought it.

It also depends on the products. Even though groceries can be bought online, I much prefer to pick them out myself. Ever order bread and then have them delivered only to find the guy that picked them out didnt notice they expire that same day :steamed:. From the ball and chain's stand point, she likes seeing items online but prefers buy in store to try them on. Seeing how something looks on her versus on an image online makes a huge difference sometimes.

The rental/lease costs for space some of these places like Radio Shack pays is high, adding other costs of doing business (labor, utilities, shipping, etc), they still seem to be doing ok. How long they will still be open :dunno:

:50cal:

janice6 02-02-2013 12:05

To compete with the Internet it may be necessary to convert from massive inventory, to touchy feely samples of products on the floor, and all purchases via mail from "drop shipped" sources around the country, the same way that Amazon does business except with sales staff.

For immediate Purchase and delivery, higher price.

Inventory is minimal, store size is minimal and offers customer contact also.

Not saying I'm in favor of this, just an option to be more competitive.

Detectorist 02-02-2013 12:57

If we value our local business then we should be paying sales tax on online sales.

HollowHead 02-02-2013 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jknight8907 (Post 19940716)
Why do we even need brick-and-mortar stores for most types of items?

Who's going to donate to local charity auctions?
Who's going to give your kid his first job?
Who's going to sponsor local little league teams?
And most importantly, who's going to collect local sales tax?

HH

Dennis in MA 02-02-2013 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detectorist (Post 19941179)
If we value our local business then we should be paying sales tax on online sales.

Or have the crazy notion of a smaller government.

jknight8907 02-02-2013 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19941237)
Who's going to donate to local charity auctions?
Who's going to give your kid his first job?
Who's going to sponsor local little league teams?
And most importantly, who's going to collect local sales tax?

HH

Businesses exist to fill the consumer's need. If they no longer are an effective option for the consumer, then they will either go out of business, or modify their business plan to be viable again. Local charities can be supported by individual donations. I would much rather choose who to donate to myself than over-pay to subsidize a business's charity choices.

Sent via teletype

HollowHead 02-02-2013 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis in MA (Post 19941309)
Or have the crazy notion of a smaller government.

Even the most efficient local government requires income. HH

jame 02-02-2013 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19941370)
Even the most efficient local government requires income. HH

It may soon come to pass that taxes are collected online, and passed on to the communities. I believe there are a few states with this in place already. I really can't argue for not doing it.

TSAX 02-02-2013 14:11

Quote:

In WA we have to pay sales tax on guns bought out of state and so does CA. For other goods I would say most people if they buy a camera for $99 and have to pay about $10 in tax vs $10 in shipping and insurance then they'd buy locally. If they bought an item in state and paid $1000 then $100 in tax but was $975 online plus $25 flat shipping then they'd buy online.

:50cal:

larry_minn 02-02-2013 14:46

Quote:

Interresting idea.....

How about buying local when you can? I must admit there are some local businesses I don't patronize. I might piss on building if it was on fire. Amazing thing is both places are next to each other. (third half mile away) Ripped me off. Which has cost them thousands a yr. :)
Sadly that entire town suffers. (I have no reason to go there, I drive 16 miles more)

Detectorist 02-02-2013 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry_minn (Post 19941540)
Interresting idea.....

How about buying local when you can? I must admit there are some local businesses I don't patronize. I might piss on building if it was on fire. Amazing thing is both places are next to each other. (third half mile away) Ripped me off. Which has cost them thousands a yr. :)
Sadly that entire town suffers. (I have no reason to go there, I drive 16 miles more)

I, personally, buy local when I can.

Shrinking the government is a nice idea. What services should we start cutting first?

The fact is that 97% of us do not even pay our own way regarding taxes.