Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tea Party Political Stances (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468448)

M&P15T 01-30-2013 08:14

Tea Party Political Stances

Where does the Tea Party stand on gay marriage and abortion?

fnfalman 01-30-2013 08:18

Probably varied. I thought that the Tea Party is more focused on the economy and the budget?

HerrGlock 01-30-2013 08:21

How much are each of those taxed?

I guess you could glean the stance based on the answer to the above question.

M&P15T 01-30-2013 08:24

I checked the Tea Party web-site, I didn't see anything specific regarding those two issues.

Thinking logically, if the Tea Party is all about the Constitution, Amendments and Bill of Rights, they should be pro-choice and pro gay marriage, based on seperation of Church & State.

Anyone got any other insights?

SC Tiger 01-30-2013 08:28

Probably varies by candidate, though the Dems would have you think they are all bible-thumping racists who hate abortion and gay marriage.

Someone should really let Tim Scott know that a lot of his supporters hate black people. It would probably surprise him.

Dennis in MA 01-30-2013 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19929029)
I checked the Tea Party web-site, I didn't see anything specific regarding those two issues.

Thinking logically, if the Tea Party is all about the Constitution, Amendments and Bill of Rights, they should be pro-choice and pro gay marriage, based on seperation of Church & State.

Well, that's one way to interpret it. :rofl:

That was like watching that guy on South Beach Classics buy cowrz. (cars to the rest of us - cowrz??? It's a CAR, dude.)

(Guy is asking $4K for a car that baldy wants to buy.)
"I'm at $3,000. You're going to bottom out at $3,500. I'm trying to decide if I want to go that high or stick with $3K. How about we meet in the middle at $3,250."

CLASSIC! Without the seller saying a word, he lopped off $500 and then stuck him for $250 more!

ChuteTheMall 01-30-2013 08:32

The TEA Party means Taxed Enough Already.

They have done a great job of not being distracted by other social issues, including gun control, global warming, and jihad.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of TEA Party activists hold conservative views on these other vital issues, but there is no need to be distracted.

The media would love to misidentify the TEA Party as a militia of racist gun nuts and tinfoil nutjobs; don't feed those trolls. It's the economy.

Gonetodarkside 01-30-2013 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19929029)

Being pro constitution does not mean you are pro gay marriage or pro choice, it means you feel it is not the federal governments business to legislate such matters.

for example, I am a libertarian that chooses to live a conservative lifestyle. I feel that gay marriage is a sin, that being said I do not want the federal government to legislate morality.

Personally I consider abortion murder and that makes it a much different issue than gay marriage.

M&P15T 01-30-2013 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonetodarkside (Post 19929059)
Being pro constitution does not mean you are pro gay marriage or pro choice, it means you feel it is not the federal governments business to legislate such matters.

for example, I am a libertarian that chooses to live a conservative lifestyle. I feel that gay marriage is a sin, that being said I do not want the federal government to legislate morality.

Personally I consider abortion murder and that makes it a much different issue than gay marriage.

Yes, your words are a better description of what I think the Tea Party should be about. Not so much "Pro", as the Government needs to keep their fat noses out of it.

ChuteTheMall 01-30-2013 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis in MA (Post 19929044)

That was like watching that guy on South Beach Classics buy cowrz. (cars to the rest of us - cowrz??? It's a CAR, dude.)

I've heard youse guys tawking about pawking the caw over on the fawr side of the yawd.
:animlol:

Jeffrey Lebowski 01-30-2013 08:51

Quote:

This.

Caveat: I've never partied with the TEA party crowd (I have a job), but in general it makes me cringe when we ask about whether or not gay marriage should be allowed.

How about we re-frame the question around why the government is involved in ANY of our marriages? [edit: I know the answer why...] It should be between you, your [potential] spouse, and your God - if applicable.

WarCry 01-30-2013 09:06

Mr. Lebowski above hit it on the head when he properly identified them as the TEA Party. The group was founded around one concept - "Taxed Enough Already". It's an acronym that defines their overall goals.

Arguably, as others have stated, the TEA Party may have both social conservatives and social liberals, because it's fiscal conservatism that is their center piece. Whether or not that's the reality would likely depend on your local group, as there's not really a true national TEA Party.

ChuteTheMall 01-30-2013 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19929000)

Where does the NRA stand on gay marriage and abortion?

Hard_Core 01-30-2013 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall (Post 19929057)

They have done a great job of not being distracted by other social issues, including gun control, global warming, and jihad.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of TEA Party activists hold conservative views on these other vital issues, but there is no need to be distracted.

The media would love to misidentify the TEA Party as a militia of racist gun nuts and tinfoil nutjobs; don't feed those trolls. It's the economy.

The Tea Party in General is Pro 2A and one of the Social issues that it is involved in. The Tea Party bases its issues on the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, so some social issues it will touch.

As for Pro Gay and Pro Abortion, there are basically two sides of the Tea Party, the Conservative Side( bachmann, palin, etc.., and the Libertarian Side (Paul, Amash, etc..) The Conservative side more against the Gay Marriage and Abortion, and the Libertarian side being more for it (or basing it up to the states to decide.

The Conservative Side wants to regulate what the FED Gov can do, while the Libertarian side wants to give the states almost all control over the issues.

PAGunner 01-30-2013 11:27

If it doesn't pick my pocket, neither issue is any of my business.

sugarcreek 01-30-2013 11:31

Quote:

The Tea Party is all about less, more appropriate government.
Constitutional correctness. Less spending, CERTAINLY on the federal level. Thirdly less taxes again with emphasis on FEDERAL.
It is a definite reaction to BIG GOVERNMENT generally.

For a GREAT many of us certainly we are pro choice and pro gay marriage, or not. Got it?

SC Tiger 01-30-2013 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall (Post 19929604)

The NRA has been hammered on here for not standing up for non-2A issues. I can't remember the specific thing but it was viewed as a first ammendment issue.

WarCry 01-30-2013 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Tiger (Post 19929721)
The NRA has been hammered on here for not standing up for non-2A issues. I can't remember the specific thing but it was viewed as a first ammendment issue.

So, then, in your opinion (and only asking for your opinion, not a fight), should the TEA Party function more like an advocacy group like the NRA, or should they continue as a political movement/splinter group as they have for the last few years.

I don't think either is a wrong answer, BTW. I just think the TEA Party folks need to figure out exactly how they want to move forward so they don't stagnate.

Glock20 10mm 01-30-2013 12:49

Quote:

Most of the ones I have engaged in conversation are neutral and believe those to be of little importance compared to the bigger problems we face as a nation.

Dennis in MA 01-30-2013 12:58

Quote:

Depends. Are the ones-to-be-married and the unborn armed?

AirCav 01-30-2013 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall (Post 19929057)

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarCry (Post 19929190)
Mr. Lebowski above hit it on the head when he properly identified them as the TEA Party. The group was founded around one concept - "Taxed Enough Already". It's an acronym that defines their overall goals.

Arguably, as others have stated, the TEA Party may have both social conservatives and social liberals, because it's fiscal conservatism that is their center piece. Whether or not that's the reality would likely depend on your local group, as there's not really a true national TEA Party.

Quote:

Agreed.

Taxed
Enough
Already

The media and others with similar agendas have been somewhat successful in muddying that message with all of the usual negative conservative stereotypes. Some people who identify with the TEA Party have muddied it themselves by not fully understanding the focus of the movement. The very loosely organized and decentralized structure also makes it difficult to manage the message. It is not intended to be just another conservative group.

N4LP 01-30-2013 13:18

There are at least two ways you can answer this question:

Realistically
Ideologically

And then you can spend hours arguing over the two answers.

dwhite53 01-30-2013 17:50

Quote:

Abortion is hardly a new thing. Midwives knew centuries ago that certain combinations of herbs could induce labor.

Although I don't like the idea of abortion it's not the imperial governments job to either allow or deny it. It's a states rights issue at most.

All the Best,
D. White

stevelyn 01-30-2013 20:38

Quote:

If they have any sense, they'll stay out of social and personal issues that don't affect them and focus on the political ones that do.

HarlDane 01-30-2013 20:53

Bachmann is chair of the Tea Party Caucus and she seems to like gays enough to marry one.