Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Glocking (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New G19-4; It Works!! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467291)

ninjag19 01-25-2013 11:43

New G19-4; It Works!!

After reading many of the threads on the gen 4, I was a little nervous prior to going to the range today. This is my first Glock although I am a long time shooter. Of course I had to take it apart and mess with it right out of the box yesterday! lol I tend to over-oil but held back after seeing that and other suggestions. Already made the pre-emptive call to glock to get the 043 RSA; the 042 is in place, with the 336 ejector. I am happy to report that I had not one problem after firing 50 rounds of Magtech, and 50 rounds of Herters (both 115gr). The magazine required a surprising amount of force to load, and I don't think I will be fully loading 15 rounds anytime soon.
All comments are welcome regarding upgrades to the extractor, ejector, etc., but so far so good!
Glad to be part of this great forum!

G26S239 01-25-2013 12:29

Congrats. The 19 is a fine little 9mm.

jay1975 01-25-2013 12:33

For every person who has an issue with their Glock, there are at least 10 who didn't. No need to be nervous about buying one as the odds are in your favor.

Paul53 01-25-2013 16:50

Congrats. 19 gen 4 is my every day carry. Worst it's done to me is every few mags it'll eject a casing onto my right (dominant) forearm. Between 2 and 3000 rounds through it.

Can'tGetRight 01-25-2013 16:55

Man I read all the complaints but somehow I purchased my 19Gen4 anyway. I don't worry about it. Any time somebody has a problem with a gun they run to the internet and post it but you don't know the shooter, how they maintain the pistol, what kind of ammunition, how carefully they reload, do they limp-wrist the pistol, etc. I took my new Glock 19Gen4 out and all it did was shoot, shoot, shoot, no brass in my face, no failure of anything. Same for the 17Gen4, the 21Gen4, and the new 20 SF. Glad it works for you!

4095fanatic 01-25-2013 16:57

I never had loading problems like that, but try an UPLULA. Should make it easier.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

mojohanna 01-25-2013 17:00

I use the mag loader that came with my 19. Once you get the rhythm, it works fine. No issues getting the full 15 in all three mags.

Hawkeye16 01-25-2013 17:09

I just use my fingers. The last round is difficult sometimes but I've gotten used to it and can load a mag pretty quick now. 19 gen4 is my edc as well.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

ninjag19 01-26-2013 12:02

Hey guys, thanks for the comments! I feel pretty good about the purchase after shooting a couple of boxes of ammo. The good thing about the few negative comments, is that it gives me a great excuse to tinker! lol I have already had it completely apart; fairly easy! My other frequent shooter is a Walther P 38 (WW2 model). Beautiful gun but obviously quite a bit different than the Glock.
The feel of the G 19 is nice; light, reasonable trigger pull, and not much felt recoil to speak of! More "testing" coming soon.

SJ 40 01-26-2013 12:23

Good news indeed, Congrats. SJ 40

tacticalG23 01-26-2013 13:27

Congrats on the new 19! Fantastic that it is trouble free for you aswell.
The mentioning of not being able to load all 15 in the mag due to spring tension has sparked a wild thought.

I don't know if it ever came up in any of the BTF threads as I tend not to read them... is it theoretically possible the magazine spring be responsible in BTF?
As in the slide cycles back and the next round comes up with such force that it knocks the ejecting case upwards and straight back or to the left and such? I know success has been changing the extractor but I never understood how that could be responsible for leftward ejection...

F106 Fan 01-26-2013 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacticalG23 (Post 19913918)
I don't know if it ever came up in any of the BTF threads as I tend not to read them... is it theoretically possible the magazine spring be responsible in BTF?
As in the slide cycles back and the next round comes up with such force that it knocks the ejecting case upwards and straight back or to the left and such? I know success has been changing the extractor but I never understood how that could be responsible for leftward ejection...

Of course it is part of the equation! It is entirely possible that the incoming round pushes the extracting case off of the extractor. Still, slow motion video shows the case bouncing around inside the slide and, specifically, bouncing off the lower edge of the ejection port. Back in the bad old days of 1911 Government Models, we had the same problem. So, we cut the ejection port down until the problem went away. That's pretty much standard these days.

Note also the difference in the breech face between a Glock and a 1911. The 1911 is machined in such a way that the base can not ride up.

Glock's decision to use a .40 S&W recoil spring in a 9mm gun almost guarantees the slide is moving slow. For wimpy ammo, it also prevents the slide from moving all the way to the rear and this doesn't improve feeding. Sure, they have changed the spring several times and I suppose it helped but combined with the crappy MIM extractor, there are still problems on some percentage of guns.

The changes in the manufacturing of late model Gen 3s and Gen 4s manifestly displays the difference between change and improvement. Whatever manufacturing cost savings Glock realized, it can't possibly cover the cost of repairs and loss of reputation.

FWIW, the problems on the 9mm guns usually shows up somewhere around 800-1000 rounds. It is not unusual for the guns to work fine for a few hundred rounds. For most SD customers, this is a lifetime of shooting! For others, it's a pleasant day or two at the range.

Richard

bac1023 01-26-2013 14:13

Congrats on the G19.

Foxtrotx1 01-26-2013 14:20

Holy ****! congrats on not getting brass to the face! nah, but seriously, nice buy.

Bruce M 01-26-2013 17:21

Good to hear your G19 is functioning well.

pewpewpew 01-26-2013 20:18

Keep the oil away from your Glock! It doesn't need it. If you want to put a tiny drop on the rails, a tiny drop on the front of the barrel and inside the top front of the shroud, that is IT. You can enjoy cleaning your gun dry:

ninjag19 01-27-2013 09:14

Thanks for the tips! I need to put the oil squirt gun away! lol How about that Apex ejector, seems impressive enough to put on the wish list?

kodiakpb 01-27-2013 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjag19 (Post 19913660)
The good thing about the few negative comments, is that it gives me a great excuse to tinker!

I would suggest not "tinkering" with something that works. As you read more threads in this forum, you will find a lot of issues related to user "improvements". Leave it alone and shoot the snot out of it. If you want to tinker with something...tinker with becoming more proficient with the weapon. Everyone always has room to grow in that department.

DEADEYEGUY 01-27-2013 10:55

I'm glad your gun is working and you like it. I also have a new US Glock that is at about 375 rounds that's been good to go. But the multiple replacement guns I've had one was good for 800 rounds before problems. Another was good for 2000. Three weren't right out of the box (two GEN3's, one GEN4). I am convinced that the two that went for several hundred or a couple of thousand rounds the MIM extractors were soft.
And no I'm not saying MIM parts are all bad. In fact for years before I retired we made engine parts with an MIM type process. If held to tight quality requirements and done properly they are usually fine. I wonder now sinc my new gun is back to a non-dipped design if their is a flaw in the dipped extractor design. Mines been fine also but I have the APEX set up just in case. But I don't think it's just one problem that's causing the issues.
As I and others have tried different after market parts amd fixes to get the guns to run right. Some fun after you change this part or that part. Some it dosn't matter what you do. Or what Glock does for that matter. My last GEN4 problems showed up right away. They simply said they couldn't fix it. Some of the guns they tried simply completely rebuilding the gun. Worked awhile.
Kind of surprised your gun is a GEN4 and still has the 336 ejector. For quite awhile now the GEN4's have come with the 30274's. The GEN3's usually the 336. But as others have said if it's shooting fine right now I don't know if I'd mess with it. As I said earlier changing different parts has got some guns to work and others not. For right now I would just shoot the snot out of it as others have said. If it goes sour call Glock.

F106 Fan 01-27-2013 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by kodiakpb (Post 19917026)
I would suggest not "tinkering" with something that works. As you read more threads in this forum, you will find a lot of issues related to user "improvements". Leave it alone and shoot the snot out of it. If you want to tinker with something...tinker with becoming more proficient with the weapon. Everyone always has room to grow in that department.

+1 ^^^^

Just go shoot the thing and be happy!

Richard