Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   VW anti-gun (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466275)

camelotkid 01-20-2013 19:15

VW anti-gun

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/ja...urt-vw-chances

HollowHead 01-20-2013 19:33

VW's property, VW's rules. HH

camelotkid 01-20-2013 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19891064)
VW's property, VW's rules. HH

Not if the state of TN has anything to say about it

mtpisgah 01-20-2013 19:39

BMW in Spartanburg, SC has a no gun policy. If you don't like it, don't work for them. It would be no different than me saying to not bring a gun into my house when you come over for dinner. Not that I would do that though. Unless we were drinking, which is how it usually works out.

BMW also has a seatbelt policy while on the property, wear it or you can get fired.

HollowHead 01-20-2013 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by camelotkid (Post 19891079)
Not if the state of TN has anything to say about it

More government. Wonderful... HH

Atlas 01-20-2013 19:44

Both the BMW facility in Carolina and the Mercedes facility in Alabama are foreign trade zones..

I would be surprised if the VW facility were not also.

Don't know specifically how that may affect firearms laws, but it governs many other things.

camelotkid 01-20-2013 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19891096)
More government. Wonderful... HH

The states want to give gun owners more rights and that's a bad thing? Ok.... Whatever you say

HollowHead 01-20-2013 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by camelotkid (Post 19891124)
The states want to give gun owners more rights and that's a bad thing? Ok.... Whatever you say

The state has no business deciding what rights you have in my house. HH

Tiro Fijo 01-20-2013 19:52

Who cares about the Krauts offshoring their jobs to the USA because they don't want to pay their own people. If they think that little of their own countrymen than they will think less of Tennesseans. Besides, I thought we whupped their butts in two World Wars. They should be working for us. :wavey:

el_jewapo 01-20-2013 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by camelotkid (Post 19891124)

The government telling a business or private citizen they have to allow guns on their property is every bit as bad as them telling people they can't have them.

dac1204 01-20-2013 20:18

Simple solution is for the state to buy the property next to VW and build a parking lot on it. Then they could charge $1 a day for parking or some such. That way the employees could park there and not at VWs' plant and could still carry.

They may have a longer walk.

Atlas 01-20-2013 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo (Post 19891159)
Who cares about the Krauts offshoring their jobs to the USA because they don't want to pay their own people. If they think that little of their own countrymen than they will think less of Tennesseans. ...

"the Krauts" build their cars all over the planet.
As well as their heavy trucks and precision equipment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo (Post 19891159)
.. Besides, I thought we whupped their butts in two World Wars. They should be working for us.

If we were building BMWs, Mercedes, and Volkswagens they might be working for us...

But we don't.

Spiffums 01-20-2013 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19891139)

Unless your a protected class.......

HollowHead 01-20-2013 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffums (Post 19891346)
Unless your a protected class.......

"No Guns Allowed" is hardly on the same plane as "No Jews Allowed." Unless I'm reading the story incorrectly, they are not banning gun owners or the employment of them. HH

Restless28 01-20-2013 21:32

In this economy, I'm sure the employees will follow the rules of VW.

Ideals don't pay the bills.

HollowHead 01-20-2013 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless28 (Post 19891555)

Ideals don't pay the bills.

Nobody's forcing you to wear the chicken costume. HH

Ragnar 01-20-2013 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlas (Post 19891121)
Both the BMW facility in Carolina and the Mercedes facility in Alabama are foreign trade zones..

Cite?

dbcooper 01-20-2013 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19891139)

But it's not in your house, or thiers, it's in the car parked outside.

The question is if you have one in the car how would they know, like the guy stated in the article:

"Because I will guarantee you there are gun carry permit holders that have a firearm in their car in their parking lot as we're sitting here speaking," he said. "And all we're doing is making those people legal."

We did it here in Florida a couple of years ago, so far it hasn't led to any problems.

This whole thing started when anti gun groups started to lobby corps. to enact these rules and came to a head when one company used dogs to search cars:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-113443.html

VALLIANT, Okla. -- In late summer of 2002, Steve Bastible put three bullets into a dying cow at his ranch, threw the emptied rifle behind the seat of his pickup and forgot about it.

A few weeks later, the rifle cost him his job of 23 years.

That Oct. 1, in a surprise search, Weyerhaeuser Co. sent gun-sniffing dogs into the parking lot of its paper mill here. Mr. Bastible and 11 other workers were fired after guns were found in their vehicles. The timber company said the weapons violated a new company policy that extended a longtime workplace gun ban to the parking area. The fired workers said they knew nothing of the new rule.

The whole gun flap actually started with an apparent drug overdose at the plant. Plant manager Randy Nebel hired a security company to bring in four dogs to search for drugs and guns in the parking lot. The dogs didn't find any drugs but zeroed in on several vehicles containing firearms.

The company then ordered the workers to open the suspect cars so that they could be hand-searched. A dozen workers, four Weyerhaeuser employees and eight who worked for subcontractors, were suspended for having rifles, shotguns or handguns. A couple of days later, they were fired as part of Weyerhaeuser and its subcontractors' zero-tolerance policy for major safety violations, the companies say.

RGbiker 01-20-2013 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbcooper (Post 19891638)
But it's not in your house, or thiers, it's in the car parked outside.

The question is if you have one in the car how would they know, like the guy stated in the article:

"Because I will guarantee you there are gun carry permit holders that have a firearm in their car in their parking lot as we're sitting here speaking," he said. "And all we're doing is making those people legal."

We did it here in Florida a couple of years ago, so far it hasn't led to any problems.

This whole thing started when anti gun groups started to lobby corps. to enact these rules and came to a head when one company used dogs to search cars:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-113443.html

VALLIANT, Okla. -- In late summer of 2002, Steve Bastible put three bullets into a dying cow at his ranch, threw the emptied rifle behind the seat of his pickup and forgot about it.

A few weeks later, the rifle cost him his job of 23 years.

That Oct. 1, in a surprise search, Weyerhaeuser Co. sent gun-sniffing dogs into the parking lot of its paper mill here. Mr. Bastible and 11 other workers were fired after guns were found in their vehicles. The timber company said the weapons violated a new company policy that extended a longtime workplace gun ban to the parking area. The fired workers said they knew nothing of the new rule.

The whole gun flap actually started with an apparent drug overdose at the plant. Plant manager Randy Nebel hired a security company to bring in four dogs to search for drugs and guns in the parking lot. The dogs didn't find any drugs but zeroed in on several vehicles containing firearms.

The company then ordered the workers to open the suspect cars so that they could be hand-searched. A dozen workers, four Weyerhaeuser employees and eight who worked for subcontractors, were suspended for having rifles, shotguns or handguns. A couple of days later, they were fired as part of Weyerhaeuser and its subcontractors' zero-tolerance policy for major safety violations, the companies say.

I have close to 30 years experience in the Military and LEO fields, but someone has to clue me in how a GUN sniffing dog...........can sniff out a gun?

dbcooper 01-20-2013 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGbiker (Post 19891683)
I have close to 30 years experience in the Military and LEO fields, but someone has to clue me in how a GUN sniffing dog...........can sniff out a gun?

http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...sniffing-K-9s/

The gun dog is trained to focus on odor that relates exclusively to the oils, powder and residue commonly associated with a dischared firearm and not human odor.
Another benefit to a gun canine under the aforementioned circumstances is that the dog handler does not have to worry about human scent contamination of the area to be searched. Every handler, at some point in time, has come across a scene where their colleagues have inadvertently trampled through the area to be searched. With the use a gun dog, those issues are not a concern for the gun dog handler that is trying to locate a firearm, because the dog focuses only on the odor associated with guns and ammunition.

RGbiker 01-20-2013 22:24

Above post is interesting... We learn something new each day.

If a gun sniffing dog ever came near me, it would do back flips...:supergrin:

dbcooper 01-20-2013 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGbiker (Post 19891717)
Above post is interesting... We learn something new each day.

If a gun sniffing dog ever came near me, it would do back flips...:supergrin:

Same here, or it would od. My favorite cologne is number 9, and it sure aint channel.

oldman11 01-20-2013 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbcooper (Post 19891735)
Same here, or it would od. My favorite cologne is number 9, and it sure aint channel.

Does Chanel make a number 45? :rofl:

cyphertext 01-21-2013 00:59

It is none of my employers business what is inside my car. In the state of Texas, the vehicle is now seen as an extension of your home and you can carry in the vehicle without a permit. Since the vehicle is now an extension of my property, seems to be a major win for property owners rights.

davew83 01-21-2013 02:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnar (Post 19891601)
Cite?

I live 10 minutes from the BMW plant and my brother used to work for them. Or do I need to post a picture of the Foreign Trade Zone signs for you to be happy?

http://ia.ita.doc.gov/ftzpage/letter...uth%20carolina