Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The 10 Ring (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   hot ammo question (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466152)

deadandgone 01-20-2013 10:37

hot ammo question

First, apologies as this relates to a 40 cal xdm. Why I am asking here is that it relates to some ammo Mike Willard made up for me before he passed, a scalding hot 165 gd at 1325 fps. What happened to me yesterday I have never seen or heard of before, so since this forum deals with issues of high speed and high pressure and all the surrounding issues, I come here. I have a g29 and am used to firing hot loads...but anyway...

Here's what happened. I was just going to shoot my xdm because I was bored, and it had been a while since I shot it, so I carried it outside with a few of Mike's rounds in it. Full mag.

I fired the first round, and enjoyed the feel. I looked down on the ground, and an unfired shell was on the ground. I shot a few more rounds, and went inside. The uncertainty of what just happened made me pause and think. So I loaded up the gun just like it was before, went back outside, and the exact same thing happened. I think the shell jumped out of the gun somehow....I don't know

Now I'm really perplexed. I fill the mag up with some 180 grain federal hst.....go back out, and viola....no problem, no issue.

So....I'm completely lost and perplexed. I think the issue was with the ammo...I do have a stronger recoil spring.

The xdm appears fine, fires normal ammo ok. Next weekend I'm going to shoot it more to try to figure out what is going on.

Any ideas?

deadandgone 01-24-2013 14:29

figured it out

Shot a little today...shot some regular 40 cal hst....no problem, smooth as silk.

Put a few rounds of hot Swamp Fox in....same as before except this time instead of the live round flying out of the gun intact....a stove pipe occurred, with a live round.

I was almost happy to see this, but I had to test some more.

Put regular ammo back in, smooth as silk. Swamp Fox...stove pipe with a live round.

If Mike were still alive we'd be in touch. But....I'll just use my regular ammo in the 40 and be happy. The Swamp Fox 40 ammo is hereby quarantined. I have no desire to mess with it anymore. As of this moment, it ain't broke.

Opie 1 Kenopie 01-24-2013 20:17

Since you've got no replies so far, I'll take a crack at it. It appears pretty clear from the evidence you've given that the hot stuff is recoiling to the extent that a live round is jumping off of your magazine behind the chambered round and almost always making it out of the slide before it closes. If you hadn't have caught that live round stovepiped, I woulda had a hard time believing it could happen. It just seems weird that there is enough time for two rounds to get out in one slide cycle. You might want to check your magazine's feed lips. If they are worn or broken you could get a jumper during stout recoil. Good call on retiring that ammo for any serious use. I suppose you could shoot it recreationally until its gone, but I'm glad you never had to rely on it for SD.