Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What caliber is this? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464933)

fendertele87 01-15-2013 19:51

What caliber is this?
 
3 Attachment(s)
It looks like it sizes up with my 7.62x39 but it says that no where on the round? The box says it is but not the bullet. Just want to make sure before I shoot it.Attachment 230445Attachment 230446Attachment 230447


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

dkf 01-15-2013 20:02

Not all brass had the caliber headstamped on it years ago. Especially true with some of the foreign ammo and milsurp. If you don't trust it take some measurements with a caliper comparing it to a known 7.62x39 round.

fendertele87 01-15-2013 20:07

Just sizing it up.. It looks a little taller by a hair and maybe just short of a hair wide.. I'll measure it for sure tho


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

fendertele87 01-15-2013 21:28

After doing a bit more research I hound this on another blog...

http://www.arsenal-bg.com/defense_police/7,62x39.htm


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Merkavaboy 01-16-2013 05:48

Even from the poor picture of the cartridge (not "bullet") I can tell you that it's 7.62x39mm.

SCmasterblaster 01-16-2013 09:07

7.62x39 for sure.

CitizenOfDreams 01-16-2013 09:12

Commies did not have to mark their brass back then. One party, one leader, one caliber.

vafish 01-16-2013 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams (Post 19871031)
Commies did not have to mark their brass back then. One party, one leader, one caliber.

7.62x25, 7.62x39, 7.62x54.

One caliber 3 different case lengths.

Then they get the 9x18 and 5.45x39.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

banger 01-16-2013 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams (Post 19871031)
Commies did not have to mark their brass back then. One party, one leader, one caliber.


Ehhhh, You hopefully realize that most U.S. military ammo is marked only with the manufacturer and the year of production.

IE. WCC 03, RA 94 etc.

In fact, most often caliber is referred to by its identifying number, M-193, M-855, M-80.

Caliber markings on brass are for the amatures not the professionals.

EDIT: To check the accuracy of my recollection, I just retrieved a box of 30-06.

The box is marked as follows

20 cartridges
BALL
caliber .30 M2
Lot LC 39131
Lake City Arsenal

casings are marked. LC 52

The caliber of .30-06 NEVER appears on the packaging or the cartridge.

ca survivor 01-16-2013 19:19

7.62x39

FLIPPER 348 01-16-2013 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merkavaboy (Post 19870474)
Even from the poor picture of the cartridge (not "bullet") I can tell you that it's 7.62x39mm.



I could tell because it is written on the box!

marvin 01-16-2013 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 (Post 19874243)
I could tell because it is written on the box!

+1

when in doubt read the box

Merkavaboy 01-17-2013 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy
Even from the poor picture of the cartridge (not "bullet") I can tell you that it's 7.62x39mm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 (Post 19874243)
I could tell because it is written on the box!

Good for you! :thumbsup:

Good thing that the OP posted a pic of the box so it made it easier for you to identify the writing on the box.

SCmasterblaster 01-17-2013 10:34

There must be over a hundred world-wide makers of 7.62x39 mm.

Haldor 01-17-2013 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by fendertele87 (Post 19868943)
It looks like it sizes up with my 7.62x39 but it says that no where on the round? The box says it is but not the bullet. Just want to make sure before I shoot it.Attachment 230445Attachment 230446Attachment 230447


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Sure looks like 7.62 x 39 mm. Do you have any unopened boxes? If so, then verify they have the same ammo inside them.

Also does the ammo chamber readily?

Merkavaboy 01-17-2013 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster (Post 19876084)
There must be over a hundred world-wide makers of 7.62x39 mm.

Yes. The 7.62x39mm caliber is to the rifle world what the 9x19mm caliber is to the handgun/SMG world; the most prevelant calibers produced today.

fendertele87 01-19-2013 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haldor (Post 19877711)
Sure looks like 7.62 x 39 mm. Do you have any unopened boxes? If so, then verify they have the same ammo inside them.

Also does the ammo chamber readily?

No more boxes. Just had the one box and then a SKS mag that had the same ammo in it.

I got all this stuff from my mother-in-law when my wife's dad left.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

zaphar 01-26-2013 02:27

Factory 10 in Bulgaria, year of production 1984. Most military ammo I've seen is like this. Commercial production ammo puts the caliber on it, probably for liability reasons.

esminbritt 02-04-2013 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafish (Post 19872456)
7.62x25, 7.62x39, 7.62x54.

One caliber 3 different case lengths.

Then they get the 9x18 and 5.45x39.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

Don't forget about the formidable 7.62 X 51. The .308 is a great mid-weight cartridge. I love it in both of my rifles.

FLIPPER 348 02-05-2013 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merkavaboy (Post 19875123)
Quote:


Good thing that the OP posted a pic of the box so it made it easier for you to identify the writing on the box.



....one wonders why the OP did not read the box


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:25.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.