Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Rhode Island: Providence Passes Resolution Banning Semi-Automatic Guns (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464078)

Fox 01-12-2013 13:52

Rhode Island: Providence Passes Resolution Banning Semi-Automatic Guns

On Thursday night, the Providence City Council passed a resolution banning all semi-automatic firearms in the city. This resolution passed with 8 votes, 6 opposed and 1 abstention. This sweeping gun ban proclamation is an all-out assault on the Second Amendment rights of Rhode Islanders.

Last session at the Statehouse, the NRA-ILA worked to defeat legislation that attacked the state firearms preemption statute. Rhode Island has a firearms preemption law that prohibits local governments from adopting gun control laws which are more restrictive than state law. Firearms preemption statutes are designed to prevent a patchwork of confusing, and sometimes conflicting, laws as residents travel from city to city.

In 2012, Senate Bill 2573 by Senator Harold Metts (D-6), now-former Senator Rhoda Perry (D-3), Senator Juan Pichardo (D-2), Senator Paul Jabour (D-5) and Senator Elizabeth Crowley (D-16) would have given control to regulate firearms and ammunition to local jurisdictions, and it would have included ownership, possession, transportation, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase delay, licensing, registration and taxation. That dangerous legislation was defeated in a Senate committee, but it will be re-introduced again THIS SESSION.

The Rhode Island General Assembly convened for its 2013 session this week. The NRA-ILA is working to defeat any attacks on firearms preemption prohibiting anti-gun municipalities from enacting gun bans like the one Providence has just adopted. Anti-gun forces are moving quickly and your immediate action on this matter is urgently needed. Gun owners should contact their state Senator and Representative IMMEDIATELY and respectfully urge lawmakers to oppose these harmful bans which target law-abiding citizens and do nothing to improve public safety or target criminals.

MORE

elsolo 01-12-2013 14:00

Sounds like the city passed a law that the courts will toss out.

PocketProtector 01-12-2013 14:00

Add it to the list of places I will NEVER visit or spend my money again.

frank4570 01-12-2013 14:02

It's hard to believe they can get away with this.

tarpleyg 01-12-2013 14:05

So now, not only have they broken state law, they have also snubbed their noses at the US constitution. What a bunch of idiots.

G36's Rule 01-12-2013 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank4570 (Post 19853992)
It's hard to believe they can get away with this.

Article was pretty clear, they can't get away with this. Preemption will not allow it.

Fox 01-12-2013 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarpleyg (Post 19854005)
So now, not only have they broken state law, they have also snubbed their noses at the US constitution. What a bunch of idiots.

They break the laws that they expect others to obey. The question is why do they get away with it?

Little Joe 01-12-2013 14:32

Would it be wrong to say I hope they all get mugged and their homes invaded before the month is out, for those who voted for it?

scrider 01-12-2013 14:42

So this new law suggests that anybody that legally possessed a semi-automatic firearm in Providence is now breaking the law?

frank4570 01-12-2013 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Joe (Post 19854123)
Would it be wrong to say I hope they all get mugged and their homes invaded before the month is out, for those who voted for it?

Yes, it would be wrong. But that doesn't mean you can't say it.

After all, they've already shown it is ok to do things that are clearly wrong.

Gallium 01-12-2013 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Joe (Post 19854123)

No, you would not be wrong. People who swear to support and uphold the constitution, but diametrically oppose significant components of it deserve to be tarred, feathered, shot, decapitated and burnt.

And then severely punished.

If you don't plan on supporting the constitution don't run for office - it should be that simple.

JohnBT 01-12-2013 15:32

They didn't pass a law, they passed a resolution. Big difference.

Gallium 01-12-2013 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBT (Post 19854395)
They didn't pass a law, they passed a resolution. Big difference.

Ok, I will take the feathering off the table, that was a bit harsh. :embarassed: :rofl:

GAFinch 01-12-2013 15:34

I've seen a couple Democrat strategists on Fox News suggest banning all semi-automatic firearms as well. Despite any assurances otherwise, this is what they all really want.

Michael Rye 01-12-2013 15:34

Yes, they are all going to be so much safer now:rollingeyes:

Total friggin' idiots deserve whatever happens to them.

RGbiker 01-12-2013 15:48

Ooooooh, the local Gangbangers are gonna' be pissed...:supergrin:

VA27 01-12-2013 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGbiker (Post 19854464)
Ooooooh, the local Gangbanger is gonna' be pissed...:supergrin:

There, fixed it for you.:D If all the gun owners in R.I. left the state there wouldn't be enough people left have a football game.

cowboy1964 01-12-2013 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by G36's Rule (Post 19854007)
Article was pretty clear, they can't get away with this. Preemption will not allow it.

There is also a bill to eliminate preemption and give local jurisdictions the ability to regulate firearms and ammo.

jame 01-12-2013 16:08

Hit 'em right in the wallet.

If you think there's even a remote chance you're doing any business with anyone there, let 'em know why you are no longer.

Check here:
http://www.yellowbook.com/local-busi...ovidence%2C+ri

.45Super-Man 01-12-2013 16:09

Our founders would have fixed this with a simple platform and about 6 ft of rope. "Shall not infringe" doesn't have a 'grey area'. You either uphold the constitution or you're an enemy of it and a traitor.

SixDemonBag 01-12-2013 16:31

Bomb the NE.

Baba Louie 01-12-2013 16:57

Well, there you go. That'll teach crazy insane young men seeking dark glory, death, destruction and suicide from using at least ONE form of death wielding device, since I'm sure they don't plan on or desire to break too many other laws while on their crazed killing spree. :upeyes:

Do the coppers have to obey this newfound make the community safer well thought out piece of legislation and go back to wheelguns only? Or are they too exempt from laws passed for the proles alone to obey while the lawmakers are busy thwarting other laws THEY DONT LIKE in the process?

Oh yeah, that pesky State pre-emption law thing. Screw it. Break a law to pass a law. Omelete... Eggs... I frickin LOVE this country sometimes. Other times, I'm only less than slightly proud of the fine minds in charge of all things important...

concretefuzzynuts 01-12-2013 17:13

pizza_pablo 01-12-2013 17:26

Must be a big, stupid publicity stunt, since there is a preemption law.
"Look, we tried to do something...."

arizona_andy 01-12-2013 17:32

I am not sure how anyone can get away with voting Yea on such a measure and not be branded a traitor and enemy of the constitution. Men who take this course of action should be dealt with swiftly, as this is a direct attack against the foundation of our country. Does no one keep the oath to defend our nation from domestic enemies anymore? At this point, I don't know what it will take for people to get the message.