Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Serpentine Belt Noise / Chirp? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463873)

Z71bill 01-11-2013 17:29

Serpentine Belt Noise / Chirp?
 
2007 Tahoe 5.3L V8 - ~~ 25K miles

I only drive it a few times a month - mostly used for vacation trips --

I started it up the other day using the remote start - it was COLD and raining :upeyes:- and heard a slight chirp - sounded like a squeaky belt. :dunno:

I say "slight" because if I am in the drivers seat I can not hear it -- after the engine runs for a while / drive a few miles it is quiet - no chirp even when I standing in front of the truck with the hood open.

I started the engine a few times now - hear the chirp - if I put a single drop of water on the serpentine belt (inside groves) the noise disappears instantly -

Should I replace the belt? It looks like new - no wear - no cracks.

Use "belt dressing" (I hate this ****)

Don't worry about it because it is normal?

JDennis 01-11-2013 17:44

Heck no. The chirp can be caused by moisture and/or surface rust gathering on the pullies from sitting without running. Belt dressing is not needed. Also the tensioner could be sticking from sitting. Not a big deal. Just drive it more:supergrin:

GunHo198 01-11-2013 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z71bill (Post 19850404)
2007 Tahoe 5.3L V8 - ~~ 25K miles

I only drive it a few times a month - mostly used for vacation trips --

I started it up the other day using the remote start - it was COLD and raining :upeyes:- and heard a slight chirp - sounded like a squeaky belt. :dunno:

I say "slight" because if I am in the drivers seat I can not hear it -- after the engine runs for a while / drive a few miles it is quiet - no chirp even when I standing in front of the truck with the hood open.

I started the engine a few times now - hear the chirp - if I put a single drop of water on the serpentine belt (inside groves) the noise disappears instantly -

Should I replace the belt? It looks like new - no wear - no cracks.

Use "belt dressing" (I hate this ****)

Don't worry about it because it is normal?

I had a problem last year, and replaced the belt. and still got the chirp. Tried everything, yet it kept coming back. After searching the internet, it turns out that when I replaced the pulley on my power steering pump, I didn't tighten it down enough to get it in alignment. So that was what was causing it to chirp. Tightened it down and all is fine.:dunno:

Z71bill 01-11-2013 17:54

But one drop of water on the grooved part of the belt eliminates the chirp.

After I noticed the chip -- I have been driving it more often -

Still the same ..

JDennis 01-11-2013 18:05

Have you checked the belt all around the ribs? Sometimes when the serpentine belts sit, rust can inbed on the belt surfaces where they contact the pulley. As the belt goes around, the inbedded rust on the belt will chirp where it contacts the pulley. Will make sense of the drop of water quieting it from lubrication.

GenX 01-11-2013 18:08

Belt dressing will make it worse, plus it's primarily used on vbelts. Replace it with a Goodyear Gatorback and be done with it.

Bushflyr 01-11-2013 19:03

The belt chirps because it's slipping a bit. Probably glazed. Run it till the chirp annoys you. Then replace it. It's not going to harm anything, just get progressively worse as the glazed section spreads.

el_jewapo 01-11-2013 19:51

I heard somewhere to rub a squeaky belt with a bar of soap. I tried it one time, I think it worked. I'm not sure if that could cause any problems or not and I don't feel like researching it right now, I'll leave that up to you.

427 01-11-2013 19:56

I'd be willing to bet that the idler pulley is going bad. Take off the belt and spin the pulleys that you can and you might narrow it down.

TransAm-98 01-11-2013 20:27

Moisture on the pulleys can cause a chirp. But most of the time on LSx engines it's because of a tired idler pulley or tensioner.

Rinspeed 01-11-2013 21:55

Never use belt dressing.

ilgunguygt 01-11-2013 21:58

Long time ASE mechanic here. On many chevy trucks I have seen people chase that problem replacing everything. In many cases a GM belt fixes it. They are made different, the grooves are deeper and the felt side surface is better. I have seen people replace every pulley/accessory, and the belt with a part store belt, and the only thing that would fix it was a GM belt. Bout 50 bucks.

racer11 01-11-2013 23:57

I had a chirpey belt on a ford van,,,I just gave the inside ribs a shot of wd40 once in a while,,,,no chirp no slip and long service, in fact I sold the van with that belt on it.

etc1006 01-12-2013 04:38

My neighbor has been through several belts on his Ram in the past year. We even replaced idlers and tensioners that were practically new, he put a new engine in during winter of 10 and did all that stuff new. Tried gator back twice, regular ones, and still does it on occasion. No rhyme or reason. Drives him nuts! Sometimes you have a chirper...

Restless28 01-12-2013 05:01

When my 5.3 Tahoe isn't driven for some time, it either slips or something else happens. It sorta "crunches" at startup. It's weird, but if its driven regularly, it never happens.

My truck is all GM under the hood too. Belts, hoses, water pump, etc.

Other than that, I love my old Hoe'.

Z71bill 01-12-2013 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by TransAm-98 (Post 19851247)
Moisture on the pulleys can cause a chirp. But most of the time on LSx engines it's because of a tired idler pulley or tensioner.

In my case putting a single drop of water on the grooved side of the belt eliminates the noise.

I tried putting a drop of water on each pulley - and on top of the belt - still have the chirp. but as soon as the water hits the grooves - no more chirp.

:dunno:

faawrenchbndr 01-12-2013 07:27

Change the belt...........once they start, they keep getting worse.

Z71bill 01-12-2013 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinspeed (Post 19851611)
Never use belt dressing.

I agree -

I had a can of it that I used on an old Pontiac power steering belt always squealed - what a mess.

Never again.

The Fed 01-12-2013 07:34

In your case it's the belt. In other cases it's the bearing in the tensioner. I've even seen squeaking from the PAINT on the outside of the belt make a squeak as it goes over the tensioner. In that case, since you usually replace the belt along with the tensioner many people think it was the tensioner when it was actually the belt. So with an ACCESSORY belt, if you don't see the tensioner jumping around (from a weak spring) try just replacing the belt first. You would never do just the belt on a camshaft timing belt job, because it's so much labor to get at it you always replace the tensioner. AND the water pump, if it's run off the timing belt.

Z71bill 01-12-2013 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr (Post 19852423)
Change the belt...........once they start, they keep getting worse.

I was planning a "major" service - transmission & transfer case fluid change, radiator flush, thermostat, belts & hoses - whatever else - and keeping it for 5+ more years. This will most likely be our last full size SUV - so want it to last & be reliable.

With such low miles for a 2007 - 25,000 mostly highway - I was hoping to wait a while longer.

I almost never use the remote start - and unless am standing in front of the truck I can't hear the chirp - it could have been doing this at start up for a few years. :dunno:

faawrenchbndr 01-12-2013 07:40

Belts are also sensitive to wear from heat, age, & natural elements.
Sometimes it has nothing to do with mileage.

SDGlock23 01-12-2013 07:41

The belt on my Chevy was squeaking off and on and rather than replace the belt (fairly low mileage), I swapped out the belt tensioner for a Dayco model and I've never heard a peep from it since.

Maxthemutt 01-12-2013 07:41

A dab of die electric grease can go along way. That was a Ford fix years ago, a Chevy probably won't know the difference.

Z71bill 01-12-2013 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fed (Post 19852451)
In your case it's the belt. In other cases it's the bearing in the tensioner. I've even seen squeaking from the PAINT on the outside of the belt make a squeak as it goes over the tensioner. In that case, since you usually replace the belt along with the tensioner many people think it was the tensioner when it was actually the belt. So with an ACCESSORY belt, if you don't see the tensioner jumping around (from a weak spring) try just replacing the belt first. You would never do just the belt on a camshaft timing belt job, because it's so much labor to get at it you always replace the tensioner. AND the water pump, if it's run off the timing belt.

I found this out the hard way with a Nissan PU -

I had the water pump go out around 50K - Nissan recommended I also replace the timing belt - they only up charged for the belt - I agreed.

At 75K the tension pulley went out.

:wavey:

The Fed 01-12-2013 07:45

In-laws have an older 4.2 Yukon with port injection. I'm guessing they drove it with a leaking injector. I figure this because their other cars constantly misfire and they think they run great, and they ignore CEL's. Anyway, I'm thinking so much fuel got past the rings they destroyed the engine (fuel in the oil). So always be aware of how your vehicle runs.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.