Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Two Portland Men Open Carry Rifles To Educate About Gun Rights (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463811)

HKLovingIT 01-11-2013 13:53

Two Portland Men Open Carry Rifles To Educate About Gun Rights

The news story:

http://www.kptv.com/story/20548025/m...and-to-educate

Meh.

RyanNREMTP 01-11-2013 14:48

Has to be a better way of doing that. A lemonade stand comes to mind.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

ChiTownPicaro 01-11-2013 16:36

If what they are doing is legal, I don't see the problem. I wouldn't have gone about it that way but at least they are trying to help out.

collim1 01-11-2013 16:47

Doesn't help our cause at all, and probably does more harm than good. There are better ways to fight this.

RJ's Guns 01-11-2013 20:07

Just what gun owners need now, idiots scaring the anti-guncrowd and giving us more bad press. What A-holes.
RJ

Dragoon44 01-11-2013 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ's Guns (Post 19850849)
Just what gun owners need now, idiots scaring the anti-guncrowd and giving us more bad press. What A-holes.
RJ

The real problem is they scare the folks that have no fixed opinion on the subject of guns. And they run the risk of alienating those that are on the fence on the issue.

All the anti's have to do is point to folks like these and say, "there, that's what the folks that own the "black rifles" are like, nutjobs that think carrying an assault weapon downtown is a great idea."

RJ's Guns 01-11-2013 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoon44 (Post 19850911)
The real problem is they scare the folks that have no fixed opinion on the subject of guns. And they run the risk of alienating those that are on the fence on the issue.

All the anti's have to do is point to folks like these and say, "there, that's what the folks that own the "black rifles" are like, nutjobs that think carrying an assault weapon downtown is a great idea."

You said it better than I.
RJ

R*E 01-11-2013 20:40

These two moron did nothing to help our cause, it's a great ammo for the antigun crowd.

6forsure 01-11-2013 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by R*E (Post 19851059)
These two moron did nothing to help our cause, it's a great ammo for the antigun crowd.

Like 99.99% of all open carry in populated, public areas. :upeyes:

Bren 01-11-2013 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro (Post 19849958)
If what they are doing is legal, I don't see the problem. I wouldn't have gone about it that way but at least they are trying to help out.

It has about the same positive impact as educating people about political correctness by standing on the corner yelling racial insults at passers by - that's legal too.:upeyes:

RJ's Guns 01-11-2013 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro (Post 19849958)

I do not think that they were "trying to help out", I think that they are morons trying to call attention to themselves and they hoped that this would get theim air time on TV, locally and across the country.

The A-holes.

RJ

RJ's Guns 01-11-2013 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6forsure (Post 19851069)
Like 99.99% of all open carry in populated, public areas. :upeyes:

I agree

RJ

ChiTownPicaro 01-12-2013 00:31

If it is legal, I don't see the harm. I remember people doing carrying evil black rifles at rallies where Obama was speaking. That didn't seem to be any more of a problem. I see a couple of young men exercising their first amendment rights and their second amendment rights at the same time. I guess we have a different view of things and the Bill of Rights.

TBO 01-12-2013 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro (Post 19851853)
If it is legal, I don't see the harm. I remember people doing carrying evil black rifles at rallies where Obama was speaking. That didn't seem to be any more of a problem. I see a couple of young men exercising their first amendment rights and their second amendment rights at the same time. I guess we have a different view of things and the Bill of Rights.

They weren't where Obama was speaking.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

etc1006 01-12-2013 05:40

IIRC, I read here in MD that you can carry a long gun. The wording of the law allows it.

A6Gator 01-12-2013 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ's Guns (Post 19851415)
I do not think that they were "trying to help out", I think that they are morons trying to call attention to themselves and they hoped that this would get theim air time on TV, locally and across the country.

The A-holes.

RJ

Egotistical dumbasses.

Dragoon44 01-12-2013 10:02

Quote:

I guess we have a different view of things and the Bill of Rights.
Narcissistic navel gazers always have a different view of things, because for them they are the only thing that matters. Common sense and self restraint never enter into their thinking. all they think about is what they want.

They take liberty for license, adopting a thought process that is, "As long as it is legal I'll do it", then wail when society gets fed up with their antics and makes it illegal.

And even then they will never acknowledge that their activities were counter productive. And never served any purpose other than their own gratification.

The Legalist asks- "Can I?"
The Libertine asks, "Will I?"
The Prudent man asks - "Should I?"

RJ's Guns 01-12-2013 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoon44 (Post 19852775)
Narcissistic navel gazers always have a different view of things, because for them they are the only thing that matters. Common sense and self restraint never enter into their thinking. all they think about is what they want.

They take liberty for license, adopting a thought process that is, "As long as it is legal I'll do it", then wail when society gets fed up with their antics and makes it illegal.

And even then they will never acknowledge that their activities were counter productive. And never served any purpose other than their own gratification.

You nailed it. Right on the money and it needed to be said.

Thanks
RJ

steveksux 01-12-2013 16:48

Hopefully these guys won't be as effective as the Open Carry folks in California were.

Randy

vettely 01-12-2013 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoon44 (Post 19852775)

Twice well spoken. Nailed it.