Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ringing in ear? Remedies (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463711)

JuneyBooney 01-11-2013 01:38

Ringing in ear? Remedies

I have been having an upper respiratory problem with sore throat for many weeks but now the right ear is ringing a lot. Do you guys know any good remedies for stopping the ringing? The ear feels like it needs to pop like going up a mountain. Thanks

cowboy1964 01-11-2013 05:24

You could see a doc. Prednisone (a steroid) may help but most likely you're going to have to wait it out. I'm going through the same thing right now. It's been two weeks and the pressure and ringing is driving me up the wall. I basically have lost most hearing in that ear. From what I understand these things can take months to resolve. At least the pain aspect of it went away within a few days.

You could try antihistamines and decongestants but they haven't been doing much for me, really. I haven't been shooting since this started, as I don't know if the noise stress would prolong this. OTOH, maybe it would help unblock it!

MGGLOCK9 01-11-2013 05:36

Did You Try

Saline solution sprayed up the nostrils..my doc says irrigating is a good way to unblock.

Any drugstore sells the bottles.

Good luck
MG

M&P15T 01-11-2013 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGGLOCK9 (Post 19847889)
Saline solution sprayed up the nostrils..my doc says irrigating is a good way to unblock.

Good luck
MG

THIS!!! AND DRINK TONS OF WATER.

I use a product called Ocean Spray.

Your ears, sinuses and teeth are all connected, and when those areas get crammed with thick mucus due to de-hydration, it needs to be drained. Not draining is how bad bacterial infections start.

JuneyBooney 01-11-2013 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGGLOCK9 (Post 19847889)

Good luck
MG

I bought some of that on the first week. I could not hardly breathe at night so I used it and it worked. Then I thought i was getting better but nope..right ear is driving me up the wall and I guess I relapsed a bit. Thanks for the suggestion though. I will keep using the spray.

JuneyBooney 01-11-2013 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19847895)
THIS!!! AND DRINK TONS OF WATER.

I use a product called Ocean Spray.

Your ears, sinuses and teeth are all connected, and when those areas get crammed with thick mucus due to de-hydration, it needs to be drained. Not draining is how bad bacterial infections start.

I guess I have not been drinking enough fluids and then the stoppage comes. I may try Ocean Spray and see if that works better than the generic stuff.

JuneyBooney 01-11-2013 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy1964 (Post 19847870)
You could see a doc. Prednisone (a steroid) may help but most likely you're going to have to wait it out. I'm going through the same thing right now. It's been two weeks and the pressure and ringing is driving me up the wall. I basically have lost most hearing in that ear. From what I understand these things can take months to resolve. At least the pain aspect of it went away within a few days.

You could try antihistamines and decongestants but they haven't been doing much for me, really. I haven't been shooting since this started, as I don't know if the noise stress would prolong this. OTOH, maybe it would help unblock it!

Mine started before Christmas and I thought it was going away but still here and the ringing is a pain in the rear. I guess it is better than the flu but not a real lot of fun. Thanks for the info.

railfancwb 01-11-2013 06:52

Wax buildup?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

The Fed 01-11-2013 07:00

What medication did/are you taking? Many can cause tinnitus. Mine was caused by a diuretic. If you're still taking anything new, stop and wait a week or so.

M&P15T 01-11-2013 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuneyBooney (Post 19848043)
I guess I have not been drinking enough fluids and then the stoppage comes. I may try Ocean Spray and see if that works better than the generic stuff.

I have been in the same exact condition as you. De-hydration is the biggest culprit, and being sedate (not walking/running, which drains out your sinuses) is also a big problem, because people are sedate when they're sick.

Any saline nasal spray will work. It's nothing but saline solution you blast up your nose into your sinuses, not really any type of medication. Generic or not, it makes no difference.

Again, drink lots of water, and get up and get moving, use the saline sprays.

HerrGlock 01-11-2013 07:33

Tequila.

They'll still ring but you won't care.

JuneyBooney 01-11-2013 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrGlock (Post 19848192)
Tequila.

They'll still ring but you won't care.

:rofl:That sounds right.

JuneyBooney 01-11-2013 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19848171)
I have been in the same exact condition as you. De-hydration is the biggest culprit, and being sedate (not walking/running, which drains out your sinuses) is also a big problem, because people are sedate when they're sick.

Any saline nasal spray will work. It's nothing but saline solution you blast up your nose into your sinuses, not really any type of medication. Generic or not, it makes no difference.

Again, drink lots of water, and get up and get moving, use the saline sprays.

I have tried to remain active and that is probably the problem...start to get better and then get sick again by going out with a wet head etc. Of course some say that it is germs..I say old wives tales are right. :faint:

Being sick really does stink. I can see it in my eyes..they get bags etc so I know it is there again and the ringing is constant.

JuneyBooney 01-11-2013 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by railfancwb (Post 19848056)
Wax buildup?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

I used to get that as a kid but haven't had that in years but I may have to wash them out just to see if it helps but more likely than not it is still infection related. But thanks for reminding me. I know why my vertigo is kicking in now..the ear. :embarassed:

Drain You 01-11-2013 07:42

People putting cranberry juice up they noses.

Make sure if you do try to irrigate that you do not use tap water, leastwise you want a brain eating amoeba to have a family reunion inside your head

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri

Also if you over do it with saline you can actually make things worse.

M&P15T 01-11-2013 07:46

Another suggestion:

BIG vitamins to boost your immune system, and light exercise to do the same.

GNC makes these Vita-Packs that pack a whollop, and give you great B-vitamin energy to boot. And 30 mintues of cardio to start clearing out your sinuses and lungs, plus plenty of sleep. No booze, no smoking....yada-yada-yada.

Gotta attack it from all angles.

RenoF250 01-11-2013 08:30

They have pills at the drugstore for ringing ears. I have no idea if they work though. You could also try and ear cleaning kit. Stuffed up head usually puts more junk in your ear.

CigarandScotch 01-11-2013 08:40

A daily tablespoon of vinegar. It took a few days for me, but my problem is chronic and recurring, so I always know when it is coming on and this method just plain works. And lower your sodium intake for awhile.

JuneyBooney 01-11-2013 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarandScotch (Post 19848436)
A daily tablespoon of vinegar. It took a few days for me, but my problem is chronic and recurring, so I always know when it is coming on and this method just plain works. And lower your sodium intake for awhile.

I may try that and see if it helps. I guess anything is worth a try. :cool:

JuneyBooney 01-11-2013 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drain You (Post 19848226)
People putting cranberry juice up they noses.

Make sure if you do try to irrigate that you do not use tap water, leastwise you want a brain eating amoeba to have a family reunion inside your head

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri

Also if you over do it with saline you can actually make things worse.

That hurts just thinking about it. :faint:

JuneyBooney 01-11-2013 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19848242)
Another suggestion:

BIG vitamins to boost your immune system, and light exercise to do the same.

GNC makes these Vita-Packs that pack a whollop, and give you great B-vitamin energy to boot. And 30 mintues of cardio to start clearing out your sinuses and lungs, plus plenty of sleep. No booze, no smoking....yada-yada-yada.

Gotta attack it from all angles.

That sounds like a good idea to me. :supergrin:

nam02G 01-11-2013 16:40

If you think it is plugged sinus related I have a suggestion nobody has thrown out yet. Try drinking a teaspoon or so of Tabasco or similar hot sauce. Or even a good wasabi. I used to have bad sinus problems. My then gf told me that someone had suggested that for her ex. It worked for him, and it worked for me too. It seems to open up the sinus passages temporarily. Drinking the hot sauce then irrigating may be the trick.

smokeross 01-11-2013 18:24

Been shooting the .44 without the muffs again?

BPPIX 01-11-2013 18:35

Mucinex works well for me.

Grumpy Gardener 01-11-2013 18:37

I had the very same symptoms up to about 9 years ago Juney.

Then I divorced her. :wavey:

gg.