Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Glocking (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Well guys, I'm having misfires... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461976)

21 Glock salute 01-03-2013 18:24

Well guys, I'm having misfires...

I was at my favorite LGS and just having a good ol' time with milady the G21...and unfortunately the striker's just not hitting hard enough :crying: the primers are hardly dented, so I don't think it's a crimping issue on my handloads. I recently put on a Ghost 3.5 trigger connector and a competition spring kit, and I was just wondering which of those two is probably guilty and deserves replacement. I don't have any issue with the standard trigger pull, but I just like light triggers (a curse). Oh also the gun had been in the trunk of my car for the majority of the 14 degree day we had here in IL. Any ideas?

stolenphot0 01-03-2013 19:02

did you change the striker spring? that could be the culprit

bustedknee 01-03-2013 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21 Glock salute (Post 19816516)
.... a competition spring kit, .... Any ideas?

competition spring kit?

Glock Junkie 01-03-2013 19:08

Striker springs are 4lbs in a competition spring kit. Put the stock one back in if you changed it

SJ 40 01-03-2013 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock Junkie (Post 19816731)
Striker springs are 4lbs in a competition spring kit. Put the stock one back in if you changed it

This or switch to Federal primers only,me personally I'd rather have a gun that would ignite any primer. SJ 40

cciman 01-03-2013 19:43

Agree with all previous-- put the stock striker spring in, or even the extra power striker spring. You can keep the comp trigger spring in.

lethal tupperwa 01-03-2013 19:54

how do you "compete" with a gun that does not work

did it work before you "improved " it?

once again improved until it doesn't work.

21 Glock salute 01-03-2013 20:04

I decided to take the bet that the spring kit wouldn't cause reliability issues :embarassed: ...so much for that one. I always use federal match primers so looks like it'll be back to the original striker spring. I only changed the sights because the front plastic sight broke and then I just couldn't stop :upeyes:

lethal tupperwa 01-04-2013 06:59

the sights were a good change

Bren 01-04-2013 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21 Glock salute (Post 19816516)
I recently put on a Ghost 3.5 trigger connector and a competition spring kit,

The best competition spring kit and connector are the ones that come from Glock. If you learn the best trigger technique for shooting a Glock with speed and accuracy, you will find that the springs and connector you put in give you a longer trigger pull (in the part that counts) mushy break and make it hard to hold your trigger at the break point when you need to. If you don't understand what I mean by that, you haven't learned a good trigger technique for a Glock.

And, yes, as others have said, the "competition spring kit" is your problem. Thye last time I tried that was a Wilson spring kit in a revolver - never again.

MajorD 01-04-2013 08:42

Put stock parts back in then leave it alone. NEVER replace a part that does work for one that might

ron59 01-04-2013 09:00

Leave your modified parts in, and just change the striker spring back to the stock one.

The Ghost Rocket is a great connector, and the spring kit is great for decreasing the trigger pull even a little more. Those of us who do that, use Federal primers. I've shot over 30,000 rounds with this setup, have yet to have ONE misfire.

With CCI primers (what I used previously) I had about a 7% misfire rate. I could have put the stock striker spring back in, but just went with the Federals and not one problem since.

All of these "keep it stock" bozos are just repeating the koolaid they've heard others spew. Spring kits and *quality* connectors are fine, but you do have to understand the mechanics and potential drawbacks.

Note: I only do this in COMPETITION guns, my SD gun indeed has a stock striker spring. If it's a gun upon which your life depends, the less I would mess with it.

VinnieG 01-04-2013 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron59 (Post 19818662)
Leave your modified parts in, and just change the striker spring back to the stock one.

The Ghost Rocket is a great connector, and the spring kit is great for decreasing the trigger pull even a little more. Those of us who do that, use Federal primers. I've shot over 30,000 rounds with this setup, have yet to have ONE misfire.

With CCI primers (what I used previously) I had about a 7% misfire rate. I could have put the stock striker spring back in, but just went with the Federals and not one problem since.

All of these "keep it stock" bozos are just repeating the koolaid they've heard others spew. Spring kits and *quality* connectors are fine, but you do have to understand the mechanics and potential drawbacks.

Note: I only do this in COMPETITION guns, my SD gun indeed has a stock striker spring. If it's a gun upon which your life depends, the less I would mess with it.

Great post. I couldn't agree more

SARDG 01-04-2013 09:17

Did you 'clean' your gun and put nice 40-weight oil in the hole in the slide leading to the striker channel, before storing it at 14 degrees? :whistling:

lethal tupperwa 01-04-2013 09:55

you don't use that modified gun at any GSSF match in anything other than unlimited--right.

SARDG 01-04-2013 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa (Post 19818861)
you don't use that modified gun at any GSSF match in anything other than unlimited--right.

He didn't even say he shoots competition at all, let alone GSSF, Jim. Although most of the replies came from GSSFers who know about this stuff.

Scrappy 01-04-2013 11:49

Put stock striker spring back in. 45 doesn't strike as hard as a 9 to begin with.
I just use a 3.5 connector with nice polish job and smooth faced trigger, all is well.
What ammo? if CCi they have harder primers to begin with

tbob38 01-04-2013 12:16

Any chance there is any oil around the firing pin?

lethal tupperwa 01-04-2013 12:30

Kitty,

"
Note: I only do this in COMPETITION guns"

ron59 01-04-2013 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa (Post 19818861)

Lethal. Is GSSF the only competition around? Hardly. Last year I only shot 3 of them. I shot in probably 17 USPSA matches though. *****hole.

The gun I was referring to (Ghost Rocket with Wolff springs) is the one I use in USPSA. It's a G34. USPSA is what I shoot 2-3 times a month.

My GSSF gun is a G17 which has one of Vanek's GSSF legal triggers in it. However, *IT* comes with 3 replacement springs.
http://www.vanekcustom.com/8.html
Not sure how that works as Glock only makes one of each spring. But it has a ~3 lb trigger pull according to Vanek. It's a fine setup, but at $150 minimum is pricier than what I want to spend for a gun I won't use in a GSSF match (like my G34).

Comparing the two setups? Honestly, the feel is pretty much the same pull wise, but the G34 with the Rocket has the overtravel stop which I prefer and is about $120 LESS than the Vanek setup. Of course, you have to know how to do the "ultimate" .25 trigger job to get there with the Rocket as you need to polish some stuff.

Lastly.... I shoot in Am Civ AND Competition divisions. And yes, G34s are legal there. However, I don't like switching between the two guns back-to-back like that. So I shoot my G17 in Competition first as a "warm up" to my run on same stage in Am Civ. I don't even take my G34 to a GSSF match. Just the G17 and my G30. About two weeks before a GSSF match I will put the G34 up and go practice 2-3 times with the G17 to get the feel of it again. They definitely have different "feels", which is why I don't try to shoot both of them at the same match. I did that ONCE two years ago, and did not do well and did not like it.

Anyway, point is my GSSF gun is legal so no need for the sarcasm.
Course, I could probably throw bricks and outscore you, not sure why I bothered replying.

So why don't you just take your "stock" gun and see if maybe you can break 120? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Leave the snide comments to those who can shoot.