Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cop Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   3 officers shot, gunman killed at N.J. police HQ (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460577)

TBO 12-28-2012 12:01

3 officers shot, gunman killed at N.J. police HQ
 
3 officers shot, gunman killed at N.J. police HQ

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...jured/1795665/

Ducowti 12-28-2012 12:06

Whisky Tango Foxtrot, over.

Glad the good guys won and Godspeed to the wounded officers.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

WT 12-28-2012 14:04

The shooter was a Corrections Officer. He was being processed by a female officer. When he was uncuffed he attacked and disarmed her. The other officers were in a nearby room and came to her aid.

Sad story.

cowboywannabe 12-28-2012 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by WT (Post 19790239)
The shooter was a Corrections Officer. He was being processed by a female officer. When he was uncuffed he attacked and disarmed her. The other officers were in a nearby room and came to her aid.

Sad story.

they process prisoners in a jail setting with their side arms on and by themselves?

WT 12-28-2012 14:47

Correction: the shooter was a civilian communications officer with the NJDOC.

(I do not know NJ procedures for processing 'guests' at the stationhouse.)

blueiron 12-28-2012 16:27

Somewhere in the Garden State, a utopian fool holding political office is probably railing to make police stations a gun-free zone.

Morris 12-28-2012 16:40

Quote:

Somewhere in the Garden State, a utopian fool holding political office is probably railing to make police stations a gun-free zone.
I'd laugh if it wasn't true . . .

Patchman 12-28-2012 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboywannabe (Post 19790269)
they process prisoners in a jail setting with their side arms on and by themselves?

Somebody got a little sloppy? :dunno:

All in all, outcome was acceptable.

TBO 12-28-2012 21:04

Female Officer overpowered by a suspect, gun taken/used by suspect.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/28...olice-station/

Vigilant 12-28-2012 21:48

No retention holster?

I too am amazed that they apparently allowed weapons inside the booking area. Would love to have some more info on this.

Sharkey 12-28-2012 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueiron (Post 19790714)
Somewhere in the Garden State, a utopian fool holding political office is probably railing to make police stations a gun-free zone.


If police were unarmed, this could have been avoided. :whistling:

Yikes. Glad the guy got what he deserved. Kinda strange she was armed during the book in process?

Morris 12-28-2012 22:46

Not entirely clear. For example, our lock boxes share the same common space as the bathroom and the interview room. Small space, too. So, if you are securing your firearms in the lockboxes, you should be locking the suspect in the interview room for a couple of minutes. After one in custody tried a gun grab on me (after I had locked up my handguns - and in behind the back handcuffs), I made sure suspects/arrestees stayed in the interview room.

xmanhockey7 12-29-2012 01:30

A liberal friend of mine posted this story to show that more guns is not the answer. When I pointed out the fact that it was a gun that stopped the guy he said a taser could have been used instead.

Deployment Solu 12-29-2012 03:25

Yeah, lock boxes/weapons lockers were OUTSIDE the booking area. No guns in Booking.
Left once or twice in a hurry on a hot call and almost left the jail with a Folger Adams key snapped into my holster instead of my Glock!!! I said "almost".

cowboywannabe 12-29-2012 04:25

toss the keys to your cruiser in with your gun, you cant leave without.

Officer X 12-29-2012 07:27

We have lockboxes in the salleyport at the entrance door to the cellblock/processing area and also at the entrance from the report writing room to the cellblock. Policy is to secure your firearm before removing the prisoner from the car to bring them inside or or at the other one before entering the cellblock to help with processing.

There are signs posted at each door " No firearms, ammunition, OC spray, knives or batons allowed in cellblock". Most supervisors will give some leeway with OC. Guys have been written up for being forgetful about this.

Officer X 12-29-2012 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboywannabe (Post 19792531)
toss the keys to your cruiser in with your gun, you cant leave without.

Exactly

I would always lock my car keys in the lockbox with my gun and put the box key on my belt.

Stevekozak 12-29-2012 07:49

Sounds like some sloppy procedural work. It is curious that the officer he took the gun from only got shot in the foot. I am guessing in the actual process of the gun grab?

merlynusn 12-29-2012 08:06

We don't process our prisoners in our offices, only the jail. But we put them into interview rooms. I always shackle them to the floor first, then remove the handcuffs, while bladed away.

4949shooter 12-29-2012 09:56

This should not have happened.

Morris 12-29-2012 11:10

Yet it did. And it continues to happen with some regularity.

Complacency. I've had it on occasion, caught myself for it, chastised myself for it and have refreshed . . . until I slip back into it. Human nature.

4949shooter 12-29-2012 12:26

Yet she violated the most basic rule of station house police work.

Guns don't belong in prisoner processing areas, or cells.

Period.

txleapd 12-29-2012 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 (Post 19792440)
A liberal friend of mine posted this story to show that more guns is not the answer. When I pointed out the fact that it was a gun that stopped the guy he said a taser could have been used instead.

I think it's safe to say that your liberal friend is an idiot.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Hack 12-30-2012 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by txleapd (Post 19794680)
I think it's safe to say that your liberal friend is an idiot.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Indeed.

Lock weapon in locker provided, and use a buddy check system.


Sent from my communicator.

series1811 12-31-2012 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4949shooter (Post 19793849)
Yet she violated the most basic rule of station house police work.

Guns don't belong in prisoner processing areas, or cells.

Period.

Yep. Rules like that weren't just thought up out of thin air. This is the reason.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:12.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.