Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Survival/Preparedness Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Order a few cases of .22lr? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460509)

emt1581 12-28-2012 05:51

Order a few cases of .22lr?

Right now I've got probably 20,000rds of .22lr in mostly federal bulk packs. I used to pick one or two up every time I went to wal-mart for a few years.

They are stored in a moisture controlled environment (40%) so I'm fairly confident they will be ok decades from now.

With all the concern I have for the impending ban, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to put up a few cases to add to the pile or is ammo not much of a concern at this point?

Where should I look to order/buy from? Wal-mart is all around, and I get huge discounts at Cabelas but I'm not sure if they are in the running for the best deals.

Thanks

-Emt1581

dukeblue91 12-28-2012 06:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by emt1581 (Post 19788602)
Right now I've got probably 20,000rds of .22lr in mostly federal bulk packs. I used to pick one or two up every time I went to wal-mart for a few years.

They are stored in a moisture controlled environment (40%) so I'm fairly confident they will be ok decades from now.

With all the concern I have for the impending ban, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to put up a few cases to add to the pile or is ammo not much of a concern at this point?

Where should I look to order/buy from? Wal-mart is all around, and I get huge discounts at Cabelas but I'm not sure if they are in the running for the best deals.

Thanks

-Emt1581

If you got that many you should be fine and give the rest of the people a chance to get some :tongueout:
I have been doing the same as you for the last year with the .22 LR but the last few weeks everyone is flat out of them here in Raleigh.
I had to go to 5 Walmart's to get 500 rounds of 9mm and none of them had any .22LR
It is incredible when you see the shelfs so empty.

emt1581 12-28-2012 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukeblue91 (Post 19788616)
If you got that many you should be fine and give the rest of the people a chance to get some :tongueout:
I have been doing the same as you for the last year with the .22 LR but the last few weeks everyone is flat out of them here in Raleigh.
I had to go to 5 Walmart's to get 500 rounds of 9mm and none of them had any .22LR
It is incredible when you see the shelfs so empty.

That takes me back to 08 when not even primers could be had.

-Emt1581

pugman 12-28-2012 06:20

You can never have enough ammo.

I generally only buy mini-mags now. I refuse to buy Remington or Winchester .22LR I've had such bad luck with it. I have probably 10,000 rounds of Federal in bulk packs, those automatch packs, etc.

My local Walmart has 100 count .22LR packs of CCI MM for 6.89

Gander Mountain was running a good deal on 1600 round plastic ammo box cases of CCI MM on black friday for $90. I bought 9. These same ammo boxes in the store yesterday were $120.

The key to stockpiling isn't so much of buying a little when and where you can - the key is when you can buy something at a good price you buy out the shelf. On a whim I've purchased basically a lifetime supply of toothbrushes, dental floss and bar soap this way.

Online I'm surprised how few distributors have any sort of decent bulk pricing on .22LR. I think sgammo.com had 5000 round cases of standard velocity CCI .22LR for a decent price - I'm not sure how it prices out with shipping.

I would check by my employer's firewall blocks the site.

dukeblue91 12-28-2012 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by emt1581 (Post 19788629)
That takes me back to 08 when not even primers could be had.

-Emt1581

That is starting too already.
Most online stores have suspended sales of high cap magazines all the way around and that is worrying me more then anything.
Do some online shopping if get some time and you will be amazed on how many out of stock and backorder you see.
cdnn.com has even closed their website.

dukeblue91 12-28-2012 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugman (Post 19788635)
You can never have enough ammo.

I generally only buy mini-mags now. I refuse to buy Remington or Winchester .22LR I've had such bad luck with it. I have probably 10,000 rounds of Federal in bulk packs, those automatch packs, etc.

My local Walmart has 100 count .22LR packs of CCI MM for 6.89

Gander Mountain was running a good deal on 1600 round plastic ammo box cases of CCI MM on black friday for $90. I bought 9. These same ammo boxes in the store yesterday were $120.

The key to stockpiling isn't so much of buying a little when and where you can - the key is when you can buy something at a good price you buy out the shelf. On a whim I've purchased basically a lifetime supply of toothbrushes, dental floss and bar soap this way.

Online I'm surprised how few distributors have any sort of decent bulk pricing on .22LR. I think sgammo.com had 5000 round cases of standard velocity CCI .22LR for a decent price - I'm not sure how it prices out with shipping.

I would check by my employer's firewall blocks the site.

Sgammo is down till after the 1st and is showing only 4 calibers in stock and very sparse with that.

pugman 12-28-2012 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukeblue91 (Post 19788639)
That is starting too already.
Most online stores have suspended sales of high cap magazines all the way around and that is worrying me more then anything.

Which makes me think they are holding them; waiting for a grandfather clause...then "suddenly find a case of them in the back" and sell them at 3-4 times retail. This or they are being purchased by employees. I don't blame them - keep your staff happy.

I remember back in 08 when Obama got elected and people were buying ammo like crazy. A friend manages the Walmart in Watertown, WI. They were lucky to get 6 cases of a week/store for about 3-4 months....then "suddenly" they were getting 6 pallets a week...at a 30% increase in price. At this time, ammunition manufactureres were running three shifts and saying "we are trying to keep up."

B.S They were stockpiling like everyone else. They waited for everyone to be in panic mode of not being able to find ammo then suddenly flood the market. The same friend in Walmart then said they had to institute a 6 box limit on purchases. I don't blame them one bit....

dukeblue91 12-28-2012 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugman (Post 19788645)
Which makes me think they are holding them; waiting for a grandfather clause...then "suddenly find a case of them in the back" and sell them at 3-4 times retail. This or they are being purchased by employees. I don't blame them - keep your staff happy.

I remember back in 08 when Obama got elected and people were buying ammo like crazy. A friend manages the Walmart in Watertown, WI. They were lucky to get 6 cases of a week/store for about 3-4 months....then "suddenly" they were getting 6 pallets a week...at a 30% increase in price. At this time, ammunition manufactureres were running three shifts and saying "we are trying to keep up."

B.S They were stockpiling like everyone else. They waited for everyone to be in panic mode of not being able to find ammo then suddenly flood the market. The same friend in Walmart then said they had to institute a 6 box limit on purchases. I don't blame them one bit....

I have no doubt that some of that is happening on many levels.
If I had a business in this I would be putting away some too but not all as I'm nice like that.

jr05 12-28-2012 08:08

I never understood the run on .22lr ammunition at any mention of a ban. The ammunition that would be saved if all others would be banned is 22lr...

I have a bunch on hand, but that is because I shoot a lot of it, not because I am worried it is going to go away. The only thing the panic buying does is increase the prices permanently. A brick of federal was $10 before the last hysteria, can't find anything for less than double that now...probably going to happen again thanks to the latest panic buying.

eracer 12-28-2012 08:16

I'm buying as much CCI Velocitor as I can.

ArmoryDoc 12-28-2012 08:56

How much of it do you shoot a month ? 20,000 is a lot. Replace what you shoot and keep the 20K as a base number. Date the boxes and rotate them out.

pugman 12-28-2012 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by eracer (Post 19788834)
I'm buying as much CCI Velocitor as I can.

Huh? Maybe I should buy out the shelves of my three local walmarts and ship it to you via UPS with no upcharge?

Its the one ammo the shelves are always stocked with...

eracer 12-28-2012 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugman (Post 19788972)
Huh? Maybe I should buy out the shelves of my three local walmarts and ship it to you via UPS with no upcharge?

Its the one ammo the shelves are always stocked with...

Fellow Cheesehead:

I'm not buying it because I think its going away.

I'm buying it because its the best high-velocity ammo out there, and I can only afford to buy small amounts at a time.

bush pilot 12-28-2012 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc (Post 19788970)
How much of it do you shoot a month ? 20,000 is a lot. Replace what you shoot and keep the 20K as a base number. Date the boxes and rotate them out.

You really have to pay attention to those dates too. I recently let a few boxes of .22 shells get past their expiration date. Even though they smelled fine and tasted OK I decided to toss them to be on the safe side.

LongGun1 12-28-2012 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by emt1581 (Post 19788602)

It is a really good idea to store your .22 ammo (long term) in some type of sealed container...

..similar to what I do with the "Tall .50" ammo cans (6,600 rds of bulk pack per can).
The cans are inexpensive insurance!

Take this from someone who stocks a sizable amount of .22 LR! :whistling:

My methods.....2 layers of 6 bulk packs with a ring of paracord around the middle bricks.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/IM001659.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/IM001662.jpg

A pic of some of the ammo (66K rds of .22 LR & others) put up in that packing session..

..I believe approx 144K rds of .22 LR put back in that session...IIRC
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/IM001669.jpg

bear62 12-28-2012 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc (Post 19788970)

Great idea.

emt1581 12-28-2012 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongGun1 (Post 19789572)
It is a really good idea to store your .22 ammo (long term) in some type of sealed container...

..similar to what I do with the "Tall .50" ammo cans (6,600 rds of bulk pack per can).
The cans are inexpensive insurance!

Take this from someone who stocks a sizable amount of .22 LR! :whistling:

My methods.....2 layers of 6 bulk packs with a ring of paracord around the middle bricks.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/IM001659.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/IM001662.jpg

A pic of some of the ammo (66K rds of .22 LR & others) put up in that packing session..

..I believe approx 144K rds of .22 LR put back in that session...IIRC
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/IM001669.jpg

I love the paracord idea! I always had to turn the can upside down.

2 questions....

1) In a humidity controlled environment, do you REALLY need to can them??

2) That bulge in the middle of the loaded can, mine did that to when I tried it. Is that going to damage the can/seal/etc. over time??

Thanks

-Emt1581

Hawkeye16 12-28-2012 20:16

What do you need 20K rounds for?!? I thought buying 1,500 was a lot.

emt1581 12-28-2012 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 (Post 19791365)
What do you need 20K rounds for?!?

The lying squirrels.

:50cal:

-Emt1581

Aceman 12-28-2012 21:38

If you think you'll need more than 20k in 22lr, invest in some Xanax, not more 22.