Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Closing the Private Sale "Loophole" (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460293)

SgtRambo 12-26-2012 23:00

Closing the Private Sale "Loophole"

I was thinking about this proposal and thinking about how this might be written. I came up with one question. Could a law be created and enforced that closed this method of transfer without finding out where all of the guns are to start with (eg. registration)? Currently, there is no federal registry and most states do not have one either. Could this be a back door into gun registration?

Scott3670 12-26-2012 23:06

This will probably be the one thing that will actually come from the recent tragedies. All the law will say is that if you seel a gun it must go through a licensed gun store. Big deal.

AK_Stick 12-26-2012 23:07

Pretty hard to write that law when it flies in the face of so many state laws.

Averageman 12-26-2012 23:08

Forget about it.
Too many ways and laws already on the books concerning the sale of proerty for this to work without 10 years of legal crap in court before it could do anything.
Selling my Gun to you is the same as selling my lawn mower. If the Seller doesn't care who the buyer is, it doesn't mean a thing.
Now, if you are a responcable gun owner pass the sale through an FFL if you have any doubt.

NEOH212 12-26-2012 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott3670 (Post 19784385)
This will probably be the one thing that will actually come from the recent tragedies. All the law will say is that if you seel a gun it must go through a licensed gun store. Big deal.

It shouldn't be mandatory. It should only be optional. If the Government wants it done then, the transfer shouldn't cost anything.

NickC50310 12-26-2012 23:08

Or have a system where private sellers can do a background check easily via the internet for a nominal fee. Im all for it as long as there is no registry and if it will get them away from any sort of bans.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Averageman 12-26-2012 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC50310 (Post 19784392)
Or have a system where private sellers can do a background check easily via the internet for a nominal fee. Im all for it as long as there is no registry and if it will get them away from any sort of bans.

No way. It would allow the Seller to get way to far in to the buyers business and allow a hell of a chance for Identity theft.
In Texas you can go to the Police Station and ask them if there is an issue with the sale.
In most places they will run the checks and let you do the deal inside the station.
I did this in College Station when I bought a gun from a Jailer.

2afreedom 12-26-2012 23:15

While I doubt this will happen, it would chap my butt to pay some jerk $50 to fill out a piece of paper so I could sell a gun to someone else. Maybe there will be a voucher program-you get a free cell phone and three transfers per year courtesy of the gubment.

Atlas 12-26-2012 23:26

It's a state matter and should be at handled at the state level.

NorthernAlpine 12-26-2012 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2afreedom (Post 19784411)
While I doubt this will happen, it would chap my butt to pay some jerk $50 to fill out a piece of paper so I could sell a gun to someone else. Maybe there will be a voucher program-you get a free cell phone and three transfers per year courtesy of the gubment.

+1
:rofl: Priceless

Atlas 12-27-2012 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC50310 (Post 19784392)

I see no way it can be enforced without a registry.
My attitude is that such would be directly contrary to the 2nd amendment. From where would the federal government take the lawful power to impose such a restriction?

Those here at GT who have in the past argued in favor of the federal government's authority to impose such "reasonable restrictions", do you see now the slippery slope here?

OP, the would-be answer to your question straight from the monster's mouth:
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

Kasinefect 12-27-2012 05:00

Because as we all know, criminals always try to handle their firearm transfers within the letter of the law.

PAGunner 12-27-2012 05:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlas (Post 19784441)
It's a state matter and should be at handled at the state level.

This... PA required background checks on handguns (not long guns), pain in the arse but fair enough. FL has no such requirement, also fair (not to mention background checks fee is only 5 bucks here not 20 like in PA).

captainstormy 12-27-2012 05:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Stick (Post 19784388)
Pretty hard to write that law when it flies in the face of so many state laws.

The federal Government doesn't have to worry about state laws. If they wanted to pass a new law the states would have to change their laws to comply with the Fed.

That's how it's suppose to be anyway, We've seen with the recent weed votes in some states that the fed doesn't always handle it that way.

eracer 12-27-2012 05:56

Quote:

So, if you want to sell a car, it must go through a licensed car dealer?

If you sell a puppy, it must go through a licensed puppy mill?

If your kid sells a glass of lemonade, it must be sold through a licensed lemonade store?

What about gold? What about antiques? Or anything else you want to sell? Should everything be registered, and tracked, and taxed?

You say, "No big deal."

I say, "Really big deal."

VC-Racing 12-27-2012 07:36

One thing I'd like to have access to is an ANONYMOUS way to check serial #'s via online or phone call . ATM I have a LEO friend run the serial #, but one day I may have one "pop" stolen and he's gonna want to know where it is. Which is fine, but I don't want to be a snitch.... because snitches end up in ditches ..... :eek:

2bgop 12-27-2012 07:38

Quote:

I agree, it is a very big deal. This is not an area where ground should be given.

EdTracker 12-27-2012 07:42

It's all about registry. We have a registry now on new guns...

A paper trail (uhm electronic trail) for when it is time to take them to disposal for your safety.

Averageman 12-27-2012 07:42

Look, you do not need Big Brother pemission to sell your property in most cases.
Please dont compromise more of our rights away by looking to Big Brother for a solution.
If you want to sell a gun and use a FFL, fine; it is your gun.
If you think further compromise will make the Gun Grabbers happy, well they wont be happy until they have control over all of the guns.
It isnt about the Guns it is about the control.

M&P15T 12-27-2012 07:46

And if closing the loop-hole stops further anti-2A/anti-gun legislation?

Averageman 12-27-2012 07:53

Do you honestly expect that these folks who studied Mao, Marx and Lennin will be willing to compromise?
Look this isn't about safety or human suffering. All of that went out the widow with "Fast and Furious" didn't it?
It's about an agenda, it is about control, it is about the media.
If you believe in freedom, dont sell it an inch at a time to someone who will only want more. When has compromise worked with these folks?

gwalchmai 12-27-2012 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19785084)

Not to mention that it will stop the heartbreak of psoriasis...

Guys, we've been over this and over this. The antis don't care a whit about the background checks. They just want the registration that such a system requires. Try as you may you will not find a way to make background checks work for private sales without a database of guns and owners. And that's a bad thing, remember?

M&P15T 12-27-2012 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Averageman (Post 19785107)
Do you honestly expect that these folks who studied Mao, Marx and Lennin will be willing to compromise?
Look this isn't about safety or human suffering. All of that went out the widow with "Fast and Furious" didn't it?
It's about an agenda, it is about control, it is about the media.
If you believe in freedom, dont sell it an inch at a time to someone who will only want more. When has compromise worked with these folks?

I don't disagree with any of the above. Although we must say that we have seen the left compromising/losing on gun-rights in the last 10+ years.

But my question still stands.

Would you trade closing the loop-hole for not having a major loss on anti-gun legislation.

What's the lesser of two evils?

cowboywannabe 12-27-2012 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19785084)

you cant be that stupid can you?:whistling:

M&P15T 12-27-2012 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboywannabe (Post 19785176)
you cant be that stupid can you?:whistling:

I find it both funny, and sad, that no one can just answer that question.

Do you think you will get cooties by answering a simple question?:rofl:

And no, I'm not sutpid. I am very well versed on this particular topic.