Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   IWB and Belt Tightness (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460212)

robhic 12-26-2012 17:47

IWB and Belt Tightness

I've noticed that when I wear pants that are a size larger and put my IWB holster in, I have to find a sweet spot between tightening the belt enough to hold my pants up (:wow:) and not too much so that my weapon isn't constricted in its holster.

I use a web belt with that infinitely adjustable metal buckle. If I leave it too loose, my gun is easy to draw but I risk de-pantsing myself! :supergrin: Too tight (pants stay up) and the gun is harder to remove.

OK, it's a new leather rig from High Noon holsters but will this improve or am I missing something? Thanks for info from the more experienced here.

Naptown34 12-26-2012 17:54

Suspenders?

ithaca_deerslayer 12-26-2012 17:58

Yeah, all that, and a lighter gun.

Glock 26 is the heaviest I go. 20 oz plus ammo.

Then Kahr PM9. 15 oz plus ammo.

Then S&W 642. 15 oz plus ammo.

Then Ruger LCP. 9 oz plus ammo.

b_oglethorpe 12-26-2012 18:00

Don't over think it. Go tight and draw your gun with authority.

CanMan 12-26-2012 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naptown34 (Post 19783033)
Suspenders?

Suspenders!

http://www.perrysuspenders.com/persus.html

SJ 40 12-26-2012 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_oglethorpe (Post 19783051)
don't over think it. Go tight and draw your gun with authority.

+1 sj 40

unit1069 12-26-2012 23:17

Yes, it would be good to know the model handgun you're carrying. It would help in soliciting suggestions.

unit1069 12-26-2012 23:17

Quote:

+2 here!

Caver 60 12-26-2012 23:36

Perhaps try a good leather gun belt? My problem isn't drawing the pistol. My holster keeps it easy to draw, no matter what. It's the fact I'm a little overweight (5' 8" and 165 pounds) and I have no hips.

So if I don't chinch it down tight enough I have to keep pulling my pants up. If it's too tight the pressure gets to my waist. I refuse to wear suspenders, although I'm sure that would solve the problem.

Happypuppy 12-27-2012 00:29

Try moving the holster to 5 o'clock or so behind the point of your hip bone and see if it helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NEOH212 12-27-2012 00:42

Quote:

This.

I deal with wearing my belt a little on the tight side when I carry IWB. I'll sacrifice a little comfort in order to securely retain my gun and make for a better draw.

Besides, after a while, you don't even notice your wearing the belt that tight! (Until you take if off!)

janice6 12-27-2012 01:29

I prefer the Beltman gun belt a little snug. It pulls the grip tight against my ribs and keeps it from tipping out and printing.

You say you hae a gunbelt. I just question how good the quality of the belt.

Real gunbelts are made with stiffness in mind. They do not "soften" (roll), even after 10 years. Since they stay stiff (except for the holes end), they keep the gun butt tight to your body.

Lowjiber 12-27-2012 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caver 60 (Post 19784298)
Perhaps try a good leather gun belt? My problem isn't drawing the pistol. My holster keeps it easy to draw, no matter what. It's the fact I'm a little overweight (5' 8" and 165 pounds) and I have no hips.

+1 & +1 on above quote.

If you don't have hips, you'll always have a carry problem...IWB or OC. At 6' 1" and 200 lbs, I don't have the problem, but my "hip-less" friends seem to always be pulling their pants back up.

I suggest a good gun belt and a set of suspenders.

IndyGunFreak 12-27-2012 07:48

Quote:

Perhaps try a good leather gun belt? .

This...

What kind of belt are you using?

Troy H 12-27-2012 07:54

Kydex holster, then tighten all you like!

ranger1968 12-27-2012 08:00

Quote:

So if I don't chinch it down tight enough I have to keep pulling my pants up. If it's too tight the pressure gets to my waist. I refuse to wear suspenders, although I'm sure that would solve the problem.

This;

Your problem is that your belt isn't very good;

A good, purpose made gun belt makes all the difference in the world....it will provide the support that the gun and holster needs without you having to cinch it so tight that you are uncomfortable....I cannot tell you how many times I have had this conversation with people, and when they finally get a real gun belt they come back and tell me "I get it now".....

There are some good belt makers out there, but if you are going to do it, I say do it right, and get the best the firs time out; I'm running a Beltman belt, and while he is not cheap, his stuff is the best there is....

http://www.thebeltman.net/

IndyGunFreak 12-27-2012 08:04

Also, you simply say a "leather rig".. High Noon has a lot of holsters, which one exactly are you using? Ask complete questions, get complete answers. Frankly I have several holsters from High Noon, and think they make great stuff. I doubt it's the holster (although I have no experience w/ their "pleather" holsters (I'm not sure exactly what it is.. I just know it's not leather, it's some sort of synthetic)

robhic 12-27-2012 11:00

At this point it looks like wearing suspenders with a Kydex holster at 5:00 on a leather belt will do it. Did I get that right? :supergrin:

I really don't want to wear suspenders. I am using a web belt which actually seems to work well when I tighten it properly. I wasn't complaining or blaming the High Noon holster. I really like it (It's the "Bare Asset" model leather cowhide) and it is a great product. It works as it is supposed to.

I just wanted to distinguish between the fact my holster was new leather and not a Kydex type. It looks like the new, different belt might be the answer. And it's not uncomfortable. it's just that tightening the belt holds the gun a bit tight, that's all.

For now I am going to go with "tighten the belt and draw with authority!" to see if all loosens up with a little more time. Then, if that fails, I'll go get a better, gun belt from a quality maker of such.

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions.

Bill Lumberg 12-28-2012 09:37

With a quality holster, reasonable belt tightness should not adversely affect draw. Are you wearing a proper gunbelt?
Quote:

Originally Posted by robhic (Post 19783002)
I've noticed that when I wear pants that are a size larger and put my IWB holster in, I have to find a sweet spot between tightening the belt enough to hold my pants up (:wow:) and not too much so that my weapon isn't constricted in its holster.

I use a web belt with that infinitely adjustable metal buckle. If I leave it too loose, my gun is easy to draw but I risk de-pantsing myself! :supergrin: Too tight (pants stay up) and the gun is harder to remove.

OK, it's a new leather rig from High Noon holsters but will this improve or am I missing something? Thanks for info from the more experienced here.

BigAlE 12-28-2012 09:46

I got a minotaur for christmas and have been carrying it with a cheap crap belt and it's not that impressive. My belt man is on order so I'm feeling like it will make a big difference.