Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Furball Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Pitbull in da House (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456629)

1911Tuner 12-08-2012 06:32

Pitbull in da House

1 Attachment(s)
Lightning strikes Briggstown Manor again.

I got the call yesterday on a young Pitbull who'd been taken in as a stray along with her new litter of pups. The owners showed up and claimed two of the younglings, and left mama and the others to die.

Because they technically became owner surrendered on that day, the 72-hour clock started ticking. One of the pups was adopted, and the other one is pending. Mama wasn't as lucky. Adult Pits stand little chance of leaving a kill shelter alive, and her time was up Sunday at 0600.

I went to have a look and get a "read" on her.

Skinny...frightened...confused...friendly...hopeful...cold and shivering, and seemingly aware of her fate...she pressed her head into my chest and looked at me with sad eyes that seemed to say "Please! Get me out of here."

Nervous and guarded at first with the rest of the pack, she started to relax last night, and she crept back to the bedroom to sleep beside the bed on my side. She's uncomfortable with me out of her sight for more than a few minutes. They know when they've gotten a reprieve. They know. They never forget it, and they remain loyal to the one who gave them the chance to prove that they're good dogs.

And she is...and so are the other two.

The picture doesn't show the level of emaciation. I can literally count her ribs from 30 feet, and every bony process is visible in her back, hips, and shoulders. The cure has already started.

We haven't settled on a name, but she'll let us know what it's to be soon enough.

Click the photo for a better look at this pretty girl.

Bren 12-08-2012 06:46

I'd post a comment, but I learned on Glock Talk that you won't be able to respond because you and most of the people on your block must be dead by now.:rofl:

Smoker 12-08-2012 06:57

Good job, the most loyal friend you'll ever have..

1911Tuner 12-08-2012 07:17

Yep and yep.

There are 16 dogs here now...and 12 are rescues...including four full-blooded Siberian Huskies and three Pits...and 14 are in the house. Well, the Huskies stay out all day in a nearly half-acre enclosure, but they come in at night and in bad weather.

Been involved in rescue for over 30 years. Heavy into it for the last 20, and up to my neck for the last 12. I've got bite scars from wrists to elbows on both arms. I've been bitten by just about every breed, cross-breed, and Heinz 57 you can name...but I've never been bitten by a Pit. Never.

Keoking 12-08-2012 10:15

That's not a pit bull. There's no baby in its mouth.

CanMan 12-08-2012 10:46

Lotta love in that dog's eyes! I have two of 'em, errr uh, Pits dammit. Very loyal and gentle.

1911Tuner 12-08-2012 14:00

That look in her eyes was a plea for help. They know what goes on in those places. They hear the screams and they smell death. She was scared.

countrygun 12-08-2012 16:26

Two years ago we "needed" just the right dog and we went to our shelter. There was a not quite full grown male APB pup who was just finishing a course of meds for a stomach issue. He looked so dejected and nobody would pay attention to him because the sign said "Pitbull". I wandered over and talked to him as he meekly came to the front of his "cell".

We couldn't take him that day but I promised him we'd be back the next day when we could take him home. I don't anthropomorphize but I swear he understood.

The next day when I walked in and said "hi" to the staff member, he jumped up and wagged his tail, but calmly waited. I had a collar in hand and when the door opened he came out and shoved his head right in the collar.

Our "need" was as a companion dog for my autistic step-daughter. I know it may scare the heck out of some folks, but I worked with him for several months training him. He goes outside with her, sleeps in her room, and is a good watchdog all the way around.

Experience with dogs cannot be undervalued when picking one out. I wouldn't say that any/every PB would be a good choice, but I won't say that no PB is suitable for this role.

Despite the fact that he is all muscle he is far easier to handle, and I trust him more, than some dogs, of supposedly "friendly" breeds, I have known.

1911Tuner 12-08-2012 19:04

Quote:

I don't anthropomorphize but I swear he understood.
Oh, they do understand. They're more aware than most people realize.

This video brought back a lot of memories as the Pitbull that I've known and rescued over the years. They're just dogs...eager to please and to be accepted.

Watch, and understand.

Berto 12-09-2012 01:35

Adopting is the way to go. You did a beautiful thing.

I'm on my second shelter APBT, he's been everything I could ever want of a dog.

1911Tuner 12-11-2012 14:00

Update:

She's adapted and is initiating play with two of the others that she's taken a shine to...both Pitbulls...an
d they seem to be hitting it off, although Katy is a little jealous of me diverting too much attention. I tell her that she's still my best girl, and that seems to reassure her.

"Sugar" is well-mannered and respectful, but needs some work on-leash. It appears that she's either well housebroken, or smart enough to realize that in the house isn't the place to go. She had one accident the second day, and after correction and a trip outside...that's been the end of it.

She's started to put on a little badly-needed weight. Feeding her twice a day and mixing a good amount of Purina Puppy Chow with her regular food is giving positive results.

Her tail is in constant motion whenever she's interacting with the other dogs or her human pack, and she's just plain happy to be here. She's gonna be a real keeper.

Rotn1 02-20-2013 20:37

You are a hero sir!

TX OMFS 02-21-2013 22:36

http://www.foxsanantonio.com/newsroo...id_14321.shtml

1911Tuner 02-25-2013 16:02

1. If it had been a Lab or a Golden, we'd have never likely heard about it outside the local newspaper.

2. Most people wouldn't know a Pitbull if they were lookin' straight at one. I read a newspaper account of a dog attack that named the dog as a Pitbull. Turned out to be a Lab.

countrygun 02-25-2013 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911Tuner (Post 20030951)
1. If it had been a Lab or a Golden, we'd have never likely heard about it outside the local newspaper.

2. Most people wouldn't know a Pitbull if they were lookin' straight at one. I read a newspaper account of a dog attack that named the dog as a Pitbull. Turned out to be a Lab.

The term "Pitbull" is used by the media with the same care and accuracy as such terms a "Glock, AK-47, AR, Assault rifle and Clips"

Yes indeed, we all know the media is where you get the real facts............:upeyes:

janice6 02-25-2013 16:23

Thank you for saving the life of a living thing. You have done a wonderful thing.

Dogs are as smart as you let them be. They need a pack and will be grateful to belong to one.

DustyJacket 02-25-2013 17:11

Good job, sir. You are a good man.

I just wish the doxie we rescued the January was as thankful.
(Not my avatar)

She loves my wife, but barks at me and has bitten me a number of times.

1911Tuner 02-26-2013 04:44

Quote:

Thank you for saving the life of a living thing. You have done a wonderful thing.
It has its own rewards, Janice. Every day, this little girl shows us that we did the right thing. She's playful and affectionate...and wicked smart. Whenever one of the other dogs here bristles up or snarls at her...she either retreats or clowns her way through it.

You'd have to work hard to get this dog to bite.

I've been involved in rescue for some 32 years...deep for 20, and up to my neck for the last 12. I've gone into crawl spaces, under mobile homes and vechicles and into culverts to bring out scared and injured dogs. I've got bite scars on both arms from the wrists to the elbows. I've been tagged by just about any breed...mixed breed...and Heinz 57 that you can name...and I've never been bitten by a Pitbull. Never.

One in particular left an impression on me...a young female that had been hit by a car and dragged herself under a pickup truck with both back legs broken and her hips crushed. She screamed and licked my hands all the way, but she never offered to bite.

Obviously neglected and probably abused, I held her head while the vet put her down so she'd know a gentle hand on her if only for a short time. That was 20 years ago, and I still think about her almost every day.

ZO6Vettever 02-27-2013 12:08

Countrygun, you did a good deed. Pit bulls scare me because of their bad rap but I'm a dog lover and could not walk away from that Lil' Mama. They know!

SGT HATRED 02-27-2013 12:37

I can't thank you enough for saving this dog. I well never get another k9 unless it's from the pound. It's so much more when you know you are saving a life.