Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Kicking Tires On A 1911 Pistol... Thank God for Glocks (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456624)

coleslaw 12-08-2012 04:04

Kicking Tires On A 1911 Pistol... Thank God for Glocks
 
So I don't know if RECOIL is still popular with Glocktalk folks after the Jerry Tsai comments, but I still like to read it.

Anyway the last issue of the year came out and there is a article title "Kicking Tires On A 1911 Pistol" in which the author helps potential buyers of a 1911 pistol what to be weary of when buying used. I think the article was supposed to excite the reader about buying/owning a 1911 but all it did for me was scare me out of a 1911.

The problems/issues that the 1911 is plagued with has made me realize how blessed I am that I own Glocks and HK's. It made me realize truly how much the polymer pistols have changed the game. The author listed problems such as cracked frames, cracked grip panels, loose plunger tubes, barrel bushing cracks, and even damaged extractors and slide stops are the norm. The author mentioned that these are all common problems with 1911's... Things that should be expected with the 1911 pistol. And this is too throw on top of the more vigorous maintenence you must do to a 1911 to keep it running as effecient as a dirty Glock. I've never owned a 1911, but I've always wanted too just because the cool factor, beauty and history but I think I'll stick with my low maintenence polymer guns.

I know the 1911 guys can get real butt hurt about any bad talk about the 1911 so I'll just apologize now and get it out of the way. I think James Yeager said it best with 1911 guys... "A 1911 that works correctly is just as rare as a Glock that doesn't"... Now let the hate speech rain down on me.

3rdgen40 12-08-2012 04:34

Quote:

I've never owned a 1911
Obviously...:upeyes:

onebigelf 12-08-2012 05:38

I own a combat commander that I was given when I was 16. Still on the original frame and slide, I'm on my 3rd or 4th barrel. I have probably replaced the extractor and spring 5-6 times and I've replaced and silver soldered the tube once. It's a solid, reliable pistol. Which sits in the safe and goes to the range with me. I carry my G19.

John

bac1023 12-08-2012 06:19

Sounds like you need to gain some real world knowledge before posting. Why post when you're obviously clueless of the subject matter?

Yeager is a moron and I've sent him some choice words on a few occasions.

joecoastie 12-08-2012 06:19

If you're really interested in a 1911 you might want to consult more informed sources. Recoil magazine comes off as being by amateurs for amateurs (the pretty pictures are entertaining though). James Yeager, from what I have seen of his Youtube videos seems pretty closed minded to anything that isn't a Glock. The best thing is to try one for yourself, but it seems like you've already made up your mind without any first hand experience.

bac1023 12-08-2012 06:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 19712097)

I know the 1911 guys can get real butt hurt about any bad talk about the 1911 so I'll just apologize now and get it out of the way. I think James Yeager said it best with 1911 guys... "A 1911 that works correctly is just as rare as a Glock that doesn't"... Now let the hate speech rain down on me.

:upeyes:

How exactly do you think he said it best when you have no idea what you're referring to?

Please give me an educated response. :impatient:

Wetrudgeon 12-08-2012 06:27

slaw:
No doubt the polymer pistols ushered in a new era in firearms. However, we think the popularity of the 1911A1 is evidence that it is still an excellent option. We feel safe in offering that for a large percentage of those who own copies of the 1911A1, sentiment and history have little to do with it.

We own three 1911A1 pistols, two of which have lots of "miles" and years on them; and we have never experienced any of the issues you mention. That is not to say that there are no problems with the various 1911A1 models extant, but we think more is made of these than the facts support. We also respecctfully observe that the plastic pistols are not immune from issues either.

Get yourself a 1911A1. Millions of dead Germans, Japanese, Italians, Koreans, and Viet Namese cannot be wrong.

Our $.02.

We trudge on.

coleslaw 12-08-2012 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bac1023 (Post 19712161)
:upeyes:

How exactly do you think he said it best when you have no idea what you're referring to?

Please give me an educated response. :waiting:

Geez. I see your ego really is invested in your 1911. I'm quoting a guy with a proven track record... What is your track record? How many people have you trained?

Super sensitive Forum warrior says a well renown proffesional is a moron... Yea I'm really gonna take your word.:whistling:

Glockdude1 12-08-2012 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetrudgeon (Post 19712162)
slaw:
No doubt the polymer pistols ushered in a new era in firearms. However, we think the popularity of the 1911A1 is evidence that it is still an excellent option. We feel safe in offering that for a large percentage of those who own copies of the 1911A1, sentiment and history have little to do with it.

We own three 1911A1 pistols, two of which have lots of "miles" and years on them; and we have never experienced any of the issues you mention. That is not to say that there are no problems with the various 1911A1 models extant, but we think more is made of these than the facts support. We also respecctfully observe that the plastic pistols are not immune from issues either.

Get yourself a 1911A1. Millions of dead Germans, Japanese, Italians, Koreans, and Vietnamese cannot be wrong.

Our $.02.

We trudge on.

:agree:

bac1023 12-08-2012 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 19712168)
Geez. I see your ego really is invested in your 1911. I'm quoting a guy with a proven track record... What is your track record? How many people have you trained?

Super sensitive Forum warrior says a well renown proffesional is a moron... Yea I'm really gonna take your word.:whistling:

:rofl:

The bottom line is you should get REAL WORLD knowledge before trolling a forum. If you want to listen to some clown in his 40's who still dresses like a teenager, more power to you.

I suggest you LEARN something before posting nonsense, that's all. You posted this to get a reaction and I figured I'd oblige.





...but you said it, my ego is completely invested in my 1911. :whistling:

What would I ever, ever do without my 1911... :sigh:

deadite 12-08-2012 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 19712168)
Geez. I see your ego really is invested in your 1911. I'm quoting a guy with a proven track record... What is your track

I see this turning out well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GlockPride 12-08-2012 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 19712168)
Geez. I see your ego really is invested in your 1911. I'm quoting a guy with a proven track record... What is your track record? How many people have you trained?

Super sensitive Forum warrior says a well renown proffesional is a moron... Yea I'm really gonna take your word.:whistling:

You might want to edit this before BAC wakes up. He probably has the most *exquisite* and unique handgun collection on this forum. If not tops on this forum, at least top three.
He is no rank amateur and retains near encyclopedic knowledge of 20th century handguns.

Cheers and have a great day!

Bren 12-08-2012 06:49

"Hi, I've never owned a 1911, but here's what's wrong with them." That is nearly a perfect Glock Talk post - if only you could have sad something about a CCW badge and why you hate the police....

itstime 12-08-2012 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 19712168)
Geez. I see your ego really is invested in your 1911. I'm quoting a guy with a proven track record... What is your track record? How many people have you trained?

Super sensitive Forum warrior says a well renown proffesional is a moron... Yea I'm really gonna take your word.:whistling:

You need to research before typing. Bac is the go to guy for advice. I have asked him questuons and will some more. His knowledge is extensive from hands on experience.

Search his handle on here. He is highly regarded here.

faawrenchbndr 12-08-2012 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 19712097)
So I don't know if RECOIL is still popular with Glocktalk folks after the Jerry Tsai comments, but I still like to read it.

Anyway the last issue of the year came out and there is a article title "Kicking Tires On A 1911 Pistol" in which the author helps potential buyers of a 1911 pistol what to be weary of when buying used. I think the article was supposed to excite the reader about buying/owning a 1911 but all it did for me was scare me out of a 1911.

The problems/issues that the 1911 is plagued with has made me realize how blessed I am that I own Glocks and HK's. It made me realize truly how much the polymer pistols have changed the game. The author listed problems such as cracked frames, cracked grip panels, loose plunger tubes, barrel bushing cracks, and even damaged extractors and slide stops are the norm. The author mentioned that these are all common problems with 1911's... Things that should be expected with the 1911 pistol. And this is too throw on top of the more vigorous maintenence you must do to a 1911 to keep it running as effecient as a dirty Glock. I've never owned a 1911, but I've always wanted too just because the cool factor, beauty and history but I think I'll stick with my low maintenence polymer guns.

I know the 1911 guys can get real butt hurt about any bad talk about the 1911 so I'll just apologize now and get it out of the way. I think James Yeager said it best with 1911 guys... "A 1911 that works correctly is just as rare as a Glock that doesn't"... Now let the hate speech rain down on me.


Don't feed the troll fellas,.........

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2151550e03.jpg

bac1023 12-08-2012 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr (Post 19712240)
Don't feed the troll fellas,.........

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2151550e03.jpg

:animlol:

Yeah, I always fall for this stuff...

:embarassed:

Rustin 12-08-2012 07:26

I don't think the op was trolling, it's just that he was frightened away from the wonderful world of 1911s by a magazine that most real shooters reject, and from a firearms trainer that most real shooters have no respect for. Look, I saw the article, but I've never seen, in person that is, any 1911's with cracked anything. The guns run and run and run. OP, 1911 guys are no worse than Glock guys. Get a damned 1911 and learn for yourself. (And bac is the perfect person to help you choose a specific 1911, plus hes an all around good guy as well.)

faawrenchbndr 12-08-2012 07:29

It's all good Brian,......:supergrin:

Sadly the OP conveniently neglected to discuss all the recent Glock failures.

ithaca_deerslayer 12-08-2012 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustin (Post 19712262)
I don't think the op was trolling, it's just that he was frightened away from the wonderful world of 1911s by a magazine that most real shooters reject, and from a firearms trainer that most real shooters have no respect for. Look, I saw the article, but I've never seen, in person that is, any 1911's with cracked anything. The guns run and run and run. OP, 1911 guys are no worse than Glock guys. Get a damned 1911 and learn for yourself. (And bac is the perfect person to help you choose a specific 1911, plus hes an all around good guy as well.)

The OP could at least buy 20 to 30 examples of a 1911 and try them out for a few thousand rounds each. Then he and Bac could have some good discussions afterwards over a beer :)

mac66 12-08-2012 07:41

I've owned many 1911s since the 1970s. I carried one by choice on duty. I built them into competition guns in the 1980s. I was a devotee of Jeff Cooper. I love 1911s.

I do not agree with Recoil magazine's assessment of the 1911 but when it comes down to it and with all due respect to the 1911, I don't think you can find a better service pistol than a Glock.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.