Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Pearl Harbor ~ December 7, 1941 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456499)

ysr_racer 12-07-2012 08:05

Pearl Harbor ~ December 7, 1941

A date which will live in infamy - FDR

Please take a moment to remember all the brave Americans that fought and lost their lives in WWII.

They really were the greatest generation.

Thank you all.

http://www.aviation-history.com/airm...l-harbor2a.jpg

cowboywannabe 12-07-2012 08:14

i fly my flag year 'round, not just when its fashionable. wish more folks had that sense of pride.

ken grant 12-07-2012 09:52

Honor the day and the people who died that day and the followering days.

Go buy a JAP CAR OR TRUCK

This I will never do. My Father was in the USMC in WW2, in China afterwards. Came out OK but never liked Japs although he liked the Chinese

vart 12-07-2012 09:54

I'm wearing this shirt at work today...

http://www.uswings.com/images/CENTTSNVYfront_225.jpg

HollowHead 12-07-2012 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken grant (Post 19709723)

That didn't take long. HH

Hawkeye16 12-07-2012 11:18

Quote:

This I will never do. My Father was in the USMC in WW2, in China afterwards. Came out OK but never liked Japs although he liked the Chinese

Think it's about time to let the hate go. Honor and remember those that fought but damn. I'd say we got the last laugh, holding a grudge won't get us anywhere.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

seanmac45 12-07-2012 11:22

Holding a grudge or remembering and being aware; two sides of the same coin.

FLIPPER 348 12-07-2012 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19709950)
That didn't take long. HH

the D-bag seems to be hitting all the Pearl Harbor threads

inthefrey 12-07-2012 16:57

Yes, thanks to all and, thanks Dad...
http://inthefrey.com/pearl.jpg

clancy 12-07-2012 17:13

We discussed Pearl Harbor and December 7th over dinner this evening. My dad and his wife are both old enough to remember hearing about it on the radio way back then and my Dad had an uncle who survived the attack. My Dad's wife asked my 11 year old son if he knew what today was, he said Dec. 7th, Pearl Harbor Day, the day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. When I asked him why the Japanese attacked us, he said it was in retaliation for our oil embargo. To say we were all more than a little pleasantly surprised that an 11 year old boy knew this was an understatement.

inthefrey 12-07-2012 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by clancy (Post 19710994)
We discussed Pearl Harbor and December 7th over dinner this evening. My dad and his wife are both old enough to remember hearing about it on the radio way back then and my Dad had an uncle who survived the attack. My Dad's wife asked my 11 year old son if he knew what today was, he said Dec. 7th, Pearl Harbor Day, the day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. When I asked him why the Japanese attacked us, he said it was in retaliation for our oil embargo. To say we were all more than a little pleasantly surprised that an 11 year old boy knew this was an understatement.

:wow: WOW! Where'd he learn that?! In a public school? I'm pleasently surprised!

robin303 12-07-2012 17:24

What is really sad is that every year you hear less and less about that time and date of history that changed the world. Watching Tora, Tora, Tora right now.

:patriot::patriot::patriot: To the greatest generation.

bunk22 12-07-2012 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by clancy (Post 19710994)

It's not that simple though and that sounds like it the attack was the solely the fault of the US. Japanese aggression in China started in 1931, Manchuria as I recall. Their need to solve economic issues began with China, expand and control. So the US began economic sanctions and embargo's after Japan declared war on China in 37. Of course Japan continued its expansion into places like Indochina. Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor wasn't just due to an oil embargo, it was also set on a course of expansionism. They needed oil and other resources and we apparently were in their way. They signed into the pact with the axis powers in 1940 and had even named a governor for Alaska and Washington State. Japan (militaristic government) wanted a war and got it...be careful what you wish for.

bunk22 12-07-2012 17:54

Quote:

Really? Time to let go I think, especially for someone who didn't fight in the war.

427 12-07-2012 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 (Post 19709962)
Think it's about time to let the hate go. Honor and remember those that fought but damn. I'd say we got the last laugh, holding a grudge won't get us anywhere.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Tell that to my uncle, a Bataan Death March survivor.

RedTop 12-07-2012 19:02

Quote:

At least we exacted revenge with the fire-bombing of Dresden.

Altaris 12-07-2012 19:13

I had a tech support person at work today end our call with "Happy Pearl Harbor Day... Bye"

I was speechless. On the one hand I was glad that she actually knew today was the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, but on the other hand, who says 'happy' like it is a celebration. There was nothing happy on that day. :dunno:

ken grant 12-07-2012 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunk22 (Post 19711113)
Really? Time to let go I think, especially for someone who didn't fight in the war.

Really????? Missed young years with my father and had several friends that lost their father.

I don't know of any of them that buy Jap cars.

bunk22 12-07-2012 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken grant (Post 19711402)
Really????? Missed young years with my father and had several friends that lost their father.

It's war, one in which you didn't participate. You hate Germans too? You missed young years with your father cause he served his country? Join the club dude. Hate to tell you, the Japanese aren't evil, nor their cars. To each their own of course, you want to mount your personal crusade, by all means lol

HollowHead 12-07-2012 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken grant (Post 19711402)

You must absolutely loathe Italians then. HH

Kasinefect 12-07-2012 21:19

I used to work for a man who still held a grudge against the Japanese. During the war, a kamikaze plane tried to dive into his destroyer.

I sure caught hell when I came to work in that new Mazda.

RGbiker 12-07-2012 23:42

My Dad fought in WWII against the Germans. Got really pissed when he saw my BMW motorcycle and my VW beetle.

My Uncle was a B29 crew chief in the Pacific during WWII.
He also got really pissed when he saw my Datsun 280Z (Nisson)....but as a gearhead he did admire German technology.

Told them both, my money, my choice in quality transportation.

lunarspeak 12-08-2012 05:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by robin303 (Post 19711022)
What is really sad is that every year you hear less and less about that time and date of history that changed the world. Watching Tora, Tora, Tora right now.

:patriot::patriot::patriot: To the greatest generation.

thats how history works..the more time that passes and the more people that were involved that die..the less it matters to the present..no one observes the battle of the sommes,the battle of chancelloresville, or the battle of Thermopylae.. all of whitch had greater death tolls then pearl harbor.

clancy 12-08-2012 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19711693)
You must absolutely loathe Italians then. HH

Romanians and Hungarians, too. Come to think of it, there were Danes, Poles, Russians and French who fought for the Germans, too. Should we hate all of them, too?

clancy 12-08-2012 05:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunarspeak (Post 19712182)
thats how history works..the more time that passes and the more people that were involved that die..the less it matters to the present..no one observes the battle of the sommes,the battle of chancelloresville, or the battle of Thermopylae.. all of whitch had greater death tolls then pearl harbor.

I don't know about that. I bet Grey Rider goes into mourning every anniversary of the Battle of Chancellorsville.