Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Obama's UN Gun Control (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456481)

mgentry 12-07-2012 05:47

Obama's UN Gun Control

This gentleman seems to have figured out how Obama is going to implement the UN Gun Control Treaty - - Watch and learn and prepare!

JW1178 12-07-2012 05:52

A president can't just sign a treaty and over ride the constituom.

Psychman 12-07-2012 05:56

Video not working.

JW1178 12-07-2012 05:58

A president can't just sign a treaty and over ride the constitution. This conspiracy crap gets old. He can't executive order our rights away. Well there is the patriot act.

In fact, he has to get a 2/3 vote in congress to ratify a treaty. Good luck with that Obama.

SMOKEin 12-07-2012 06:56

Who care's, we only have 14 days to live anyway.

JimmyN 12-07-2012 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW1178 (Post 19709050)
In fact, he has to get a 2/3 vote in congress to ratify a treaty. Good luck with that Obama.

Not the congress, the Senate. Only the Senate can ratify a treaty so that every state gets the same two votes. The House can't vote on treaties, since it's population based giving some states an advantage over others. And when was the last time you saw 67 Senator's agree on anything other than a pay raise?

Foxtrotx1 12-08-2012 01:23

Yeah, not happening. Go do your fear mongering somewhere else.

jmsfmtex 12-08-2012 04:26

I believe the process is that the two parties agree on what they want. It then goes to the Department of State to insure it does not interfere with our existing laws etc. It then goes to the Senate who needs 2/3rd vote to pass. It then goes to the President. With the existing attitude of the Department of State, the Senate and the President I would give it passing a high mark.

Baba Louie 12-08-2012 05:29

Never say never.

What jmsfmtex wrote could certainly happen and given the current mass media treatment of the minority party placing all blame and national woes their direction the past 15 years or so, coupled with the current populace thought process or lack thereof... just, never say never or think it cannot happen here.

This is, afterall, a nation that once outlawed beer, for goodness sake.
Or for our kids sake.
Or because women finally got the votes sake. :dunno:

I'm just sayin... keep your guard up.

Paul53 12-08-2012 23:55

Have faith in America. Firearms are more popular than ever. The 2nd amendment is clear and concise. You taka my gun, I braka you face.

ken grant 12-09-2012 07:34

What happens if it goes to the Senate and they just sit on it and do not act?

Some say after this the Pres. can sign and it becomes law,

mgentry 12-09-2012 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken grant (Post 19715884)

I know what the normal procedure is on a treaty vote, but I think Obama and Clinton have a plan to ram it down our throats like they did Obamacare.

Spiffums 12-09-2012 08:06

Cool I'm getting tired of shooting at cardboard..........and tiny bowl blue stands out against iron sights really good!

JimmyN 12-09-2012 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken grant (Post 19715884)

The same thing that happened to the CIFTA arms treaty signed by then President Clinton, it goes nowhere.

Everybody seems to have forgotten about that one. It was finalized and signed by Clinton so all it needs is a vote in the Senate, yet nobody seems to be concerned about it even though Reid could bring it up for a vote tomorrow. Obama has asked the Senate to ratify it, and you can bet they would if they thought they had the votes.

But CIFTA has been forgotten and people are now in a panic over the latest arms treaty, just as they were over CIFTA when Clinton signed that one.

The President can not ratify a treaty, only the Senate can do that.

ray9898 12-09-2012 09:15

What is truly sad is the complete ignorance many citizens have of our government. There are processes that have been followed since day 1, just because the voices in your head tell you Obama is going to make himself king with the stroke of a pen does not make it true.