Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Range etiquette for carrying (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456213)

fischgreg 12-05-2012 12:02

Range etiquette for carrying

New to ranges. Need some advice.

When exiting my vehicle and entering the range building, what is the proper etiquette for carrying it into the facility?

I've seen some who carry it in a sports bag. Louisiana is open carry but did not know if I could just holster it. Is that was looked down upon?

golls17 12-05-2012 12:07

Probably depends on the range. Why not call them and ask?

I know around here most won't let you draw from a holster while on the range, but will allow you to carry while shooting a different firearm.

I've always carried whatever I'm shooting in a bag or my ammo box. Magazines full but out of the gun.

russoj429 12-05-2012 12:11

at my local range (shoot straight) they allow you to conceal carry just like normal. but if you want to shoot it it has to be unholstered while on the fire line.

jthrelf 12-05-2012 12:43

I live in Pennsylvania. My range allows concealed carry with a license, but does not allow open carry [even though it is not illegal in PA]. Draw from holster is not allowed [too much of a chance of an accident].

Usually I'll have my LCR IWB (which is my normal carry setup). Glock (cased), ammo, mags, etc. in a gym bag and then carry my rifle case with rifle and/or 12 gauge. Once there's a cease fire i'll set up shop.

TheExplorer 12-05-2012 13:18

Are you talking public or private?

For public, check your states game site for range rules. They will also be posted at the range. Rules can range from gun must be unloaded to a max of x rounds.

For private, my range rules state a gun lock must be used unless you are carrying, open or concealed, or in a case. Main thing is always keep the muzzle pointed away from other shooters. Sometimes people get too casual and forget that important point.

Shooting courtesy would be to shoot at the same time. Always announce clear before you check your target and always shoot at the same distance as others. Once again, common sense, but you'd be surprised.

vafish 12-05-2012 14:46

Our club does not allow open or concealed carry on the ranges except during classes or other special circumstances.

robhic 12-05-2012 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by fischgreg (Post 19702946)
New to ranges. Need some advice.

When exiting my vehicle and entering the range building, what is the proper etiquette for carrying it into the facility?

I use the "Shooters' Club" in River Ridge and they don't allow loaded weapons other than in the range. But ...... if you have a CHP you are good to go. I am not clear about drawing a weapon on the line.

I do it and have seen others do it, too. So I guess it's OK.

Green Dragoon 12-06-2012 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by golls17 (Post 19702953)

I know around here most won't let you draw from a holster while on the range, but will allow you to carry while shooting a different firearm.

I've always carried whatever I'm shooting in a bag or my ammo box. Magazines full but out of the gun.

I belong to a private club and we have the same rule.

mnhogrider 12-06-2012 12:10

Depending on the range, I bet they have a web site and they'll have all the rules listed.

At the range I use:

Anybody with a MN permit to carry a pistol can carry into the range, but it must be holstered. We can't draw from a holster.

All guns brought in must be cased and can only be uncased at the firing line.

All ammo gets checked with a magnet. No steel core/jacketed bullets allowed.

One range that I go to doesn't allow alluminum case ammo.
Weird.

DaneA 12-06-2012 12:23

At the one I go to I can carry with no problem. If I want to use that firearm I take it out of my holster when I get to my lane and set it on the bench pointing downrange. They are pretty easy to get along with as long as you aren't doing anything stupid.

H&K 4 LIFE 12-07-2012 09:51

Rules are going to vary greatly from one range facility to another. I would ask your particular local range what their rules are.

Personally, I would never patronize a range where I couldn't practice drawing from the holster. YMMV.

TheExplorer 12-07-2012 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by H&K 4 LIFE (Post 19709550)

Personally, I would never patronize a range where I couldn't practice drawing from the holster. YMMV.

Agreed. I had never heard of that rule until now.

FireForged 12-07-2012 10:03

I dont "holster carry" into the range... I just put my unloaded weapons into their carrying cases and walk into the facility with my ammo/gear bag. My car gun stays in the car.

jamaicanj 12-07-2012 10:47

Call to confirm...some ranges have tons of policies re bringing the weapon on the premises unloaded and in a case etc

barres 12-07-2012 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhogrider (Post 19706324)
One range that I go to doesn't allow alluminum case ammo.
Weird.

That's because they collect any brass left behind to sell to reloaders, and they don't want to have to cull out aluminum cases which would be worthless.

As to the OP, I belong to a private range where the owner knows all of the members personally. If you're not an established member or a guest accompanied by such a member, he's watching over you like a hawk to make sure you don't do anything stupid. Once you've earned his trust, you can draw from concealment, rapid fire, whatever, as long as you stay safe and in control of your firearm. Don't ever lose his trust once you've gained it, though.

mc1911 12-07-2012 16:43

range carry

Ay my clubs range, open or concealed is OK.

Once a gun is taken from its holster or other transport device it becomes a recreational gun and is subject to the all the ranges safety and other rules.

SCmasterblaster 12-08-2012 17:59

My club is in VT, where most any adult non-felon can CCW. I just ccw up to the range and unload at the firing line, with the barrel pointing directly downrange.

Scott3670 12-08-2012 20:04

My club is in West Virginia, and they just recently allowed for CCW on property but never on the ranges. And no holstered weapons while on the range under any conditions.

papaduke 12-08-2012 20:23

I always bring mine unloaded in a bag, magazines unloaded, and everything in a range bag. This way if I'm going to a new range it won't matter what the carry rules are I'm safe.

Stevekozak 12-08-2012 23:21

I usually have the pistols I am going to be shooting in my range bag, unloaded. I conceal carry whatever carry piece I am not shooting that day, and it stays concealed. Most ranges will have rules posted. I always take time to read the rules at a new range, to avoid any unpleasantries. Happy Shooting!!