Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Ubuntu v Lubuntu (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1455954)

syntaxerrorsix 12-03-2012 17:25

Ubuntu v Lubuntu

I've been running Ubuntu on my desktop for about 5 years now and have decided to dual boot my netbook (Acer Aspire One 1.33 GHz and GBb RAM) which is running XP. I still need Windows and I don't have a cd copy to install it under VB so I'm stuck.

The first attempt to run 12.1 produced unacceptable graphics lag and strain on resources. Unusable.

I'm now d/l a copy of Lubuntu.

I'm interested in hearing what others are using in case this fails to impress as well.

Thoughts?

captainstormy 12-03-2012 17:49

There isn't much power in that rig, I'd imagine you'll probably have to use something with lxde or xfce for the DE.

Depending on how comfortable you are with Linux, something sleek and lightweight (but not as user friendly) like arch would be a good bet if your comfortable with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

syntaxerrorsix 12-03-2012 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainstormy (Post 19696685)
There isn't much power in that rig, I'd imagine you'll probably have to use something with lxde or xfce for the DE.

Depending on how comfortable you are with Linux, something sleek and lightweight (but not as user friendly) like arch would be a good bet if your comfortable with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree, which is why I was surprised that XP ran so well in comparison.

IndyGunFreak 12-03-2012 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix (Post 19696718)
I agree, which is why I was surprised that XP ran so well in comparison.

I like Lubuntu, and think it will serve you well... It's a very simple interface that you'll likely pick up in no time.

WiskyT 12-03-2012 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak (Post 19696865)
I like Lubuntu, and think it will serve you well... It's a very simple interface that you'll likely pick up in no time.

I have Lubuntu on one of my laptops thanks to IGF and it runs fine. I don't know that other versions wouldn't have run well either, but it started out as an XP machine. Lubuntu looked a little weird to me at first since the GUI was different from Ubuntu that I was familiar with, but it took only a few minutes to find everything.

I don't know if Lubuntu will run on your machine, but I can tell you that I'm not a geek at all and neither are my 7 and 5yo kids and we all use it with no trouble.

Chronos 12-06-2012 17:46

Pretty sure you'll like Lubuntu. Might take slightly longer to get the configuration exactly how you want it, but once you do you'll be set.

I wiped the ancient, rotting XP installation on my wife's old laptop from '04 or '05 or so and installed Lubuntu and it runs perfectly -- nice and snappy. Makes a decent backup or "loaner" computer with fresh, new software.

I also run LXDE on my modern systems -- I just generally prefer efficient use of resources and tight control over what the system is doing to a bunch of desktop eye candy. In terms of ease of navigation and use, I find it to be one of the best.

dwhite53 12-07-2012 05:48

Xubuntu.

I've run it on some low end machines with good results.

Works well in a virtual machine using Oracle VirtualBox though there is a little lag.

I do VirtualBox to avoid dual booting. If Xubuntu is going to be your primary OS you can install it then re-install XP as a virtual machine.

All the Best,
D. White

IndyGunFreak 12-07-2012 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwhite53 (Post 19708943)
Xubuntu.

I've run it on some low end machines with good results.

Works well in a virtual machine using Oracle VirtualBox though there is a little lag.

I do VirtualBox to avoid dual booting. If Xubuntu is going to be your primary OS you can install it then re-install XP as a virtual machine.

All the Best,
D. White

XFCE used to be a good, lightweight desktop alternative. Those days are long, long gone. Now, it's almost as bloated as Gnome/KDE. I remember when XFCE was really fast, now... I don't even give it a recommendation anymore it's so bad.

YMMV

Linux3 12-08-2012 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak (Post 19708980)
XFCE used to be a good, lightweight desktop alternative. Those days are long, long gone. Now, it's almost as bloated as Gnome/KDE. I remember when XFCE was really fast, now... I don't even give it a recommendation anymore it's so bad.
YMMV

I was a big XFCE fan but you are right, it has become very bloated and over the last year or so it's very unstable.
I no longer recommend it either.

I Shooter 12-08-2012 16:51

Go to On Disk.com. They have every type of OS you can't think of. They have Puppy that I used on a very old lap top and it works great. You can also ask questions and get answers. Good luck.