Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The belief that dogs are "people" kills (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454906)

Kingarthurhk 11-26-2012 16:16

The belief that dogs are "people" kills

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26...g-to-save-dog/

Ironically, the only survivor was the dog. When people overly anthropomorphize animals into pseudo-humans, this sort of thing happens. No dog is worth the death of an entire family.

fnfalman 11-26-2012 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk (Post 19671291)

Ironically, the only survivor was the dog. When people overly anthropomorphize animals into pseudo-humans, this sort of thing happens. No dog is worth the death of an entire family.

That may be your personal belief, but it isn't mine.

I'd risk my life to save my pets. I don't necessarily feel the same about other humans or even some of my own family members.

clancy 11-26-2012 16:19

Quote:

You have never met my in-laws. And I mean it.

Kingarthurhk 11-26-2012 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnfalman (Post 19671300)
That may be your personal belief, but it isn't mine.

I'd risk my life to save my pets. I don't necessarily feel the same about other humans or even some of my own family members.

That is some really sad priorities that you value animal life above humans and your own family. Are you vegan, and do you avoid all animal products? If not, it would appear your ethics and priorities are more tangled than twenty year old christmas lights.

fnfalman 11-26-2012 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk (Post 19671310)
That is some really sad priorities that you value animal life above humans and your own family. Are you vegan, and do you avoid all animal products? If not, it would appear your ethics and priorities are more tangled than twenty year old christmas lights.

What does my being a carnivore have to do with my pets?

Do you eat your pets on a regular basis?

My pets give me comfort and entertainment. My pets don't vote for Democrats or Republicans. My pets don't go and rape & kill others because of religious beliefs.

debbert 11-26-2012 16:28

I like my dog more than I like most people. She will protect me, and I will protect her, if I can.

Gallium 11-26-2012 16:30

Quote:

I heard this on the news, and was wondering what time Bren was going to start the thread. :cool:

I don't think your narration of what transpired is entirely accurate.

• "Boy" is a 16 yr old.
  • He threw a stick in the ocean, the dog went to get it
  • The boy went to get the dog (1st bad idea)
  • The dad went to get the boy.
  • The boy emerged from the water, did not see his dad
  • Mom and boy went to find dad
  • All three perish
  • The dog (very naturally) is upwind a bit wondering where everyone is.
Very very tragic. When I was 12yrs old I MIGHT have gone in after my dog as well. We don't know the mindset of the boy, and/or his level of emotional development/maturity.

Kingarthurhk 11-26-2012 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnfalman (Post 19671320)
What does my being a carnivore have to do with my pets?

Do you eat your pets on a regular basis?

My pets give me comfort and entertainment. My pets don't vote for Democrats or Republicans. My pets don't go and rape & kill others because of religious beliefs.

If you are a carnivore, then clearly you can distinguish that animal life is expendable for the use of humans. Therefore, valuing animal life about human life doesn't work. Like I said, 20 year old Christmas lights.

If it was a choice between my wife and children and the dog, the dog goes.

It must be too much city living, I don't get it.

Calico Jack 11-26-2012 16:32

Quote:

Did you read the entire article?

Kingarthurhk 11-26-2012 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallium (Post 19671340)
I heard this on the news, and was wondering what time Bren was going to start the thread. :cool:

I don't think your narration of what transpired is entirely accurate.

• "Boy" is a 16 yr old.
  • He threw a stick in the ocean, the dog went to get it
  • The boy went to get the dog (1st bad idea)
  • The dad went to get the boy.
  • The boy emerged from the water, did not see his dad
  • Mom and boy went to find dad
  • All three perish
  • The dog (very naturally) is upwind a bit wondering where everyone is.
Very very tragic. When I was 12yrs old I MIGHT have gone in after my dog as well. We don't know the mindset of the boy, and/or his level of emotional development/maturity.

It all started with the teenager running off to "save dear doggie". That has to be a value that is taught and observed. Ask a rancher about dogs. If they became expensively injured, you dig a hole. You don't run down to the local animal clinic and mortage the ranch.

Kingarthurhk 11-26-2012 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurplePirate (Post 19671345)
Did you read the entire article?

Yes, I read the article. The value taught to the teenager is "doggie is human" started this whole chain of unfortunate events.

fnfalman 11-26-2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk (Post 19671342)
If you are a carnivore, then clearly you can distinguish that animal life is expendable for the use of humans. Therefore, valuing animal life about human life doesn't work. Like I said, 20 year old Christmas lights.

If it was a choice between my wife and children and the dog, the dog goes.

It must be too much city living, I don't get it.

Not all animals are pets.

I couldn't give a rat's ass if a Japanese cow got killed so that I can have kobe steak and the sweet honey gets a nice handbag. If somebody were to try to kill my pet cow for food, then we'd have some serious problems resulting in death and violence of human beings.

I couldn't give a rat's patooey if my next door neighbor's dog were to drown. However, I'd risk my life to save my dog.

I don't have a wife, but if I were to have one and it's between her and my dog, I'd have to flip a coin. My dog doesn't nag on me. Nor does it want my credit cards to go buy shoes.

I hope that makes it clear for you.

devildog2067 11-26-2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk (Post 19671342)
If you are a carnivore, then clearly you can distinguish that animal life is expendable for the use of humans.

You make a fallacious assumption. I'm guessing that fnfalman would agree wtih the idea that not all animal life (and not all human life) has the same value.

I wouldn't eat my pets. I wouldn't kill my family. But I would eat some animals and I would kill some people.

fnfalman 11-26-2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk (Post 19671362)
Yes, I read the article. The value taught to the teenager is "doggie is human" started this whole chain of unfortunate events.

So, you'd save a drowning terrorist Islamist over a drowning dog?

devildog2067 11-26-2012 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk (Post 19671354)
It all started with the teenager running off to "save dear doggie". That has to be a value that is taught and observed. Ask a rancher about dogs. If they became expensively injured, you dig a hole. You don't run down to the local animal clinic and mortage the ranch.

Isn't that a choice that each person should get to make on his or her own?

I'm with you, I think I generally would not risk my own life to save my dog and if it came down to my dog or my wife, the dog would go. But I don't presume to make that choice for other people, and there are definitely some dogs I'd save before some people. I definitely wouldn't presume to tell someone else how much money they should spend trying to save their own pet--it's their money and their business.

fnfalman 11-26-2012 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildog2067 (Post 19671372)
Isn't that a choice that each person should get to make on his or her own?

I'm with you, I think I generally would not risk my own life to save my dog and if it came down to my dog or my wife, the dog would go. But I don't presume to make that choice for other people, and there are definitely some dogs I'd save before some people. I definitely wouldn't presume to tell someone else how much money they should spend trying to save their own pet--it's their money and their business.

What about your ex-wife?

Calico Jack 11-26-2012 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk (Post 19671362)

Can you prove that?

If the kid jumped in for a pair of sunglasses would you say he was taught, "sunglasses are human"?

trashcat 11-26-2012 16:44

People forget that the ocean is not the same as a lake or pond you can't go after a struggling swimmer and do a survival float until rescue arrives. I've been to many of the beaches in that area, they are well known for dangerous undertows, strong surf action, strong currents, and the average water temp is 53-54 degrees.
Never go after a dog in the water, a dog will survival swim better than you who is used to swimming laps in the pool or playing around in the lake.

HollowHead 11-26-2012 16:44

Quote:

Were you bitten as a child, or did the dog simply not play with you? HH

NeverMore1701 11-26-2012 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19671392)
Were you bitten as a child, or did the dog simply not play with you? HH

Or the dog turned down his amorous advances?