Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Red-Light Camera Ticket (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454047)

M&P15T 11-20-2012 10:05

Red-Light Camera Ticket

I gots me one, from the great city of Fairfax VA.

Do I get points? Or do I just pay a fine, like with a speeding camera?

byf43 11-20-2012 10:09

Didn't know Virginia had red-light cameras!!!!

Should just be paying the fine. No points assessed.

bocaboca 11-20-2012 10:20

You should check into the law....Virginia might be one of the few states that require the ticket to be served personally...if its mailed or tacked to your door it might not be valid.
this is c/p from a National Motorist Blog:
Thus, under Virginia’s red light camera statute as it is now worded, the mere mailing of a citation without personal service by a law enforcement officer does not constitute sufficient notice under the statute’s own terms. While the statute permits the jurisdiction to make the initial attempt to summon the accused to court via mail, if that person fails to respond, he or she is not considered to have been satisfactorily served with notice.

Bottom Line: Do a little research...it just might save you some $$.

M&P15T 11-20-2012 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocaboca (Post 19651399)
You should check into the law....Virginia might be one of the few states that require the ticket to be served personally...if its mailed or tacked to your door it might not be valid.
Thus, under Virginia’s red light camera statute as it is now worded, the mere mailing of a citation without personal service by a law enforcement officer does not constitute sufficient notice under the statute’s own terms. While the statute permits the jurisdiction to make the initial attempt to summon the accused to court via mail, if that person fails to respond, he or she is not considered to have been satisfactorily served with notice.

You did some research, and quoted some of it above. I am completely confused........what are end are you getting at? Do you imagine there's some technicality that I can use to my advantage to not pay the ticket?

I ran a red light, it's not in dispute. I've seen the video, it's on-line, there's no denying it. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm going to get points.

bocaboca 11-20-2012 11:13

My (very little) research showed that some people had fought the ticket and won due to a loophole in the statute.

ya did the crime now do the time......just pay the ticket and learn from it.

Virginia has a 3 point assessment and up to $200 fine (depending on driving record) for going thru red light. expect negligent increase on insurance premiums.

*ASH* 11-20-2012 11:15

THEY got rid of em here in my area of nc . to many loopholes and the big wigs had enough of the backlash so they took em down :supergrin:

there was so many way to hide your plates it just was waste of money

KalashniKEV 11-20-2012 11:20

"The owner is liable for the payment of the fine for violations recorded using blah, blah, blah... POINTS WILL NOT BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE REGISTERED OWNER OR THE DESIGNATED DRIVER FOR THIS VIOLATION"

Taken from a DC camera ticket I have on my desk... I'm sure Fairfax is the same...

:)

Bullwinkle J Moose 11-20-2012 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19651412)
Do you imagine there's some technicality that I can use to my advantage to not pay the ticket?

He did not suggest using a technicality to invalidate the ticket, but to possibly use the law to invalidate it. Is it really a loophole or technicality to require government to obey the same laws we are require to obey?

G29Reload 11-20-2012 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocaboca (Post 19651399)

I used this statute to avoid paying MD red light /speed cams. VA resident living just west of OP.

Not sure how instate works, they could send an officer around, not sure if they bother.

G29Reload 11-20-2012 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalashniKEV (Post 19651569)
"The owner is liable for the payment of the fine for violations recorded using blah, blah, blah... POINTS WILL NOT BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE REGISTERED OWNER OR THE DESIGNATED DRIVER FOR THIS VIOLATION"

Taken from a DC camera ticket I have on my desk... I'm sure Fairfax is the same...

:)

DC? Don't pay it. nothing happens. Seriously. no violation hits, certainly not the points as above and they can't collect the money. VA law requires officer service.

M&P15T 11-20-2012 11:54

Thanks folks, I really appreciate the information. Ya'll are great, which is why I asked here on GT.

I'll wait until I get the ticket in my hands, and take it from there.

ColdSteelNail 11-20-2012 12:52

I've always felt tickets generated by photo or video evidence should not be legal. If you have the right to face your accuser in court how are they going to swear in a camera?

nmk 11-20-2012 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdSteelNail (Post 19651904)
I've always felt tickets generated by photo or video evidence should not be legal. If you have the right to face your accuser in court how are they going to swear in a camera?

The camera is not your accuser. It is physical evidence used by your accuser.

KalashniKEV 11-20-2012 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by G29Reload (Post 19651694)
DC? Don't pay it. nothing happens. Seriously.

I contested it through the website.

It was for running a red light, but I was just stopped over the line and waited for green.

hogfish 11-20-2012 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19651352)
I gots me one, from the great city of Fairfax VA.

Do I get points? Or do I just pay a fine, like with a speeding camera?

You get points. I run one every chance I get. Sometimes I just run around the block so I can run it again and get more points. :supergrin:

el_jewapo 11-20-2012 16:53

Send them a picture of the fine money.

roger123 11-20-2012 17:00

No points, my daughters boyfriend borrowed her car once to do a food run for their work. He rolled the light on a left turn, I got the fine in the mail. Nice video as well. Yes, he paid us the $50!!

porschedog 12-11-2012 18:06

Two words: paintball gun