Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Senator wants to limit "easy access" to dangerous explosives (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453576)

HerrGlock 11-17-2012 03:30

Senator wants to limit "easy access" to dangerous explosives

http://www.wthr.com/story/20037286/s...ous-explosives

Captain Ron 11-17-2012 03:59

I know it would happen if the wrong people found out about it.

concretefuzzynuts 11-17-2012 04:21

Uh Oh. Better ban gasoline too. That's sold all over the place and is easier to get.

Cali-Glock 11-17-2012 06:55

Your link goes to an article about a teacher-student sex scandal. Nothing on the page about explosives.

cowboywannabe 11-17-2012 07:09

and so it begins..................

Kingarthurhk 11-17-2012 07:11

Does this mean they are going to ban chili beans? I get rather explosive after eating those.:supergrin:

HerrGlock 11-17-2012 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali-Glock (Post 19640608)
Your link goes to an article about a teacher-student sex scandal. Nothing on the page about explosives.

You mean the page with "senator-wants-to-limit-easy-access-to-dangerous-explosives" in the URL?

I just clicked on it and it still good.

Caver 60 11-17-2012 07:43

Link worked for me.

I still remember the good old days when you could walk into the local hardware store, buy all the dynamite you wanted to purchase along with blasting caps, etc and take it home.

Naelbis 11-17-2012 08:04

Funny how we like to talk about freedom here in the US, and yet people in third world countries have access to better hardware than we do. There is absolutely no point to banning tannerite unless you are willing to ban the hundreds of other items that can be used to make explosives.

Z71bill 11-17-2012 08:28

It is the little - almost subliminal - things that bother me more -

They had to point out that a retired POLICE OFFICER shot it with a high-powered rifle. How PC of you.

Like Mr Average Citizen can't shoot a HIGH POWERED RIFLE!!

Bruce M 11-17-2012 08:51

I would prefer to live someplace where maybe I can't buy dynamite at the hardware store but at least I can reliably get meat, produce, and toilet paper at the grocery store than some third world where explosives may be legal but so is the open trench that serves as a sewer next to the main street which is unpaved in the capital city.

That said my suspicion is that this potential ban has as much do do about having fun as it does with anyone worried about safety.

janice6 11-17-2012 09:09

Death capable items that scare people:

Fertilizer and Diesel oil
Gunpowder
Railroad flares
Knives
Hammers
Hatchets
Axes
Nail guns
Explosive solvents: paint thinner, xylene, Acetone, Benzene, ....etc..
Butane, Propane bottles
Natural gas
Gasoline
Guns
Dynamite
Lithium Batteries over heated
Acetylene
Compressed Oxygen
Welding tanks as pressure vessels
Pressurized steam vessels
Cars
Trucks
Railroad Engines
Many more than listed here.

So many dangers, where do we start banning? Let's start with everything.......

larry_minn 11-17-2012 10:03

I went from going to Blankers (Hardware) to having to get (free) permit from Sheriff/limited places, to ATF showing up to inspect my "magazine" then $50 per yr, $100 per yr. (and other background checks the SAME DANG OFFICE RUNS do NOT count.
Do I "feel" any safer? Heck no. What happens now is I get old gent who wants to "talk" Seems he has 20+ yr old stuff he bought legally and has no idea what to do with. (or he dies and his wife/kids find it) Certain areas you do NOT notify authorities.... No common sense. Other they will treat it as a QUIET training exercise.
Thankfully most has been rotated 4x a yr. I have one right now. They can't notify locals as it will become national headlines (The father was even a LIFE MEMBER of NRA)>>>> So they are clearing 60 yrs of stuff and know what to look for. (They only found blasting caps so maybe no explosives) That stuff (if there is any) has not been handled ????????? I really have no idea what to do if they find any. I am not going to risk my life, area is too populated to dispose locally.....

Page finally loaded. This is about tannerite? A bottle of hair spray could blow that mailbox. Ban hairspray

RenoF250 11-17-2012 10:42

I have yet to hear of a story where anyone was injured by Tannerite or it was used for vandalism. I suspect it has happened though, where are the stories?

FullClip 11-17-2012 10:56

I'm certain that if water melons could talk, they'd support outlawing Tannerite. Coolest thing I've seen so far with the stuff is just one 1/2 pund target stuck into a slightly over-ripe water melon. There wasn't a trace of any seeds or rind left in the gravel pit. Just a wet spot and a big cloud of pleasent smelling vapor.:supergrin:

Yeah, we've been bad boys and now Nana Obama wants to take away our toys.

TK-421 11-17-2012 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullClip (Post 19641124)
I'm certain that if water melons could talk, they'd support outlawing Tannerite. Coolest thing I've seen so far with the stuff is just one 1/2 pund target stuck into a slightly over-ripe water melon. There wasn't a trace of any seeds or rind left in the gravel pit. Just a wet spot and a big cloud of pleasent smelling vapor.:supergrin:

I need to go find a gravel pit. :rofl:

M&P15T 11-17-2012 11:38

Who's this Jim Merritt?

I mean seriously, is every one of our elected officials a useless waste of oxygen?

railfancwb 11-17-2012 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&P15T (Post 19641232)
I mean seriously, is every one of our elected officials a useless waste of oxygen?

Rhetorical question I'm sure.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

RenoF250 11-17-2012 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullClip (Post 19641124)

We used some to convert a box of out of date data books to confetti. Also put some next to a can of gas and a fire to make a big fireball.

podwich 11-17-2012 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce M (Post 19640824)
I would prefer to live someplace where maybe I can't buy dynamite at the hardware store but at least I can reliably get meat, produce, and toilet paper at the grocery store than some third world where explosives may be legal but so is the open trench that serves as a sewer next to the main street which is unpaved in the capital city.

False dichotomy fallacy.

NOLA_glock 11-17-2012 16:25

Ban acetone and hydrogen peroxide! Ban urine and wood ash! Explosives can be made from all sorts of much more easily available things.

Jade Falcon 11-17-2012 16:33

This is what happens when the "So You Think You Can Dance?/Glee/X-Factor" crowd sees something other than dancing gay men on TV.

I swear to Christ, this country is getting more "girly-man" every day.

Pawcatch@aol.co 11-17-2012 17:11

I have to drive over 50 miles now anytime I want to get black powder.It's been like that for years,but you woudn't know it from reading gun forums like this one.

I still have idiots tell me,"why don't you just use pyrodex?"

norton 11-17-2012 18:07

Oh the horror.
The State Senator is from Indiana.
Suck it up girly man. Life is full of danger.

ColdSteelNail 11-17-2012 19:28

Figures, just when I discovered Tannerite.