Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ireland. Hindu woman in throes of miscarriage denied abortion (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453235)

Gallium 11-14-2012 23:10

Ireland. Hindu woman in throes of miscarriage denied abortion
 
Father, forgive me, but your children in Ireland are simply ****ing stupid.


http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/14/world/...rsy/index.html

HollowHead 11-14-2012 23:19

Saw the story tonight, also. It seems that the "only in the event to save the mother's life" laws are so ambiguous, doctors walk away rather than risk their license, and women die. Sad. HH

Gallium 11-14-2012 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19633089)
Saw the story tonight, also. It seems that the "only in the event to save the mother's life" laws are so ambiguous, doctors walk away rather than risk their license, and women die. Sad. HH


Hippocratic oath (ETHICS and honesty) apparently does not apply, nor fly in Ireland.

fnfalman 11-14-2012 23:48

Man, that sucks for the lady and her family. So much for European sensitivity and understanding and all that PC crap.

Bushflyr 11-15-2012 10:20

Perfect example of what would happen here if the anti-choice zealots got their way. Go GOP, overturn Roe vv.Wade. :upeyes:

badge315 11-15-2012 10:37

Apparently it isn't just Muslims who cling to a medieval ideology that costs lives. :upeyes:

JW1178 11-15-2012 10:44

I thought they at least had coathangers in Ireland. Hook, loop, pull.

vikingsoftpaw 11-15-2012 17:59

A miscarriage is a natural abortion. No need to provide the additional service. Abortion to save a mother's life is legal in Ireland.

It is Socialized Medicine Issue.

HollowHead 11-15-2012 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw (Post 19635907)
It is Socialized Medicine Issue.

How so? HH

devildog2067 11-15-2012 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw (Post 19635907)
A miscarriage is a natural abortion. No need to provide the additional service. Abortion to save a mother's life is legal in Ireland.

It is Socialized Medicine Issue.

No, it's not.

If it were a cost issue, they would have done the abortion and gotten her out of the hospital. They didn't.

Glocksanity 11-15-2012 18:16

The doctors did not feel her life was threatened. They were wrong. They make mistakes all the time. She still could have died even if the abortion was given.

When your time is up, your time is up.

Sad though.

RicoGordo 11-15-2012 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw (Post 19635907)
A miscarriage is a natural abortion. No need to provide the additional service. Abortion to save a mother's life is legal in Ireland.

It is Socialized Medicine Issue.

I have see some extraordinary stupid posts here and there, but this beats them all. Exactly how does a law banning induced miscarriage relate to socialized medicine?

And no need to provide the additional service? The woman is now dead, so I think that pretty much indicates that you do not know what the hell you are talking about.

tsmo1066 11-15-2012 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowHead (Post 19635922)
How so? HH

Under Ireland's socialized medical system, the government will reimburse the hospital and doctor for treatment of any injuries she sustains as a result of the miscarriage, but not for performing an abortion absent a demonstratable threat to the mother's life.

For the hospital, the decision to abort or not when the pregnant woman originally came in complaining of back pain came down to "If we abort now and the government beauacracy disagrees that her life was in peril, we don't get paid. If we ride out the miscarriage and hope for the best, we get full reimbursement."

The socialized reimbursement system adds a financial incentive and beaurocratic angle to what would otherwise be a matter of discussion strictly between the doctor and a medical review board on whether the doctor acted appropriately and her life was in danger.

Edited to add: Don't take this post as implying that Ireland's strict anti-abortion law is defensible. I don't believe it is. I'm just pointing out that the socialized medicine aspect does play a role in such cases.

RenoF250 11-15-2012 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glocksanity (Post 19635954)
She still could have died even if the abortion was given.

When your time is up, your time is up.

Sad though.


Exactly, she died of an infection which she very likely would have still gotten with the abortion. No way to know.

TK-421 11-15-2012 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw (Post 19635907)
A miscarriage is a natural abortion. No need to provide the additional service. Abortion to save a mother's life is legal in Ireland.

It is Socialized Medicine Issue.

Oh, and let me guess, you think that if the rape is "legitimate" then the body will naturally not get pregnant? :rofl:

RicoGordo 11-15-2012 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallium (Post 19633112)
Hippocratic oath (ETHICS and honesty) apparently does not apply, nor fly in Ireland.

How can you blame the doctors? You don't know what the law is or how it is applied there.

RedTop 11-15-2012 18:31

Quote:

"Tuesday morning, came back and said, 'Sorry, can't help you. It's a Catholic country. Can't help you. It's a Catholic team.' So, Savita said that she was not a Catholic. She is Hindu, so why impose the law of the land on her?" her husband said.
I'm a 'pro-choice' conservative, but the main reason this story is making headlines is from the quote above.

I'm sorry this lady lost her life but she probably would have been better off in India, or maybe not.

RicoGordo 11-15-2012 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoF250 (Post 19635969)
Exactly, she died of an infection which she very likely would have still gotten with the abortion. No way to know.

If there is no way to know, how can you say she "very likely" (your words) would have still gotten the infection?

When there is an imminent miscarriage with these symptoms, US doctors would have performed an immediate abortion, because this is exactly what can happen when a miscarriage lingers.

RicoGordo 11-15-2012 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTop (Post 19636004)
I'm a 'pro-choice' conservative, but the main reason this story is making headlines is from the quote above.

I'm sorry this lady lost her life but she probably would have been better off in India, or maybe not.

If they could afford to live in Ireland, they could afford health care in India. You can get 1st world care in India if you have money.

devildog2067 11-15-2012 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoF250 (Post 19635969)
Exactly, she died of an infection which she very likely would have still gotten with the abortion. No way to know.

"Very likely"?

You think it's "very likely" that she would "still" have gotten septic after a medically indicated termination of her pregnancy performed in a hospital? You think that has the same likelihood as getting septic after three days of having a traumatic miscarriage and being in terrible pain?

That's like saying someone who takes out his own kidney with a spoon and dies was "very likely" to die if the same procedure was performed by a doctor in a hospital. It's just stupid. Sure, she might have died anyway, but the chances are a lot lower.

RedTop 11-15-2012 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicoGordo (Post 19636030)
If they could afford to live in Ireland, they could afford health care in India. You can get 1st world care in India if you have money.

I know. It makes you wonder why they moved to Ireland in the first place. :dunno:

TK-421 11-15-2012 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTop (Post 19636064)
I know. It makes you wonder why they moved to Ireland in the first place. :dunno:

Probably because their job in Ireland is what allowed them to be able to afford to live there?

RenoF250 11-15-2012 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicoGordo (Post 19636023)
If there is no way to know, how can you say she "very likely" (your words) would have still gotten the infection?

When there is an imminent miscarriage with these symptoms, US doctors would have performed an immediate abortion, because this is exactly what can happen when a miscarriage lingers.

Yes, I supposed you are correct. I just doubt this is a standard miscarriage case. Why did fetus that still had a heartbeat cause an infection?

If the baby is miscarrying I do not see a good reason to let it fester.

norton 11-15-2012 19:17

Its a good thing for democrats the soon to be aborted fetus can't vote.

Altaris 11-15-2012 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by badge315 (Post 19634377)
Apparently it isn't just Muslims who cling to a medieval ideology that costs lives. :upeyes:

All religion tries to bring people back into the stone ages. Religious laws like Sharia, and hard line anti-abortion laws like this do nothing but harm people.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.