Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tactical Shotguns (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   Mossberg vs. Reminton (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453214)

Landmonster 11-14-2012 21:21

Mossberg vs. Reminton
 
Hello all.

Title should read "Mossberg vs. Remington"

I want to standardize my eventual defensive shotgun collection on either Remington shotguns (870, 1100, etc), or Mossberg shotguns (590, 930, etc).


My reasons for this are just for standardization purposes. I'd like all my training and muscle memory to be the same across my shotguns...without having to re-learn or cross-train different brand's operating systems. I also want parts compatibility. I also don't really want to have to familiarize myself with 2 different shotgun systems, and learn all the intricacies of each one. I don't feel like the 2 brands are different enough to justify owning both. (My needs are purely defensive, not for collecting!)


So as a whole, is Remington superior to Mossberg? Or is Mossberg superior to Remington? Why?

Discuss.

plouffedaddy 11-14-2012 21:36

Pick whichever safety design you prefer. Both are excellent shotguns.

MeanAction 11-16-2012 05:58

I grew up hunting with Remington and have nothing bad to say about them. My HD shotgun is a Mossberg though. No reason just happened to work out like that. If you keep it lubed up and train it shouldn't matter which you pick. With that being said, I think the older Remington Wingmasters were the best shotgun you could find for the $.

JDennis 11-16-2012 09:28

Can't go wrong with either. I only have one Mossberg but haven't had any issues transitioning to it.

BAL7 11-16-2012 22:35

I use Remington for hunting and work but I always like where the action bar lock is on the Mossberg shot guns because it is behind the trigger guard.

Blast 11-16-2012 22:41

I prefer the Remington, but both are fine weapons.

Aceman 11-17-2012 08:18

Anyone who says there is a definitive answer is either telling you their personal preferences, or they don't know both platforms. Gotta be a big boy and call this yourself.

I prefer Mossberg, but Remington is just as good. And, if we lived in a world without Mossberg, I'd be just as happy.

I do understand what you are saying though. I'll make this very interesting point if you want to take it to that level.

A Remington 7600 RIFLE is exactly like an 870 Shotgun, except of course it comes in flavors like .308, .30-06, .270, and if you find a 7600P model, in .223 and they accept AR mags.

Floated barrel, extremely accurate, fast follow-ups, and can keep your eye on another target. Excellent choice for deer. Or anything else...

How's that for manual of arms consolidation and gear interchangeability?
AR, 870, 7600 and 7600p

benji 11-17-2012 09:41

I like Mossberg because the first shotgun I ever owned is a Mossberg. That is as valid as any other reason you will hear for one being better than the other.

byf43 11-17-2012 10:08

I've owned 3 Mossberg shotguns.
Bought one. Won two.
I just sold the last one (.410).
Both of the two that I won, had never been taken out of their box(es).

I don't (personally) have anything nice/kind to say about Mossberg.


I presently own seven (yes, 7) Remington shotguns, including 4 870s.

I have nothing but praise for Remington shotguns. :thumbsup:

Landmonster 11-17-2012 10:15

Good replies guys.

For someone who has grown up shooting one brand or the other, it probably doesn't make sense to switch. For someone who is simply a collector, it doesn't make sense to standardize.

I'm relatively new to shotguns though, and I am not a collector. I plan to use them for defensive purposes, so it makes sense to me to pick a brand, and then standardize with the brand's weapon system. (Parts, training, manual of arms, tools, etc)

I have shot 870s, and they seem pretty simple to use. They are also inexpensive and light weight... they seem pretty handy. You can get a basic 870 Express Tactical for about $300 in my area.

I challenge anyone that says "the 870 is a flawless weapon" though. I have several complaints about it.

First, I wish that the generic 870s came with a better finish. I'd prefer Parkerizing, or something of that nature.
*(Counterpoint: I understand you get a nice finish on the Marine Magnum, but I don't really want a shiny finish. I understand you can get a nice finish on the Wingmasters, but they don't come in 'tactical' setups.)

Second, I wish you could buy it already equipped with all the aftermarket parts I'd want, instead of having to add them all myself
*(Counterpoint: I realize you can get all this in the 870P max, I just balk at spending $1200 on a pump shotgun.)

Third, I wish the 870 held more rounds, like the 590a1.
*(Counterpoint: I realize that there is a trade-off involved here.... as the 590a1 is longer and heavier. I'm not sure if it is worth it for a CQB scenario or not, but it seems advantageous.)


The only real reasons that I am considering a Mossberg 590a1 are:

-It holds 8+1 rounds, instead of 6 or 7 with the 870
-It seems to be built with slightly beefier construction.
-It comes with a factory Parkerized finish
-The rear mounted safety seems possibly more useful and/or definitive feeling.
-You can buy the gun with most of the accessories I want under $600 (Ghost ring high-viz sights, Speedfeed stock, etc)


I realize the 590a1 is not without flaws though, either. People say it is heavier, and less smooth than the 870. People also say that the fit and finish is subpar to the 870s, even though the 590s come Parkerized. And people have said that all extra "beefier construction" of the 590a1 doesn't really increase reliability to the extent you think it would... it just adds weight.

Thus, I am at a dilemma until I can sort through these trade-offs.

Andrewsky 11-17-2012 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landmonster (Post 19640886)
Good replies guys.

For someone who has grown up shooting one brand or the other, it probably doesn't make sense to switch. For someone who is simply a collector, it doesn't make sense to standardize.

I'm relatively new to shotguns though, and I am not a collector. I plan to use them for defensive purposes, so it makes sense to me to pick a brand, and then standardize with the brand's weapon system. (Parts, training, manual of arms, tools, etc)

I have shot 870s, and they seem pretty simple to use. They are also inexpensive and light weight... they seem pretty handy. You can get a basic 870 Express Tactical for about $300 in my area.

I challenge anyone that says "the 870 is a flawless weapon" though. I have several complaints about it.

First, I wish that the generic 870s came with a better finish. I'd prefer Parkerizing, or something of that nature.
*(Counterpoint: I understand you get a nice finish on the Marine Magnum, but I don't really want a shiny finish. I understand you can get a nice finish on the Wingmasters, but they don't come in 'tactical' setups.)

Second, I wish you could buy it already equipped with all the aftermarket parts I'd want, instead of having to add them all myself
*(Counterpoint: I realize you can get all this in the 870P max, I just balk at spending $1200 on a pump shotgun.)

Third, I wish the 870 held more rounds, like the 590a1.
*(Counterpoint: I realize that there is a trade-off involved here.... as the 590a1 is longer and heavier. I'm not sure if it is worth it for a CQB scenario or not, but it seems advantageous.)


The only real reasons that I am considering a Mossberg 590a1 are:

-It holds 8+1 rounds, instead of 6 or 7 with the 870
-It seems to be built with slightly beefier construction.
-It comes with a factory Parkerized finish
-The rear mounted safety seems possibly more useful and/or definitive feeling.
-You can buy the gun with most of the accessories I want under $600 (Ghost ring high-viz sights, Speedfeed stock, etc)


I realize the 590a1 is not without flaws though, either. People say it is heavier, and less smooth than the 870. People also say that the fit and finish is subpar to the 870s, even though the 590s come Parkerized. And people have said that all extra "beefier construction" of the 590a1 doesn't really increase reliability to the extent you think it would... it just adds weight.

Thus, I am at a dilemma until I can sort through these trade-offs.

870 Police models usually have parkerized finishes. All you need to change out the forend or buttstock of an 870 are screwdrivers and needle nose pliers. It's extremely simple. An 870 with a 20" barrel can be fitted with a +3 magazine extension giving a capacity of 7+1 shells.

Jon_R 11-17-2012 11:00

As a lefty I prefer mossberg safety to Remington. For 3gun I prefer on the mossberg that the shell lifter does not interfere with loading shells in the tube. I Have 4 mossberg 590, 590a1, 930 spx, and 590 mariner. I have two Remington's 870 and 1187 20 gauge youth. Remington's are good just shoot the mossberg more and the mossberg 590a1 is what has a sling on it.

tenntornado 11-17-2012 16:25

I own 3 870s that I have shot extensively one being a 870P,
I also own 2 Mossbergs ,one is a 500 the other is a 590A1,I am starting to like the Mossberg design a little better and have made the 590A1 my go to HD shotgun,the 870P is going to my son in law for Xmas.

concretefuzzynuts 11-17-2012 16:34

I have owned both. I like them both but the Mossberg is, in my opinion a better design and more user friendly.

I finally chose (and happened be lucky enough to find a used one that had never been fired) a 590A1 modified by Vang Comp. I couldn't be happier.

https://vangcomp.com/Mossberg_590.html

Lugi 11-17-2012 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landmonster (Post 19632607)
Hello all.

Title should read "Mossberg vs. Remington"

I want to standardize my eventual defensive shotgun collection on either Remington shotguns (870, 1100, etc), or Mossberg shotguns (590, 930, etc).


My reasons for this are just for standardization purposes. I'd like all my training and muscle memory to be the same across my shotguns...without having to re-learn or cross-train different brand's operating systems. I also want parts compatibility. I also don't really want to have to familiarize myself with 2 different shotgun systems, and learn all the intricacies of each one. I don't feel like the 2 brands are different enough to justify owning both. (My needs are purely defensive, not for collecting!)


So as a whole, is Remington superior to Mossberg? Or is Mossberg superior to Remington? Why?

Discuss.


I was going though the same thing in my mine....I have a 590A1 and also a 870.....it don't make sense to me having two different platforms in a shotgun. I'm going with the mossberg, and getting a another 590a1 and selling my 870. I had 2 other moss over the years and NEVER should have sold them....

But on the real....get the one that feels natural to you.

Mad Ryan 11-18-2012 10:10

If you're gonna run a pistol grip stock of any sort get a Remington. If you're gonna stick with a standard stock get a Mossberg 590A1. Both great shottys but the ergos make them favor those setups a bit.

porschedog 11-18-2012 10:29

Choose the one that YOU like best

WayaX 11-18-2012 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Ryan (Post 19644083)
If you're gonna run a pistol grip stock of any sort get a Remington. If you're gonna stick with a standard stock get a Mossberg 590A1

This. The Mossberg safety position does not lend itself to pistol grip stocks. It is, however, superior when using a traditional stock. That would be the only deciding factor for deciding for these two rifles for me (870P vs 590A1).

F106 Fan 11-18-2012 13:53

OP, it sounds like you have a lot of good reasons for going with Mossberg. So, go for it!

I have a couple of 870 tacticals but my real love is my Benelli M4. Now that's a shotgun!

Even given 3 tactical shotguns, I still can't come up with a scenario where they are useful for CQB. I just can't imagine clearing a house with a long weapon like a shotgun.

Since I have more than a passing familiarity with handguns, they would be my first choice for CQB. Lightweight and easily maneuverable.

Richard

Mad Ryan 11-18-2012 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by F106 Fan (Post 19644712)
OP, it sounds like you have a lot of good reasons for going with Mossberg. So, go for it!

I have a couple of 870 tacticals but my real love is my Benelli M4. Now that's a shotgun!

Even given 3 tactical shotguns, I still can't come up with a scenario where they are useful for CQB. I just can't imagine clearing a house with a long weapon like a shotgun.

Since I have more than a passing familiarity with handguns, they would be my first choice for CQB. Lightweight and easily maneuverable.

Richard

This. I've snatched alot of weapons from folks trying to clear buildings in training with long guns. Sure, knowing how to pie off a corner is handy but sometimes you just don't have the room to do it properly. A good handgun with a light mounted like my Glock 34 is the bomb.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.