Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cop Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   "I confronted evil in the parking lot. And evil was not gonna leave there." (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453065)

ronduke 11-14-2012 03:44

"I confronted evil in the parking lot. And evil was not gonna leave there."

Wisconsin officers narrate Sikh temple shooting (with dash cam video)

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...flexGridModule

seanmac45 11-14-2012 07:39

Two guys with a lot of heart.

God bless them both.

scottydl 11-14-2012 08:26

Amazing! The Lt.'s more extended interview was posted here recently too. Should be required watching for all officers, on the importance of "will to live" in these situations.

EDIT: here's the other interview... http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450185

x_out86 11-14-2012 09:46

Great story that needs to be told.

Best wishes in recovery to Lt. Murphy.

yamen1999 11-14-2012 10:06

I am not LE and I am just learning tactics with firearms. I watched both videos of the shooting at the temple and the bravery displayed is awsome.

My question here is why didn't the first officer use his car and get closer to the shooter and use his car as cover?

golls17 11-14-2012 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamen1999 (Post 19630146)
I am not LE and I am just learning tactics with firearms. I watched both videos of the shooting at the temple and the bravery displayed is awsome.

My question here is why didn't the first officer use his car and get closer to the shooter and use his car as cover?

Cover or not, distance is your friend. Sure, you may be less likely to hit your target at that distance, but you're also less likely to get hit. Plus, the second officer was using a rifle as opposed to the shooter using a hand gun, giving him even more advantage over distance.

Plus there's often a misconception that cars are good cover. There are very few parts of the car I'd trust to stop a round. I cringe when I see cops crouched behind door with their head popped out over the top of it in the "V" between the door frame and the car frame (is that the pillar) and basically have their gun resting on the mirror and their entire torso is exposed by the window. Is a car door better than nothing? Absolutely, and sometimes that's all there is. But if using the car and given the half second extra, get it at an angle and get down behind the engine block, and hope the other guy doesn't know about ricochet...

When used properly, yes a car can be good cover. But remember that does not include the windows.

Just my 2 cents.

IndyGunFreak 11-14-2012 11:10

Quote:

"My thought was, 'If I can't shoot him, I'm gonna run him over, but he's not leaving this parking lot and he's not getting back inside the church," Lenda said.

"He was on a mission. I say, I confronted evil in the parking lot. And evil was not gonna leave there."
That's someone that was prepared to win at all cost.

Well done Officer Lenda, and get well soon Lt. Murphy.

scottydl 11-14-2012 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamen1999 (Post 19630146)

Having seen/read most of the press on this shooting... when Lt. Murphy arrived, he noticed two victims down in the parking lot and that was his focus. It wasn't until a few seconds after he stepped out of his car that he encountered the shooter running from the building. i.e. he had no idea where the shooter was and already left the vehicle when the threat arose.

Side note, very few parts of a car offer cover... only concealment (BIG difference) which is worthless when the BG has already seen you. Unlike TV and movies, pistol rounds will go through most parts of a car, and rifle rounds will go through almost EVERYTHING including solid steel wheels. Engine block is perhaps the one exception, and if you huddled behind that then you are not actively fighting (which you should be).

Better cover is something more solid & more narrow (than a car) that you can still "pie out" and shoot around, i.e. large trees, corners of stone buildings, fire hydrants (if prone), etc.

Kelo6 11-14-2012 17:10

Prayers for their recovery, both psychologically and physically.

As already stated, the proper combat mindset is so important, and keeping yourself proficient with your weapons is too.

BL33D 4 M3 11-14-2012 17:15

Lt. Murphy is squared away. So glad he survived and best wished for a full recovery.

flw 11-14-2012 18:40

These are our hero's.

Thank You

FLglockdude 11-14-2012 18:52

This video is absolutely why every police officer should be able to arm themselves with a rifle.

Agent6-3/8 11-14-2012 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLglockdude (Post 19632049)
This video is absolutely why every police officer should be able to arm themselves with a rifle.

+1

While I'm also a fan of the trusty old shotgun, the added rate of fire and precision of a rifle makes it a very valuable tool.

Prayers for both of these men!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Cochese 11-14-2012 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottydl (Post 19629846)
Amazing! The Lt.'s more extended interview was posted here recently too. Should be required watching for all officers, on the importance of "will to live" in these situations.

EDIT: here's the other interview... http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450185

I played that for my shift after I finished roll call the other day. It was the first time I've seen everyone shut up. :supergrin:

Two badasses, right there.

:patriot:

windpoint 11-14-2012 21:00

I live 10 miles south of Oak Creek. It's usually a very quiet area. Not an urban dirtball city. On a Sunday morning, no one would expect this, but we have had a number of high shooting incidents in Southeast Wisconsin. To be caught by surprise they did such a great job. We are all very proud of them.

OFCJIM40 11-14-2012 22:17

Yup, I saw this on the ABC Nightly News the other day and they are both certified badasses. Both with the warrior mentality. I liked Lenda a lot. Had a very old school air to him, mustache and all, but he brought the business hard. I like a salty veteran that's ready to take care of business.

blastfact 11-15-2012 20:02

These story's and video needs to be shared with the public more. And I'm very glad to hear that the responding backup was ready to use his squad as a weapon. Never forget your wheels are a awesome weapon.