Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   If you can't kill it with a 9mm, you need a rifle (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452866)

Andy W 11-12-2012 19:49

If you can't kill it with a 9mm, you need a rifle

That about sums up what I've come to think about the debate between various service calibers in pistols. I mean, maybe .40 and .45 are marginally better than 9mm but really, it's not gonna make that big of a differene. If you ever encounter a situation where several center mass hits with quality 9mm ammo can't take care of it, you need to either 1) consider retreating or 2.) get to a long gun if that isn't an option. If you really think about it, if it's not dying after beiing hit with a 9mm, that little bit of extra power a .40 or .45 offers probably won't make a difference.

What do you guys think?

flw 11-12-2012 19:56

As the saying goes,

"Never take a handgun to a rifle fight"

I don't care what the pistol caliber is.

TK-421 11-12-2012 19:58

I think I like .40 because it has a bigger boom than 9mm, what do you say to that? :tongueout:

Marine123 11-12-2012 20:01

I like all guns and rifles in general. They all do what they are supposed to do when SHTF. Unless........

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

purrrfect 10 11-12-2012 20:05

If the 9mm is all you can handle I can see why you would think it is the best. DON"T discredit others for shooting much more superior rounds. That said there is no better pistol the a Glock 20 10mm if you can handle it? if not stick to what you can, hell ya might want to try a 22 if the 9 is a little snappy for ya. I say it is what you are comfortable with. 9 mm is like shooting a bb gun to me never would want one see no need for one for me it is a useless round
FOR ME :perfect10: doesn't get any better

Andy W 11-12-2012 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19624845)
I think I like .40 because it has a bigger boom than 9mm, what do you say to that? :tongueout:

Bigger boom and kick but not much more effective than 9mm IMO

flw 11-12-2012 20:09

On pistols only, you choose that largest caliber you can accurately shoot. If it a 22 then that's it, Doesn't matter what caliber you almost hit the target with.

TK-421 11-12-2012 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy W (Post 19624877)
Bigger boom and kick but not much more effective than 9mm IMO

More effective? Eh, maybe, maybe not, I haven't formed an opinion because I haven't shot enough different calibers. I was just trying to give you some s*** from an angle I don't see too often. :tongueout:

uz2bUSMC 11-12-2012 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy W (Post 19624807)
That about sums up what I've come to think about the debate between various service calibers in pistols. I mean, maybe .40 and .45 are marginally better than 9mm but really, it's not gonna make that big of a differene. If you ever encounter a situation where several center mass hits with quality 9mm ammo can't take care of it, you need to either 1) consider retreating or 2.) get to a long gun if that isn't an option. If you really think about it, if it's not dying after beiing hit with a 9mm, that little bit of extra power a .40 or .45 offers probably won't make a difference.

What do you guys think?

Maybe you should start thinking about stopping a threat instead of killing it.

Andy W 11-12-2012 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC (Post 19624894)
Maybe you should start thinking about stopping a threat instead of killing it.

You know what I meant smartass :tongueout:

cowboy1964 11-12-2012 20:33

What do I think? I think I'm tired of these debates. The .38 Special was king in law enforcement for a freaking long time. It did the job too.

Andy W 11-12-2012 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19624888)
More effective? Eh, maybe, maybe not, I haven't formed an opinion because I haven't shot enough different calibers. I was just trying to give you some s*** from an angle I don't see too often. :tongueout:

Not sure where this came from but I remember somebody joking about how people that carry .40s are trying to compensate for something. :tongueout:

TK-421 11-12-2012 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy W (Post 19624959)
Not sure where this came from but I remember somebody joking about how people that carry .40s are trying to compensate for something. :tongueout:

Oh most definitely, I'm trying to compensate for being new to firearms and being an awful shot. :rofl: I have issues hitting the broad side of a barn. Need to get more money so I can get more range time, and hopefully I can learn how to shoot accurately.

uz2bUSMC 11-12-2012 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19624971)
Oh most definitely, I'm trying to compensate for being new to firearms and being an awful shot. :rofl: I have issues hitting the broad side of a barn. Need to get more money so I can get more range time, and hopefully I can learn how to shoot accurately.

Dry fire, it's free. If you know how and can apply the fundamentals when you are dry firing it's nothing more than discipline when you're at the range and you know it's gonna go boom instead of click. (target shooting that is)

uz2bUSMC 11-12-2012 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy W (Post 19624952)
You know what I meant smartass :tongueout:

Well, specifics help in CC. You and others may think there is no difference within the service calibers and that's fine. I often see the 9mm crowd defending their choice but there is really no need. If it's fine for you then that's all that really matters. 9mm is fine types should just spend more time in the "what works best in 9mm these days" type threads. After all, if it all works the same there is no need for a 9mm guy to be in CC besides ammo selection.

Funny thing is many 9mm guys defend it with a ton of tenacity and others question wether it's enough. I never really here anyone doubt that the .357 mag is an astounding man stopper. Sure, people choose 9mm over the .357 but it's usually because of platform not reputation.

countrygun 11-12-2012 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy W (Post 19624807)

What do you guys think?

I can eventually kill most anything with most any gun, or it will eventually die from the wounds.

I think my handloads especially in a .41, .44, or 10mm may cause me a bit less concern by hurrying the project along.

I do hunt with a handgun and, no I don't consider the 9mm as effective at killing a large animal as a heavier pistol, but I don't "need" a rifle at less than 100yds.

RWBlue 11-12-2012 21:19

For people, 9 is fine. If you make the shot, there isn't enough difference between it and 460S&W to live on.

For animals, as a hunter I can tell you there are things in between the 9mm and a rifle like thee 44mag. There is a difference.

unit1069 11-12-2012 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC (Post 19625047)
Funny thing is many 9mm guys defend it with a ton of tenacity and others question wether it's enough. I never really here anyone doubt that the .357 mag is an astounding man stopper. Sure, people choose 9mm over the .357 but it's usually because of platform not reputation.

Believe it or not I recall at least one GT thread where one or two Facklerites did devalue the legendary .357 Magnum's reputation. I remember it very well because I located a graphic of the "perfect wound profile" created by Fackler himself that still failed to sway the GT members who refused to give the Magnum its proper credit.

9mm +p+ 11-12-2012 23:13

I carry 9 and 45, but from a pistol the bigger hole seems to me to make more sense.

NEOH212 11-13-2012 03:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ (Post 19625561)
I carry 9 and 45, but from a pistol the bigger hole seems to me to make more sense.

The 9mm fits into the, "It might be small but it fit's them all" category. Kind of like the jack of all trades but the master of none.

While we are on the subject of comparing sizes I'll say the following:

Size does matter and the bigger the hole the more it bleeds!

With that said, I'll gladly take the .45 any day!

:supergrin: