Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What's the deal with tacticool? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452420)

USMCgs3 11-10-2012 09:38

What's the deal with tacticool?

What's the deal with these older generation men walking around in Walmart and the lgs wearing combat boots, tactical pants and web belts while sporting a big fixed blade knife on their belt? I know it's a free country but what or who exactly are they trying to portray them selfs as? One guy in walmart was convinced that his grandson needed a huge camo "day pack" backpack for school, the kid was maybe 4 years old... Couldn't even walk with that pack on, much less full of school supplies. But gramps was all
Decked out like he is waiting to go on a Op. I guess it's similar to all the gun videos on YouTube where they all are tacked up while shooting in their backyard. I just laugh at these guys and wonder... Do they really think they are High speed operators or what? Lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Kingarthurhk 11-10-2012 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCgs3 (Post 19615886)
What's the deal with these older generation men walking around in Walmart and the lgs wearing combat boots, tactical pants and web belts while sporting a big fixed blade knife on their belt? I know it's a free country but what or who exactly are they trying to portray them selfs as? One guy in walmart was convinced that his grandson needed a huge camo "day pack" backpack for school, the kid was maybe 4 years old... Couldn't even walk with that pack on, much less full of school supplies. But gramps was all
Decked out like he is waiting to go on a Op. I guess it's similar to all the gun videos on YouTube where they all are tacked up while shooting in their backyard. I just laugh at these guys and wonder... Do they really think they are High speed operators or what? Lol

I think they are:

1. Reconnecting with their fading sense of maculinity as the declining years come about.

2. Trying to look like someone you wouldn't want to mess with as a defense mechanism. You see this a lot in nature. Animals make themselves look bigger than they are in an attempt to not be messed with.

All and all, I understand where they are comming from.

1-2man 11-10-2012 09:49

Any gear recommendations? I think I'm ready to join the fad.

Sporaticus 11-10-2012 09:56

It's hunting season. Maybe they have been hunting, are going hunting, hunting clothes are in the rotation, or just like wearing camo during the hunting season.

I often wear a camoflauge shirt to Walgreens or Lowes during the winter. I don't wear the trousers because it looks silly, and I don't want to get the scent on my hunting clothes. But maybe they are small game hunters.

Did their choice of apparel do you any harm?

bocephus549 11-10-2012 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-2man (Post 19615910)
Any gear recommendations? I think I'm ready to join the fad.

This should get you started.

[URL="http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Pants/Tactical-Pants.html?gclid=CL-x0ojvxLMCFQeynQodk1sAJQ"]/URL]

Diesel McBadass 11-10-2012 10:12

whats with anti tacticool being a new fad? Seems a man cant put a rail on a gun without being called a mall ninja.

Bruce M 11-10-2012 11:03

Camouflage - not just for the woods anymore

http://www.weddingplanninglink.com/u...ves_490496.jpg

HollowHead 11-10-2012 11:12

They're still bitter over being rejected for military service forty years ago. HH

Kingarthurhk 11-10-2012 11:22

Yuppie.

http://media1.policymic.com/site/art...6412/photo.jpg

Adjuster 11-10-2012 11:27

I like the idea of the vest and pants with all the pockets. Could not be more practical. I just don't want to look like a tool wearing them.

/

napp32 11-10-2012 12:57

I see a lot of that on Sunday afternoon where I live. Many of the older guys don't bother to change clothes before they head downtown after church. :whistling:

M2 Carbine 11-10-2012 13:21

I don't see that but I wouldn't be suprised since it's hunting season.

Hamilton Burger 11-10-2012 13:41

I see middle aged and older couples wearing matching "tactical" vests. :dunno:

USMCgs3 11-10-2012 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporaticus (Post 19615931)
It's hunting season. Maybe they have been hunting, are going hunting, hunting clothes are in the rotation, or just like wearing camo during the hunting season.

I often wear a camoflauge shirt to Walgreens or Lowes during the winter. I don't wear the trousers because it looks silly, and I don't want to get the scent on my hunting clothes. But maybe they are small game hunters.

Did their choice of apparel do you any harm?

I didn't say anything about camo, hell I wear camo sometimes. But these guys I see are wearing 5.11 style pants, tucked in t-shirts showing off their gut. But these aren't hunting knives, more like the funky looking crooked knives that are supposed to be more "ergo"? And this guy one on each side of his pants lol. Idk I'm not into tactical and high speed stuff, had to wear that in the Military. Not interested in having that many pockets anymore, no use. Maybe your right though... Maybe it's their hunting set up, or maybe they watch too much Sons of Guns... could go either way. It kinda does bother me though, but I get a good laugh about it at their expense so it all good.

USMCgs3 11-10-2012 13:49

Heck they may be laughing at me in my bright color Columbia fishing shirt... But I go to our house in rockport once a month so it ain't for the heck of it. That's just what I wear. So maybe it's the same for them.

TheExplorer 11-10-2012 13:52

All I know is is that I walk the other way when I see people like this.:supergrin:

Angry Fist 11-10-2012 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamilton Burger (Post 19616556)
I see middle aged and older couples wearing matching "tactical" vests. :dunno:

There's an older couple I see often that have matching raid jackets.

Keoking 11-10-2012 13:58

If I wanted to get tacticool, I would wear the exact setup worn by Brad and Angelina at the end of Mr and Mrs Smith.

Fitted 3 piece suit
Yellow tinted shooting glasses
Plastic body armor capable of stopping rifle rounds :supergrin:

itstime 11-10-2012 13:58

I love vests and pants with pockets and yes I try to tone it down so I do t look the part. The stuff is practical for sure.

mac66 11-10-2012 14:00

What's the deal with people going to Walmart and then asking whats the deal with what people wear there? It's friggin' Walmart for Pete's sake. Enough said.

herose 11-10-2012 14:12

I wear 511 pants often because I'm issued a buttload of them with my dept. So that's just pants that I don't have to buy. Other than that I'm a bluejeans kind of guy.

But I know what you're saying. I used to think the same thing when a while back seemed like everybody and their brother was sporting a bluetooth phone thingy in their ear and walking and talking like they were Donald Trump making million dollar deals on the move.

dakrat 11-10-2012 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2 Carbine (Post 19616497)
I don't see that but I wouldn't be suprised since it's hunting season.

ding ding ding.

RonS 11-10-2012 14:31

Practical, tough, long wearing clothing. And when you say "web belts" are we talking LBE or riggers belts?

1 It's November, watch out for deer.

2 I just came from my LGS where people buying CCH handguns were waiting in line to be waited on and there was a YL at the front desk answering questions on CHL classes. While I was paying for my electronic ear muffs three people got fliers and directions to where the nearest classes are held.

Plus, you are in Walmart, be very glad the oddest thing you saw was tacticool, not BBW fetishwear.

Chuck TX 11-10-2012 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac66 (Post 19616615)
What's the deal with people going to Walmart and then asking whats the deal with what people wear there? It's friggin' Walmart for Pete's sake. Enough said.

Indeed. After so many trips to Walmart no attire strikes me as odd anymore.

Walt_NC 11-10-2012 15:57

Some people really want to be perceived a certain way and so they play dress up in an effort to 'look the part'. No different than suburban soccer moms wearing $500 Arcteryx or North Face jackets when a $90 jacket will do.