Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Man with gun in Walmart arrested for refusing to show permit (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452287)

TBO 11-09-2012 12:45

Man with gun in Walmart arrested for refusing to show permit

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/d...nclick_check=1

badge315 11-09-2012 12:54

The one natural resource we seem to have an endless supply of is stupid people. :upeyes:

Sam Spade 11-09-2012 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by badge315 (Post 19612931)
The one natural resource we seem to have an endless supply of is stupid people. :upeyes:

If there were only some way to harness that resource at the national level.....just think of what we could do!

Oh, that's right. :cool:

JW1178 11-09-2012 13:18

Did the LEO prove he was in fact a LEO or just walmart security?

Still, once again, we have yet another activist standing his ground asking for trouble, and he got trouble.

TBO 11-09-2012 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW1178 (Post 19613013)

Still, once again, we have yet another activist standing his ground asking for trouble, and he got trouble.

I think putting him in jail might have proven it.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

Bruce M 11-09-2012 13:26

Quote:

I am guesing that somewhere between the walk outside away from Walmart, the ride however far it was, and then the walk into the Polk County Jail Mr. Alivonta had a clue or should have had a clue that he had successfully advanced from Walmart security to the local constabulary.

Tongo 11-09-2012 13:27

Quote:

"Alivonta had a permit to purchase firearms and one to carry a gun but repeatedly refused to show them to Butler, who was working security in uniform at the store."

I'd take it to mean he WAS wearing his LEO uniform and as such, it should have been fairly obvious to most individuals that he was in fact a LEO.

cowboywannabe 11-09-2012 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Spade (Post 19612955)
If there were only some way to harness that resource at the national level.....just think of what we could do!

the democrats have successfully harnessed the power of the stupid. does that count?

IndyGunFreak 11-09-2012 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Spade (Post 19612955)

:rofl:

Well done

TK-421 11-09-2012 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tongo (Post 19613049)
"Alivonta had a permit to purchase firearms and one to carry a gun but repeatedly refused to show them to Butler, who was working security in uniform at the store."

I'd take it to mean he WAS wearing his LEO uniform and as such, it should have been fairly obvious to most individuals that he was in fact a LEO.

It doesn't specify which uniform he was wearing. Was he wearing a Walmart Security Guard uniform, or a Police Officer uniform? My guess would be a Walmart Security Guard Uniform, because if I saw a guy wearing that uniform, and he didn't announce himself as an off duty cop, I'd tell him to buzz off when he asked to see my permit. But if the cop was wearing his police uniform, then the guy shouldn't be allowed to carry his gun for being so stupid. If a cop in uniform asked to see my permit, I'd show it to him, required by law or not, because I'd consider it polite, presuming I was required to have a permit to open carry.

However, this is exactly the kind of reason why I prefer concealed carry. Because when done properly, the cop would have had 0 idea the guy was armed, and he wouldn't be in his current predicament.

IndyGunFreak 11-09-2012 13:39

By the way, dude was a Class A idiot.

I'm sure some of the more radical gun forums are already talking about how the police violated his rights and have started a legal defense fund.

cowboy1964 11-09-2012 13:39

You need a permit to purchase firearms in Iowa??

cowboy1964 11-09-2012 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19613072)
It doesn't specify which uniform he was wearing. Was he wearing a Walmart Security Guard uniform, or a Police Officer uniform? My guess would be a Walmart Security Guard Uniform.

My guess would be his duty uniform. Around here off-duty cops working private security always wear their duty uniforms.

Sam Spade 11-09-2012 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy1964 (Post 19613093)
My guess would be his duty uniform. Around here off-duty cops working private security always wear their duty uniforms.

It's unheard of here for a sworn officer to put on a square badge to work security. There is absolutely zero upside for either the cop or the extra-duty employer. Let me emphasize that: Absolutely zero. There are a series of downsides for the cop, the employer and the department.

It's just not done.

Tongo 11-09-2012 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19613072)
It doesn't specify which uniform he was wearing. Was he wearing a Walmart Security Guard uniform, or a Police Officer uniform? My guess would be a Walmart Security Guard Uniform, because if I saw a guy wearing that uniform, and he didn't announce himself as an off duty cop, I'd tell him to buzz off when he asked to see my permit. But if the cop was wearing his police uniform, then the guy shouldn't be allowed to carry his gun for being so stupid. If a cop in uniform asked to see my permit, I'd show it to him, required by law or not, because I'd consider it polite, presuming I was required to have a permit to open carry.

However, this is exactly the kind of reason why I prefer concealed carry. Because when done properly, the cop would have had 0 idea the guy was armed, and he wouldn't be in his current predicament.

As we don't have security guards at our WalMart, I didn't realize the have their own...though I should have thought of that.

JohnBT 11-09-2012 14:08

I didn't know Walmart issued security uniforms. I've never seen one here.

I searched google images and didn't see any. :dunno:

John

BamaBud 11-09-2012 14:09

This is in Iowa, who just went for Obama. Figures.

TK-421 11-09-2012 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tongo (Post 19613132)
As we don't have security guards at our WalMart, I didn't realize the have their own...though I should have thought of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBT (Post 19613174)
I didn't know Walmart issued security uniforms. I've never seen one here.

I searched google images and didn't see any. :dunno:

John

Generally, from what I've seen, Walmart doesn't have "Walmart" branded security, they'll contract that out. Securitas is what I see a lot. I've seen a few security guards wandering around my walmart, but it's not an everyday occurrence.

JJohnson 11-09-2012 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy1964 (Post 19613089)
You need a permit to purchase firearms in Iowa??

To purchase handguns only or you need a permit to carry. Long guns need no special permits.

JJohnson 11-09-2012 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaBud (Post 19613184)
This is in Iowa, who just went for Obama. Figures.

God knows that no other state has open carry idiots looking for attention.

We also let gays from Alabama come up here and get married. Tell your friends.

Chuck TX 11-09-2012 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJohnson (Post 19613235)
To purchase handguns only or you need a permit to carry. Long guns need no special permits.

How...progressive.

hamster 11-09-2012 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Spade (Post 19613113)
It's unheard of here for a sworn officer to put on a square badge to work security. There is absolutely zero upside for either the cop or the extra-duty employer. Let me emphasize that: Absolutely zero. There are a series of downsides for the cop, the employer and the department.

It's just not done.

Agreed. I would hope any officer would be wearing their department uniform. I place orders of magnitude more trust in police officers than some strange "store security" guys.

I don't know the law where this guy was, but I don't see a problem with showing ID when asked and given a valid reason. Unfortunately the sheeple fear armed citizens, but the officer was simply doing his job here.

pipedreams 11-09-2012 14:46

According to the article he was outside carrying which is rather dumb to start with but does not require a CC permit. I'm suspect of the article since it says he had a permit to carry as well as a permit to purchase a handgun. It seems rather dumb to go to the sheriff's office pay and wait to get a permit to purchase a handgun if you already have a CC permit. If you do not have a CC in Iowa you have to apply for a permit to purchase a handgun which is good for a year. I suspect the author may be a bit behind on what the law is.

The first comment is rather interesting.

JJohnson 11-09-2012 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck TX (Post 19613281)
How...progressive.

Yep. It's also freezing cold in the winter and broiling hot in the summer.

TK-421 11-09-2012 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck TX (Post 19613281)
How...progressive.

At least they get to open carry. :tongueout: